• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:10 PM

I'm sure there are many companies who would be willing to take the risk that Cojocaru might become injured and not be concerned with her perfectionism. Her "Sleeping Beauty" (one of the greatest performances I've ever seen [on a NY visit]) and "Giselle" had NYers running out of superlatives.

Carla Korbes is on the delicate side with regard to injuries, although more recently she's had the hard luck of having injured partners. It's part of the privilege of seeing some of the world's great dancers.

Well with Cojocaru when Polunin (whom they were grooming to be the next major star) suddenly left, the Royal let it be known to the presses that the preceding event was a disastrous rehearsal with Cojocaru. Tense rehearsals are part of the business, but the fact that the Royal Ballet talked about it openly was a sign to me that they blamed Cojocaru or she no longer had the support of the management.

The times I've seen Cojocaru she's been exquisite, but the last time I saw her (in Giselle) she seemed racked by injuries. She's said many times that in Kiev she sustained a bad foot injury but over-danced through the injury that never really healed and accumulated more injuries. I don't blame her if she just wants to give her body a break and choose a less demanding schedule.

#17 Lynette H

Lynette H

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:35 AM

Cojocaru gave an interview just a month ago where she sounded happier with the RB than she had been for some time, which makes this more surprising.

http://www.theartsde...jocaru?page=0,1

#18 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

How long is it before Johan retires, as he is about 10 years older than Alina, they did mention about a family in an interview but said the time would have to be right due to their many commitments and difference in ages.

#19 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

a "Cojocaru and Kobborg and Friends" gala is part of Sarasota Ballet's Ashton festival next April (details yet to be revealed).

#20 Terez

Terez

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

Well, I'm certainly all ears about what happens to them next. Living in CA, it would have been doubtful that I'd see her perform in either London or NYC, but I'm still all caught up in this very big news. Enjoyed reading everyone's comments!

#21 mnmom

mnmom

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

Alina Cojocaru and Johan Kobborg are leaving the Royal Ballet after the summer tour to Japan. Their last performance at the Royal Opera House will be on 5 June in Mayerling. News came in a press release from the Royal Ballet this morning,

Both have appeared with a new ballet company called Crystal Ballet that produces new works specifically for digital download. The company's first release was a four-part production called Genesis that featured dancers from The Royal Ballet (including Sarah Lamb and Steven McCrae), The English Ballet and Kobberg from the Royal Danish Ballet.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):