This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Fall Season at the Koch

I asked one of the ABT Friends staffers this week when they expect to announce the fall schedule. She checked with somebody who would know, I gather, and said it probably won't be announced until the Met season is completed. I believe the City Center schedule was announced in July and that was for a week in October, so it wouldn't surprise me if we get a July announcement for the first two weeks in November.

Hooray!! I have been very curious to see Twyla Tharp's "Bach Partita" since the Partita in D Minor (or at least the Chaconne at its conclusion) is my very favorite piece of classical music!! (And it was premiered on my birthday.)

Hopefully they find a good violinist to play the pieces, or I will be very disappointed...

Forgive me, doing this from an iPad. Here's the release.

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S FALL 2013 SEASON
AT THE DAVID H. KOCH THEATER ANNOUNCED

SEASON TO FEATURE WORLD PREMIERE OF
THE TEMPEST BY ALEXEI RATMANSKY
AND REVIVALS OF TWYLA THARP’S BACH PARTITA,
MICHEL FOKINE’S LES SYLPHIDES, MARK MORRIS’ GONG
AND STANTON WELCH’S CLEAR

BOX OFFICE OPENS MONDAY, JULY 22

​The World Premiere of The Tempest by Alexei Ratmansky will highlight American Ballet Theatre’s inaugural Fall season at the David H. Koch Theater, October 30-November 10, 2013. The Fall 2013 season, announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie, will also feature revivals of Bach Partita by Twyla Tharp, Les Sylphides by Michel Fokine, Gong by Mark Morris and Clear by Stanton Welch.
Principal Dancers for the engagement include Paloma Herrera, Julie Kent, Gillian Murphy, Veronika Part, Xiomara Reyes, Polina Semionova, Hee Seo, Herman Cornejo, Marcelo Gomes, Daniil Simkin and Cory Stearns.
​Alexei Ratmansky’s The Tempest will serve as the centerpiece of American Ballet Theatre’s opening night Fall Gala benefit on Wednesday evening, October 30 at 6:30p.m. The program will also include George Balanchine’s Theme and Variations, followed by a black-tie dinner dance on the Promenade of the David H. Koch Theater. Julia Koch, Lauren Santo Domingo and Caryn Zucker will serve as Co-Chairs for the evening. Honoree Adrienne Arsht will receive the 2013 Melville Straus Leadership Achievement Award. Gala benefit tickets start at $1,500. For

WORLD PREMIERE
The Tempest, a ballet in one act choreographed by Artist in Residence Alexei Ratmansky and set to music written for the Shakespeare play by Jean Sibelius, will be given its World Premiere on Wednesday evening, October 30. Adapted from William Shakespeare’s play The Tempest, the ballet will feature sets and costumes by Santo Loquasto and lighting by Robert Wierzel. Tony Award-winning director Mark Lamos will serve as the production’s dramaturg. The Tempest will be given five performances at the David H. Koch Theater.

REVIVAL PREMIERES
​American Ballet Theatre’s 2013 Fall season will feature the revival premieres of Michel Fokine’s Les Sylphides, Twyla Tharp’s Bach Partita and Mark Morris’ Gong on Friday evening, November 1.
​Set to music by Frederic Chopin, Les Sylphides, a one act plotless work, was given its Company Premiere at Ballet Theatre’s inaugural performance on January 11, 1940 at the Center Theatre in New York City. The ballet received its first performance at the Maryinsky Theatre, St. Petersburg on March 8, 1908. Les Sylphides, which features scenery by Alexandre Benois and lighting by David K.H. Elliott, was last performed by ABT in 2005. Staged for ABT by Susan Jones, the ballet will be given four performances during the Fall season.
​Set to Johann Sebastian Bach’s Partita No. 2 in D minor for solo violin, Twyla Tharp’s Bach Partita features costumes by Santo Loquasto and lighting by Jennifer Tipton. The work received its World Premiere by ABT in 1983 at The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. danced by Cynthia Gregory, Martine van Hamel, Magali Messac, Fernando Bujones, Clark Tippet and Robert La Fosse. Last performed by ABT in 1985, Bach Partita will be given four performances at the David H. Koch Theater.

