This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Don Quixote -- Spring 2013 MET Season

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 Ilya

Ilya

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

I'm curious---did Cornejo dance Friday night May 24, or is he still injured?

#2 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

#3 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

How was it? Would anybody care to report?

#4 Balanchinomane

Balanchinomane

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

Yes, it was a lovely performance. Hammoudi and Seo were Espada and Mercedes,
Sarah Lane was Amour. All were outstanding. Cornejo and Reyes are consistently
clean and precise and they looked radiantly happy. The Orchestra and rings were full -
I couldn't see if upstairs was full. They had a nice long curtain call with confetti
cannons. It was memorable.

#5 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

Osipova and Vasiliev were breathtaking in Don Q. She is light as a feather, making her jumps very high and buoyant. The crowd went wild when she did her super speedy spins. Like Osipova, Vasiliev is able to get amazing height in his jumps. Vasiliev did his cork screw spins and other jumps and spins which I have never seen before and could not even describe. His athleticism is amazing. In the past, sometimes his landings from these complex jumps were spotty. Last night, though, they were all perfectly landed. The opera house was mobbed. I think it was a sell out. An incredible night of dancing from those two. Thank you to ABT for finally giving New Yorkers the opportunity of seeing these two together in Don Q.

Misty Copeland was Queen of the Dryads. She had difficulty with the Italian fouettes. She starting weaving uncontrollably around the stage and the last fouette was a complete miss. Yuriko was a delight as Amour. Messmer was very good as Mercedes. Hammoudi did a fine job as Espada, but I didn't think he fully captured the choreography. His back was too erect. Part of the Toreador's choreography requires him to arch his back.

#6 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

Sounds fabulous. Between what I saw of Seo (and reports from still another performance) and what you say about Copeland, maybe the company needs to hire an Italian fouette coach . . .

#7 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

Forgot to add that Osipova held an unsupported balance in the wedding scene for an extraordinary length of time.

#8 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:47 AM

Sounds fabulous. Between what I saw of Seo (and reports from still another performance) and what you say about Copeland, maybe the company needs to hire an Italian fouette coach . . .

What they really need to do is promote Stella Abrera to principal status. Also give her Queen of the Dryads. I saw her doing them in a company class and she nailed them all.

#9 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

What they really need to do is promote Stella Abrera to principal status. Also give her Queen of the Dryads. I saw her doing them in a company class and she nailed them all.

I second that motion!

#10 nysusan

nysusan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

Stella Abrera certainly should be promoted to principal, and her Italian fouettes are gorgeous but that's not the point.

Its very scary to think that 2 of ABT's Dryad current queens can't do them (I didn't see Seo so I'm taking Drew's word on her performance).

I was soooo disappointed in Misty Copeland's performance. I've been rooting for her for a long time and it she really blew it last night in a very visible, high profile performance. She started out lovely with beautiful classical arms and upper body but those fouettes did her in. She was really swinging her leg way too forcefully and then fell out of the last one.

Aside from that it was a great performance, O&V were in fine form, astounding the audience all night long.

#11 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

Stella Abrera certainly should be promoted to principal, and her Italian fouettes are gorgeous but that's not the point.

Its very scary to think that 2 of ABT's Dryad current queens can't do them (I didn't see Seo so I'm taking Drew's word on her performance).

I was soooo disappointed in Misty Copeland's performance. I've been rooting for her for a long time and it she really blew it last night in a very visible, high profile performance. She started out lovely with beautiful classical arms and upper body but those fouettes did her in. She was really swinging her leg way too forcefully and then fell out of the last one.

Aside from that it was a great performance, O&V were in fine form, astounding the audience all night long.

Just a quick note to say I saw Seo's Italian fouettes in a performance of Gamzatti in Bayadere last season (she ended with her back to the audience)--there was also a twitter report of her problems with them when she performed Queen of the Dryads on tour in Spain. Both of these performances were last season and this season she may be better. Not trying to be particularly harsh about her--I gather from reports she has given lovely performances in a number of roles--but the Italian fouettes should be a highlight and were kind of embarassing. I agree that ABT should have dancers in roles like Gamzatti/Queen of the Dryads who don't have those kinds of difficulties. That is, I think ABT should be and, in fact, could be--even sometimes IS--a standard setting company.

And may I add how much I wish I could have seen Osipova and Vasiliev!

#12 pbl

pbl

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

I was at the Saturday Osipova-Vasiliev performance and was absolutely blown away. But I am a newcomer to appreciating ballet, and am eager to hear thoughts from others more steeped in the art who were there. Osipova has that firecracker stage presence, they had an obvious joy in being on the stage, and being there together. I noticed when she made the diagonal in front of the bullfighters the tempo was much quicker than other stagings I've seen and she just smoked it. When she was doing the fouettes in the third act it seemed as though she was doing double turns. More than anything, I noticed how she seems to have, all in one, lightness, crispness, alacrity. He seemed much stronger than the prior performance of his that I'd seen, and was adding a little something to most of his leaps and turns. I loved Isabella Boylston too, BTW. But anyway, these are my highly appreciative rantings, I'm eager to hear from others . . .

#13 ddsbiggestfan

ddsbiggestfan

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

Stella Abrera danced Queen of the Dryads in the Saturday 5/25 matinee I attended, and looked amazing! This was my first time seeing Don Quixote, so I have nothing to compare it to (and I'm no expert), but I could see no flaws in her performance.

#14 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

Stella Abrera danced Queen of the Dryads in the Saturday 5/25 matinee I attended, and looked amazing! This was my first time seeing Don Quixote, so I have nothing to compare it to (and I'm no expert), but I could see no flaws in her performance.

I'm sooo glad to hear that. Right now she is one of the very best dancers in the company, with an unaffected classical purity, a totally reliable technique, and a riveting stage presence. She is a terrific actress as well. All of which is to say, at the risk of repeating myself, that she deserves principal status and an opportunity to dance the roles she was meant to dance. I'm hoping for a Giselle in 2014. She's a terrific Myrtha, but she deserves to dance the title role.

#15 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

Maybe we should give Misty some benefit of the doubt, because it was her first show after a long period of injury. However, it is disappointing that ABT is casting Dryad Queen with dancers who apparently are incapable of executing the choreography properly. I doubt that it's a failure of coaching.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):