This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Le Corsaire, Romeo and Juliet or Sleeping Beauty

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

Corsaire with Murphy gets my vote. Pretty silly story though.
R&J definately go with Vishneva/Gomes.
Sylvia with Murphy/Gomes. Another silly story, but a fun ballet nonetheless.
Avoid Sleeping Beauty. Really ugly sets and costumes.
Go see NYCB

#17 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

Sight lines at the NYCB are much better than at the Met, so a similarly priced ticket at the NYCB compared to the Met is usually closer to the stage, with a much better sightline. Last time I checked $57 and $29 tickets were available for all performances on 6/7 and 6/8 and I only know this because I ordered last-minute tickets for $29 in the second ring yesterday.

On 6/7, you get to see Tiler Peck in one of her signature roles, Allegro Brillante, and you get to see Who Cares? Robert Fairchild and Sterling Hyltin are both fantastic in this ballet.

On 6/8 afternoon, Ashley Bouder in Theme and Variations!!! Again, that's become to dance lovers a sort of touchstone role for her, you can't go wrong there. Evening again it's Theme and Variations that's worth the price of the ticket alone, and Tiler Peck and de Luz are also excellent in this ballet. It's a mixed bill, you might like some of the ballets more than others, but I don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't like Theme and Variations or Who Cares?

This sounds like a paid advertisement for the NYCB, but it's not. But Le Corsaire is a VERY weak ballet. More of a pastiche than anything else -- 5 different composers, barebones plot.

R&J is definitely worth seeing but it's LONG and heavy on mime. I don't know if you like that. Of all the casts I'd pick Vishneva/Gomes or Osipova/Hallberg.

Sylvia is worth seeing. All the casts look okay to me except I'd avoid Paloma Herrera.

#18 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

I would see R&J because I don't think Vishneva will be dancing in another 5 years. But I could say the same for Gillian Murphy in Le Corsaire. Tough choice!

#19 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:18 AM

Also, don't forget that NYCB usually has reduced price tickets available at the Rubenstein Box Office (Atrium) on day of performance. I've always gotten pretty good selections there. ABT doesn't use this service. And I agree about sight lines. Just better at the State Theater.

#20 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:06 AM

I would see Vishneva and Gomes in Romeo. They are electrifying together.

#21 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:34 AM

I think I'm in the minority, but I love Le Corsaire depending on who is dancing it. I have a ticket for June 8th matinee, but I'm a bit concerned about who is dancing what. Osipova is Medora and Boylston is her best friend Gulnare - so that's fine. But according to the abt peformance calendar it looks like Vasiliev is dancing Conrad. Last year I saw him dance Ali and he was sensational. I wonder if Vasiliev can restrain himself enough for Conrad. I'm used to seeing dancers like Gomes, Hallberg and Ethan Stiefel dance Conrad. And then the last two names are Cornejo and Simkin. At first I thought I'd be seeing Cornejo as Ali and I said "Yeah!" (to myself of course because my husband does not care about ballet). Now I'm not sure if Simkin will be Ali and Cornejo the slave trader or vice versa. I wish they'd list the parts with the names when it comes to three act ballets. I think I'm going to this ballet in part to see who will be dancing what part and hoping it won't be a train wreck. If you're new to ballet I don't think I can recommend this performance. I forget who, but someone mentioned going to NYCB and I just looked at their casting list for the June 8th matinee. Tiler Peck and Joaquin De Luz will be dancing Theme and Variations in Tsch. Suite #3. I don't think ballet gets much better than that. Now I wish I could see that performance. Anyway, I hate being long winded about it, but I would look into the NYCB matinee - at least the last ballet. And it is true that the seats are much cheaper. Also much better. But that's another matter.

#22 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:38 AM

i'm sorry. I looked at the NYCB casting for the Saturday evening performance. As someone already has mentioned, the matinee will be danced by Bouder and Garcia, who are also sensational. It would be very hard to pick who is better in Theme and Variations Peck and De Luz or Bouder and Garcia. I think it's a draw.

#23 MRR

MRR

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

Colleen--Lankendem is listed after Conrad in the cast list, so Cornejo will dance Lankendem (and Simkin will be Ali) for the July 8th show.

#24 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

Thank you MRR. Should be interesting anyway.

#25 vagansmom

vagansmom

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

Anyone ever seen Trockadero's Corsaire? Now THAT is worth going to!

Also want to add that I agree that Corsaire is generally a boring ballet and that the story is silly, but I'd say that it's no sillier than an awful lot of the story ballets. However, for those of us who have raised ballet students who've gone on to dance professionally, Le Corsaire is a tear-jerker. We've sat as audience members through countless 1/2 performances (at least at my daughter's preprofessional ballet school; they never did the whole thing) of this ballet. We've watched our young'uns proceed throughout the years with their hopes pinned to the image of themselves performing the pas de deux. And when they do, we cry for all the years of blood, sweat, tears and hope that went into their progression on the road to becoming a professional dancer. So I never find it boring; it floods me with nostalgia.

#26 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

i'm sorry. I looked at the NYCB casting for the Saturday evening performance. As someone already has mentioned, the matinee will be danced by Bouder and Garcia, who are also sensational. It would be very hard to pick who is better in Theme and Variations Peck and De Luz or Bouder and Garcia. I think it's a draw.

Beg to differ - Garcia is weak in theme. He actually walks around for some music to avoid starting a difficult passage when he should.

#27 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

I'm with canbelto. Go see Bouder or Peck at NYCB. And the theater offers more comfortable viewing.

But if you really insist on ABT, I would send you to see Marcelo Gomes in anything. IMO, Romeo & Juliet is more theater than dancing, which is certainly valid, but it's not what I go to ballet for. (Tchaikovsky Suite #3 -- one-third of NYCB's program -- probably has more dancing than R&J.) However, if I were to choose one R&J, Vishneva and Gomes is without a doubt the cast that I'd go for.

I don't take Corsaire too seriously, but it does offer a lot of dancing (but not as much as you'll get in NYCB's program).

As for Sleeping Beauty, it is a much better ballet than ABT's production would lead you to believe. I'd suggest that you wait, if you're able, until it rolls around into NYCB's repertoire again and see their beautiful (albeit imperfect) version as an an introduction.

You'll let us know what you decide, won't you? Posted Image

#28 ord7916

ord7916

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:09 AM

Thanks for the replies. I may do the NYCB on Friday 6/7, though not for $155. Perhaps the $89 at the rear orchestra, but will that be too far away?

For the moment, I think I'll skip Le Corsaire, Sleeping Beauty and R&J and ABT, but as the dates get closer, who knows?

#29 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

If you want NYCB tickets, you should consider visiting the Atrium accross the street to grab some discounted tickets on the day of performance. There are usually on overabundance of high priced tickets that remain unsold at NYCB, and NYCB usually dumps them at the Atrium for discount sale on the day of the show. Perhaps others who have used the Atrium discount window can provide additional info.

ABT does NOT use the Atrium discount windows to dump unsold tickets.

#30 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

Thanks for the replies. I may do the NYCB on Friday 6/7, though not for $155. Perhaps the $89 at the rear orchestra, but will that be too far away?

Rear orchestra is pretty good in that theatre, actually, especially if you can get a seat in the middle of the row. They're not dramatic ballets so seeing the expression on their faces is not as important as for, say, R&J (which I still think you should go and see!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):