Mark Morris’ Gong, last performed by ABT in 2005, is to music by Colin McPhee (Tabuh-Tabuhan) and features costumes by Isaac Mizrahi and lighting by Michael Chybowski. It received its World Premiere by ABT in 2001. Gong, staged for ABT by Tina Fehlandt, will be given four performances at the David H. Koch Theater.
​Stanton Welch’s Clear, set to Bach violin concertos, will receive its Revival Premiere at the matinee on November 2. Created for American Ballet Theatre in 2001, Clear has costumes by Michael Kors for Céline and lighting by Lisa Pinkham. The ballet, which will have four performances at the Koch Theater, was last performed by ABT in 2007.

RETURNING REPERTORY
​American Ballet Theatre’s 2013 Fall season at the David H. Koch Theater will also include performances of George Balanchine’s Theme and Variations, Alexei Ratmansky’s Piano Concerto #1 which premiered during ABT’s 2013 Spring season at the Metropolitan Opera House, José Limón’s The Moor’s Pavane and Frederick Ashton’s A Month in the Country.

​Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2013 Fall season at the David H. Koch Theater start at $20 and go on sale Monday, July 22 at the Koch Theater box office, by phone at 212-496-0600. For more information or to order online, please visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

American Airlines is the Official Airline of American Ballet Theatre. Northern Trust is the Leading Corporate Sponsor of the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School at American Ballet Theatre. ABT is supported, in part, with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts; the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature; and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in partnership with the City Council.

David H. Koch is the Lead Underwriter of The Tempest. This production is generously supported through an endowed gift from the Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works

Fund. Arlene and Harvey Blau and an anonymous donor are Leading Sponsors. Mary Jo and Ted Shen are Sponsors. Additional support has also been generously provided by Michael and Sue Steinberg.

David H. Koch is the Lead Underwriter of Piano Concerto #1. This production is generously supported through an endowed gift from the Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund. The Susan and Leonard Feinstein Foundation is the Premier Sponsor, and Linda Allard is the Premier Sponsor of costumes for this production. Mary Jo and Ted Shen, Mrs. Marjorie S. Isaac, and an anonymous donor are Leading Sponsors. Edward and Caroline Hyman, Charlotte and Macdonald Mathey, Michele and Steven Pesner, and Michael and Sue Steinberg are Sponsors. Additional support has also been generously provided by Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton E. James, Andrew J. Martin-Weber, and Howard S. Paley. This production has been made possible with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts.

Piano Concerto #1 is co-commissioned by American Ballet Theatre and San Francisco Ballet.

Bach Partita is made possible by the generous support of the JCT Foundation and Leading Underwriters Patsy and Jeff Tarr.

Clear is generously supported through an endowed gift from Cosby W. and Timothy M. George.

Les Sylphides has been made possible with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts. Costumes for Les Sylphides are generously sponsored through the Ellen Everett Kimiatek Costume Preservation Trust.

ABT gratefully thanks Beverly D'Anne for her generous support of the Company's 2013 performances of A Month in the Country.

ABT gratefully acknowledges Mr. and Mrs. John C. Sites, Jr. for their generous support of Theme and Variations through both an endowed gift and an additional special gift for costumes in 2013.

Pretty disappointing in some ways - Les Sylphides of all things - Why? Tharp's - Bach Partita is fine, but why can't they do the Tharp raging success that ABT had - Push Comes to Shove.

No Tudor - that's a disappointment. The only Balanchine is Theme - well I hope Lane/Cornejo are cast.

It all seems to be a pretty arbitrary this and that.

