This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Le Corsaire, Romeo and Juliet or Sleeping Beauty

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 ord7916

ord7916

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

I am new to ballet. I saw the opening night gala two weeks ago, and then Don Quixote with Reyes / Cornejo. Based on recommendations on here, I'll be seeing Swan Lake with Part and Stearns on 6/18.

If I were to go to one other this year, which of the three above would it be? And any particular stars worth seeing?

#2 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

I'd cast my vote for Vishneva/Gomes in R&J. In fact, I'd cast two votes for that. The dancing will be heartbreakingly beautiful and the music is gorgeous. It would be worth seeing for the music of The Dance of the Capulets alone.

#3 ord7916

ord7916

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

To partly answer my own question, it looks like the only one I can fit in my schedule is Le Corsaire on 6/7/ or 6/8. Is it worth seeing? And would you choose Osipova and Vasiliev or Herrera and Gomes? Everyone raves about Osipova and Vasiliev but everyone on here seems to love Marcelo Gomes.

#4 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

I know this sounds weird but for 6/7 or 6/8 I would go across the plaza to see the NYCB. Tiler Peck or Ashley Bouder in Theme and Variations is something worth seeing for sure. Or Who Cares? Is another favorite ballet of mine. Tickets are cheaper at the NYCB. I find Corsaire to be a rather weak ballet, no matter who is dancing.

#5 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

I'd take canbelto's wise advice.

#6 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Me too.

#7 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

Me too.

#8 vagansmom

vagansmom

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

I'm going to see [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Osipova and Vasiliev on the 8th. based on the DC reviews I read here on B.A. I keep hearing everywhere, not just on these boards, that [/size][/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Osipova and Vasiliev is a partnership made in heaven. Add to that my overall dislike of Herrera - she leaves me cold artistically - and factor in Simkin for the O&V performance and it's a no-brainer for me. [/size][/font]

#9 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

Me too.

Me too - go with Canbelto

#10 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

I know this sounds weird but for 6/7 or 6/8 I would go across the plaza to see the NYCB. Tiler Peck or Ashley Bouder in Theme and Variations is something worth seeing for sure. Or Who Cares? Is another favorite ballet of mine. Tickets are cheaper at the NYCB. I find Corsaire to be a rather weak ballet, no matter who is dancing.

If Veronika Part were dancing, I would say go to Corsaire, but not with the other casts. Osipova and Vasiliev bring audiences to a frenzy of applause, but they are more like an acrobatic act than a classical ballet partnership. When you hear all the screaming and applause for their feats, remember (1) that the circus draws many more viewers than the ballet (no, I don't have any statistics to back that up) and (2) that the reason Vasiliev can jump so high is that he has unballetic extremely muscular legs. Baryshnikov was another fabulous jumper with muscular legs, but he never abandoned the pure classical training that he received. Vasiliev is sloppy and he coasts on his jumps and turns.

#11 ord7916

ord7916

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

Lots of votes for the NYCB. But where are the cheaper tickets? It looks more expensive than ABT, at least for the good seats.

I could possibly do Romeo and Juliet on 6/10, but listening to the music just now, I'm not so sure.

What about Sylvia with Murphy and Gomes?

#12 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

I'd go for Romeo and Juliet. Wait till you see the dancing while you're listening to the music to judge the music. You will soon think that R&J music is the most fabulous thing ever.

#13 onxmyxtoes

onxmyxtoes

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

i think the june 10 R&J with Vishneva Gomes is THE ONE show not to miss this season.

#14 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

So much depends on what you are looking for. Sleeping Beauty offers a lot of dancing from a lot of people. R & J - it's totally the couple and nothing else matters. Corsaire offers a story that doesn't make sense, but the principals get to show their stuff, and the corps does a lot of filler and boring stuff.

Personally I avoid R & J but made an exception last year for Cojocaru. I'll never pay to see Corsaire.

For me I'd go for Cojocaru in Sleeping Beauty, she is magic in that role.

But really go see NYCB.

#15 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Cojocaru has been on the injured list for quite some time. Most recently, she was supposed to perform in Symphony in C at the Royal on May 28 and 29, but she withdrew due to continued injury. Although her scheduled performances w. ABT are a few weeks away, I would not count on her performing this season at ABT under the circumstances.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):