• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

It does seem odd that an entire ballet is dropped due to "back spasms" with one of the principals. The entire company is in Paris, so finding a replacement performer would not have been the difficulty. Perhaps Tomasson just felt like he needed a strategic change for the last program.

#62 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

I'm sure these decisions are not taken lightly, and if they could have found someone they would have. When I was in SF in May something similar happened. They were supposed to do Agon and replaced it with The Fifth Season. Also, they dropped one movement out of Suite en Blanc.
One thing's for sure, it's not easy being an AD and being confronted with these problems; much easier for us armchair artistic directors!

#63 Quiggin

Quiggin

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

With Symphony #9 if one person is out you might have to swich the entire cast since it's such an ensemble piece. The first cast might be composed of smaller dancers and the second larger dancers which also might affect substitutions. 

#64 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

I confess I don't know who was slated for the original cast for Symphony #9, but the decision to go with a different ballet (actually two), and with Froustey dancing with a different partner as well, doesn't seem any easier than replacing the principal in Symphony #9. As KBarber says, these things are not done lightly, but the audience tends to react badly to this type of change. Kind of mars what has otherwise gone well.

I have to say, the company must be exhausted by this point, and simply can't wait for the 2014 Season to be over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):