I find the season very interesting. A new Ratmansky and one exploring new territory - and taking a break from recent Russian themes, at least on the explicit level - but engaging the realm of the fantastic and grotesque he handled so remarkably in Firebird. Plus another chance to see one of the Shostakovich ballets that got so much attention this season. And a major Ashton alongside a geat Balanchine ABT usually dances very well (or has in the past), and Les Sylphides. Despite the absence of Tudor, this is repertory that tempts me to come to NY (other circumstances allowing) whatever the cast.

Official casting:

CASTING ANNOUNCED FOR

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S 2013 FALL SEASON

AT DAVID H. KOCH THEATER

Guillaume Côté to Appear as Guest Artist

Casting for American Ballet Theatre’s 2013 Fall Season at the David H. Koch Theater was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

The Opening Night Program on Wednesday, October 30 will be highlighted by the World Premiere of Alexei Ratmansky’s The Tempest led by Marcelo Gomes as Prospero, Daniil Simkin as Ariel, and Herman Cornejo as Caliban. Cory Stearns, Gabe Stone Shayer and James Whiteside will debut in the roles at the Sunday matinee, November 3 performance. The ballet, set in one act, will be performed to music written for the Shakespeare play by Jean Sibelius. Adapted from William Shakespeare’s play The Tempest, the ballet features sets and costumes by Santo Loquasto and lighting by Robert Wierzel. Tony-Award winning director Mark Lamos will serve at the production’s dramaturg.

The Opening Night Gala will also include a new production of George Balanchine’s Theme and Variations danced by Gillian Murphy and James Whiteside, making his debut with ABT in the role. Polina Semionova will debut in the ballet’s leading role opposite Cory Stearns on Saturday evening, November 2. This new production, set to music by Peter Ilyitch Tchiakovsky, features new costumes by Zach Brown, with lighting by David K.H. Elliott.

American Ballet Theatre’s Revival Premiere of Twyla Tharp’s Bach Partita, set for Friday evening November 1, features debuts by Polina Semionova, Gillian Murphy, Stella Abrera, James Whiteside, Marcelo Gomes and Calvin Royal. On Tuesday, November 5, Veronika Part, Paloma Herrera, Isabella Boylston, Jared Matthews, Joseph Gorak and Craig Salstein will debut in the principal roles. Staged by Susan Jones, Bach Partita is set to Johann Sebastian Bach's Partita No. 2 in D minor for solo violin and features costumes by Santo Loquasto and lighting by Jennifer Tipton. Bach Partita was created for ABT in 1983 and was last performed by the Company in 1985.

Michel Fokine’s Les Sylphides will be given its Revival Premiere on Friday, November 1 with Hee Seo, Isabella Boylston and Sarah Lane making their debuts in leading roles. Cory Stearns and Polina Semionova will debut in the leading roles, alongside Veronika Part and Melanie Hamrick, at the matinee on Saturday, November 2. Set to music by Frédéric Chopin, Les Sylphides, a one act plotless work, was given its Company Premiere at Ballet Theatre's inaugural performance on January 11, 1940 at the Center Theatre in New York City. The ballet received its first performance at the Maryinsky Theatre, St. Petersburg on March 8, 1908. Les Sylphides, which features scenery by Alexandre Benois and lighting by David K.H. Elliott, was last performed by ABT in 2005.

The Revival Premiere of Stanton Welch’s Clear will be given at the matinee on Saturday, November 2 featuring Julie Kent and Marcelo Gomes in the leading roles. Sascha Radetsky will debut opposite Paloma Herrera at the evening performance. Clear was created for ABT in 2001 and was last performed in 2007. The ballet is set to Bach violin concertos with costumes by Michael Kors for Céline and lighting by Lisa Pinkham.

