This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Le Corsaire, Romeo and Juliet or Sleeping Beauty

i'm sorry. I looked at the NYCB casting for the Saturday evening performance. As someone already has mentioned, the matinee will be danced by Bouder and Garcia, who are also sensational. It would be very hard to pick who is better in Theme and Variations Peck and De Luz or Bouder and Garcia. I think it's a draw.

Beg to differ - Garcia is weak in theme. He actually walks around for some music to avoid starting a difficult passage when he should.

I'm with canbelto. Go see Bouder or Peck at NYCB. And the theater offers more comfortable viewing.

But if you really insist on ABT, I would send you to see Marcelo Gomes in anything. IMO, Romeo & Juliet is more theater than dancing, which is certainly valid, but it's not what I go to ballet for. (Tchaikovsky Suite #3 -- one-third of NYCB's program -- probably has more dancing than R&J.) However, if I were to choose one R&J, Vishneva and Gomes is without a doubt the cast that I'd go for.

I don't take Corsaire too seriously, but it does offer a lot of dancing (but not as much as you'll get in NYCB's program).

As for Sleeping Beauty, it is a much better ballet than ABT's production would lead you to believe. I'd suggest that you wait, if you're able, until it rolls around into NYCB's repertoire again and see their beautiful (albeit imperfect) version as an an introduction.

You'll let us know what you decide, won't you? smile.png

Thanks for the replies. I may do the NYCB on Friday 6/7, though not for $155. Perhaps the $89 at the rear orchestra, but will that be too far away?

For the moment, I think I'll skip Le Corsaire, Sleeping Beauty and R&J and ABT, but as the dates get closer, who knows?

If you want NYCB tickets, you should consider visiting the Atrium accross the street to grab some discounted tickets on the day of performance. There are usually on overabundance of high priced tickets that remain unsold at NYCB, and NYCB usually dumps them at the Atrium for discount sale on the day of the show. Perhaps others who have used the Atrium discount window can provide additional info.

ABT does NOT use the Atrium discount windows to dump unsold tickets.

Thanks for the replies. I may do the NYCB on Friday 6/7, though not for $155. Perhaps the $89 at the rear orchestra, but will that be too far away?

Rear orchestra is pretty good in that theatre, actually, especially if you can get a seat in the middle of the row. They're not dramatic ballets so seeing the expression on their faces is not as important as for, say, R&J (which I still think you should go and see!)

As write this, there are excellent seats in the rear orchestra @ $57 (+ $2. "facility fee") in Row O, seats 29-33. Because of my strong preference for seats elevated above stage level, if I were looking for a GREAT seat but not willing to pay anything like $155, I'd check out the Second Ring*, Row D, seats 212-27 or Row E, seats 13-23. The Row E seats are more central, but the difference is not significant. All the ones I've mentioned here -- both in Orchestra and Second Ring -- offer a full view of the stage.

Better hurry!

_______

*I'd even opt for the Third Ring, but I understand your reluctance, at this point, to go that far up.

Edited by carbro
The footnote.

For the moment, I think I'll skip Le Corsaire, Sleeping Beauty and R&J and ABT, but as the dates get closer, who knows?

Assuming that you live in the nyc/tri state area - I would see the Le Corsaire Matinee on June 8 (In my opinion - this is a marvelous cast). Then when September rolls around, you can see NYCB during their 4 Week Season. Yes, Corsaire is silly, but it is a lot of fun. And it is jam packed with great dancing. You will get another shot at NYCB in just a few months, but ABT will not be doing the full length ballets again until next May.

ord7916, there are orchestra seats that are closer and cheaper at the David Koch Theatre. I've gotten seats in row H for $26. I have a subscription so the tickets are slightly cheaper. You can probably get a seat in row H for like $29 or $30 a ticket. And you don't have to worry about being too far to the side. You can be all the way on the end and still have a great view. (Don't ever try this at the Met, however. If you're too far to the side your view is badlty obstructed.) There are also good seats in rows J and K for $51. Again, I have a subscription so I pay less. But you could probably get a seat in row J or K for $60 opr a little less. Look online. nycballet.com.

ord7916, there are orchestra seats that are closer and cheaper at the David Koch Theatre. I've gotten seats in row H for $26. I have a subscription so the tickets are slightly cheaper. You can probably get a seat in row H for like $29 or $30 a ticket. And you don't have to worry about being too far to the side. You can be all the way on the end and still have a great view. (Don't ever try this at the Met, however. If you're too far to the side your view is badlty obstructed.) There are also good seats in rows J and K for $51. Again, I have a subscription so I pay less. But you could probably get a seat in row J or K for $60 opr a little less. Look online. nycballet.com.

seats in row H for $29? Every time I look they are $135. Row J and K right on the wall are $57 (if there are any left) but anything closer in is, again, $135. Plus $9 per ticket service charges.

All I can tell you is I got 4 $26 dollar tickets (which I think are $29, maybe a litle more if you don't have a subscription) at the box office. I think it was last August. I got them quite soon after I got my tickets for the 2012-2013 seasons. Maybe they don't have too many tickets at that price and they sold out quickly. I'm not sure.

I bought a NYCB ticket last Thursday for this Friday, June 8th, Row B orchestra - last seat on the end, for $29.

Last year I bought several $29 tickets at the end of Row A or B. Great seats and my favourite kind - close to the stage!