This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

UPGRADE ISSUES ID'D

I don't have Chrome installed yet, and we're supposed to be Chrome-compatible. I'll try it tomorrow.

In the meantime, I've changed the wording from "BT4Dancers" to "BT4D." Is that visible for you? (You may have to refresh your browser if you're still active in the one you used to post your comment above.)

... the phial of 'upgrade'...

:rofl:

I've danced around The Phial of Upgrade a few too many times in my career, and I can tell you that -- like Juliet -- one always does wake up afterwards but it never, ever works out the way Friar IT Guy promised.

:rofl: :rofl:

I just checked your settings, and yours were displaying the default UI -- all in blue, without our red logo at the top -- instead of our slightly customized one, which includes the link to BT4D. I've changed the settings, and hope you can see it now (or after you've refreshed your browser).

This one is very important -- the quote function is not working properly.

There's a new feature in which when you are in "BBCode Mode" -- i.e., you can see and use all of the controls, like the "Bold" button -- if you quote, in the new post, the quote box appears formatted. This allows you to edit without accidentally deleting the "

]" and "
' formatting, which is great.

The problem is, when you save, the only thing that's saved is this:

or

and the text in the quote box appears below outside the quote box, as if it's part of the new post.

The only thing we can do until this is resolved is to put a divider between what is being quoted and the response:

This is the post quote, this is the post quote, this is the post quote

------------- (or ********************* or //////////////////////////)

This is the response, this is the response, this is the response

=================================================================

Response.

I don't get any option on how to get my response out of the quoted text...sad.png

There's a new feature in which when you are in "BBCode Mode" -- i.e., you can see and use all of the controls, like the "Bold" button -- if you quote, in the new post, the quote box appears formatted. This allows you to edit without accidentally deleting the "

]" and "

or

and the text in the quote box appears below outside the quote box, as if it's part of the new post.

The only thing we can do until this is resolved is to put a divider between what is being quoted and the response:

Response.

I don't get any option on how to get my response out of the quoted text...sad.png

Oh...did I...?

]" and "

or

Response.

Oh...did I...?

For some reason I was able to quote here, but couldn't get out of the blue box in the Moscow competition thread...

The issue that I wrote about was fixed when I changed everything back to the default pages and modified them last Thursday and Friday.

There are two modes of posting:

BBCode mode: If this is on, the formatting controls will be active, like the "B" for bold and the "I" for italic, the quote box, the emoticons/smilies, etc.

If you're in this mode, then the quote should appear within the box, and you can only edit what's in the box, not the"[ quote= [poster, etc.]' ]", "[ /quote] " formatting tabs.

So far, in my limited experience since the first week using a Mac with Firefox, the cursor goes automatically outside the box under the (last) quote. If I edit what's in the quote box, I can get outside the box by clicking the down arrow key.

However, if I try to edit a post on Mac with Firefox where the quote box is at the bottom of the post, the down arrow does not go outside the box, or at least doesn't always. (I've only noticed when it hasn't). In that case, the only way I know how to get outside the box is to get out of "BBCode" mode and use "Plain Text" mode. However, this solution doesn't work for Mac with Safari, at least with my combination of browser version and operating system.

The little light switch, which remains active in BBCode and Plain Text modes, is in the upper left hand corner of the controls, right under "Reply to this topic," and that toggles between modes.

Plain Text mode: If this is on, all controls but the little light switch control will be disabled, the type will look like typewriter type, and all of the controls like "[ b ]" and "[ /b ]" (for bold) and "[ quote='[poster name, etc. " and "[/ quote ] " will be visible. (These aren't the exact formatting tags: when I use them, they format instead of showing the contents.)

Whenever I can't get out of the box in Mac with Firefox, I toggle BBCode mode off with the "light switch", cursor to the bottom after the final "[ /quote ]" code, hit Enter/Return/Carriage Return twice, and then toggle back to BBCode mode with the "light switch" again. Then my cursor is outside the box.

When this happens in Mac with Safari, I have to toggle to Plain Text mode, scroll to after the last quote box, type in anything to create something after the post box, and toggle back to BBMode, where I can edit out what I've just typed or continue to type but still have the formatting controls OR I can continue to type in Plain Text mode and format it myself if I need to.

These are the only two versions I've tried.

Since yesterday afternoon, I'm seeing something different when I go the the site without logging in (I access the site so frequently that I never bother logging in unless I want to post or search).

On the main page I used to see three columns across:

Forums [on the left]

Topics / Replies

Thread / latest poster / date [to the far right]

Since yesterday afternoon (I was on my way home from work, so it must have been between 5 to 7 pm PDT), I only see Forums and Topics / Replies columns; the Thread column on the right is missing. In order to see the Thread / poster /date, I have to log in.

This first happened on my iPad, so I thought it was just one of many iPad quirks, but it's the same on my iMac (both Safari and Firefox). No access to a PC until work on Monday, so not sure it this is happening there too, or confined to Mac.

Was this a deliberate change, or did something just go haywire? Very strange. I wonder if anyone else has seen this?

Thanks

I was tweaking with some settings last night to identify what they meant, and I forgot to change this back when I was done.

You should be able to see the info now when you're not logged in.

Back to normal. Thanks very much (for this and all your efforts).

Are you using a Mac or a PC (Windows)?

PC...but right now, as writing this response, your post above comes as "Helene, on...said"...without any symbol at the end...Let's see if I came out of the blue box after posting...

Edited: Yep..out of the blue box! ;-)

If this is really bothering you, click the little light-switch button--the first one on the top left of the reply area. It'll go to a basic version with the code for quotes showing, and you can type after the quote tags. To get it back with your bold, italic, etc options, just hit the button again. You can always hit the button, start typing, then hit the button again once you know you're out of the "quote area"

I found this didn't work on both browsers I'm running on the Mac, just on Firefox,

My iPad is not running the latest iPad OS, which may be why I still don't see the box in BBCode mode, but the markup like before the upgrade, even when I'm not in plain text mode. Perhaps someone with the latest iPad OS could describe what they see.

I always default to Firefox and then have to remember to check on other browsers on the Mac and then on the PC and then on the iPad. (Hence the need to state that whatever Safari I'm running on the iPad doesn't work like whatever Safari I'm running on the Mac, which I didn't realized until after I'd posted about how Safari behaves.)

The difference in browsers and devices and the frequency of upgrades is why some of the features that used to be in our software, like clearing cookies, has been dropped: it's much more cost-effective to have people do this through their own browser and spend the time and money for features and optimization. Sometimes it's not worth trying to work around all of the behaviors in all of the browsers, like this weird quote box thing.

Are you using a Mac or a PC (Windows)?

PC...but right now, as writing this response, your post above comes as "Helene, on...said"...without any symbol at the end...Let's see if I came out of the blue box after posting...

Edited: Yep..out of the blue box! ;-)

If this is really bothering you, click the little light-switch button--the first one on the top left of the reply area. It'll go to a basic version with the code for quotes showing, and you can type after the quote tags. To get it back with your bold, italic, etc options, just hit the button again. You can always hit the button, start typing, then hit the button again once you know you're out of the "quote area"

Ok...let's see...just clicking the light switch and responding...