Other casting highlights include Julie Kent as Natalia Petrovna and Guest Artist Guillaume Côté, a Principal Dancer with The National Ballet of Canada, as Beliaev in Sir Frederick Ashton’s A Month in the County on Thursday, November 7. Xiomara Reyes and Cory Stearns will debut in these roles at the evening performance, Saturday November 9.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2013 David H. Koch Theater season, beginning at $20, are available online, at the Koch box office or by phone at 212-496-0600. Performance-only tickets for the Opening Night Gala begin at $20. The David H. Koch Theater is located at Lincoln Center, Broadway and 63rd Street in New York City. For more information, visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

American Airlines is the Official Airline of American Ballet Theatre. Northern Trust is the Leading Corporate Sponsor of the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School at American Ballet Theatre. ABT is supported, in part, with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts; the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature; and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in partnership with the City Council.

David H. Koch is the Lead Underwriter of The Tempest. This production is generously supported through an endowed gift from The Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund. Arlene and Harvey Blau and an anonymous donor are Leading Sponsors. Mary Jo and Ted Shen are Sponsors. Additional support has also been generously provided by Michael and Sue Steinberg.

David H. Koch is the Lead Underwriter of Piano Concerto #1. This production is generously supported through an endowed gift from The Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund. The Susan and Leonard Feinstein Foundation is the Premier Sponsor, and Linda Allard is the Premier Sponsor of costumes for this production. Mary Jo and Ted Shen, Mrs. Marjorie S. Isaac, and an anonymous donor are Leading Sponsors. Edward and Caroline Hyman, Charlotte and Macdonald Mathey, Michele and Steven Pesner, and Michael and Sue Steinberg are Sponsors. Additional support has also been generously provided by Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton E. James, Andrew J. Martin-Weber, and Howard S. Paley. This production has been made possible with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts.

Piano Concerto #1 is co-commissioned by American Ballet Theatre and San Francisco Ballet.

Bach Partita is made possible by the generous support of the JCT Foundation and Leading Underwriters Patsy and Jeff Tarr.

Clear is generously supported through an endowed gift from Cosby W. and Timothy M. George. Support for this production is generously provided by The Carl and Marsha Hewitt Foundation.

Les Sylphides has been made possible with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts. Costumes for Les Sylphides are generously sponsored through the Ellen Everett Kimiatek Costume Preservation Trust.

ABT gratefully thanks Beverly D'Anne for her generous support of the Company's 2013 performances of A Month in the Country.

ABT gratefully acknowledges Mr. and Mrs. John C. Sites, Jr. for their generous support of Theme and Variations through both an endowed gift and an additional special Leading Sponsor gift for costumes in 2013. Cindy and Chip Murphy are also Leading Sponsors of Theme and Variations. Additional support has been provided by the Lawrence E. Deutsch Foundation.

I thought for sure they would give Lane a T&V since she's done the role before. Whiteside is picking up an impressive array of roles. I recall Fang being lovely in Sylphides, but evidently she is not cast in that ballet.

Thanks for the casting info Dale.

Thanks Dale for posting this. It's still not on ABT's website.

Lane isn't doing a Theme/Variations?!

Lane had done it with Cornejo in the past. My guess is since he isn't doing it, she isn't doing it. Too bad she was good it T&V, better than most.

I wondered if the casting of Cote in MONTH was in an exchange programme between NBoC and ABT as occurred this past summer between the RDB/RB and ABT? That would be a good thing I agree. Otherwise, I wondered why this would be happening just now as surely there are a goodly number of young ABT dancers for whom this role would be ideal.

I wondered if the casting of Cote in MONTH was in an exchange programme between NBoC and ABT as occurred this past summer between the RDB/RB and ABT? That would be a good thing I agree. Otherwise, I wondered why this would be happening just now as surely there are a goodly number of young ABT dancers for whom this role would be ideal.

Maybe, but I''m not sure about a "goodly" number--it's a role created on one of the world's greatest male dancers and very hard to do right...I missed the spring revival at ABT (would have loved to see Hallberg) but a few years ago did see the Royal's revival with Cope and Pennefeather in the role and neither came close in my opinion, though Cope's partnering skills were on display. (The trickiness of the partnering is another issue as well. I'm plenty nervous about Stearns in the role and he at least has elegant proportions as Dowell did.)