This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Monday, May 27

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,965 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

Two reviews of the Royal Ballet in "Raven Girl."

The Guardian

McGregor choreographs with an unusually wide palette, channelling Frederick Ashton for the eccentricities and robustness of his human characters, and Merce Cunningham for the scattered asymmetries of the raven chorus. Best of all is his tenderly imagined movement for the two women, the Raven's bird-boned brittleness modulating into maternal expressiveness, the Girl's frustrated anger dissolving into swooping flight as she meets her Raven Prince and falls in love.

The Independent

The imagery follows the book closely, in layers of film, design and choreography. The dancing stops and starts. In his first narrative ballet, McGregor acts out the deliberately simple outlines of the narrative, without doing much to develop it.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,965 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

A BBC News story on the re-opening of the Cuban National Ballet School after renovations. Video.

After closing its doors in 2011 because the buildings had become too dangerous to dance in, the Cuban National Ballet School has reopened after more than $2m dollars of restoration work.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,965 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

More articles celebrating "The Rite of Spring," which turns 100 years old this week.

Reuters

"I have to admit that when we come to the moment just before the last dance, and the bass clarinet goes down, my blood pressure is up, I have this sort of adrenaline surge," Finnish conductor Esa-Pekka Salonen told Reuters recently in London.

"It's an old caveman reaction - now you have to be prepared to leap even higher than ever before because the sabre-toothed tiger is just behind you - and I love it," he said of facing the piece's finale, with its tricky, irregular and shifting rhythms.

The Guardian

As the first few bars of the orchestral work The Rite of Spring – Le Sacre du Printemps – by the young, little-known Russian composer Igor Stravinsky sounded, there was a disturbance in the audience. It was, according to some of those present – who included Marcel Proust, Pablo Picasso, Gertrude Stein, Maurice Ravel and Claude Debussy – the sound of derisive laughter.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,965 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

An interview with Stephen Malinowski, with excerpts from his visualization of Rite.

You've mentioned to me that you didn't really know The Rite of Spring particularly well before you took on this visualization project in time for the piece's 100th anniversary. So what did you learn about the architecture of the piece during the process of translating it into visuals?

I was not aware of the kind of harmonic things Stravinsky has going on. There's a lot of bitonality — he'll have multiple tonal areas going one after the other, and then they'll coexist for a while. And I have rendered each of those in different color schemes, so you can see them as they exist independently and then come together, in and out. There are also a lot of places in the score with very subtle shifts in instrumentation and texture, and the software can represent those differences in timbre. It's incredible — Stravinsky continually torques you, startles you, and frustrates your anticipations.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,965 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

A review of the Royal in "Raven Girl" by Roslyn Sulcas in The New York Times.

For the audience, however, “Raven Girl” is mostly dull. It begins promisingly with a sustained high-pitched sound underscoring the strangeness of the flickering gothic letters that spell out the opening line. The curtain lifts on a fairy-tale cutout cottage in sepulchral gloom, throwing a jagged shadow behind, and the postman we have been promised (Edward Watson) arrives.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,965 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:09 AM

The Bolshoi Ballet visits Australia.

“I think in the Bolshoi, the male dancers are truly men. When they jump, they jump like men, not just like 'ballet boys'. You give your maximum to the jump every time.”

Lantratov and three other Bolshoi principals joined the Queensland Ballet core company to train with its artistic director, Li Cunxin, on Monday morning before opening night at the Queensland Performing Arts Centre on Thursday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):