This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

As someone who complains endlessly about the limited availability of Balanchine videos for the general public, I am delighted to see that the Balanchine Foundation is now selling the "Balanchine Essays" on Amazon, or at least, the Arabesque tape.

http://www.amazon.com/Balanchine-Essays-Arabesque/dp/B00CWKW66C/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1369348425&sr=8-21&keywords=balanchine+dvd

I hope this is the start of a trend of selling to the public from their wonderful collection. The blurb under "editorial reviews" says they plan to release the entire 10-part series. And it looks like they have solved the physical media/storage problem: they will make these "on demand."

PS: If you order it, be sure to start with the Amazon box on this site so Ballet Alert gets some $$ to support the site.

As someone who complains endlessly about the limited availability of Balanchine videos for the general public, I am delighted to see that the Balanchine Foundation is now selling the "Balanchine Essays" on Amazon, or at least, the Arabesque tape.

http://www.amazon.co...=balanchine dvd

I hope this is the start of a trend of selling to the public from their wonderful collection. The blurb under "editorial reviews" says they plan to release the entire 10-part series. And it looks like they have solved the physical media/storage problem: they will make these "on demand."

PS: If you order it, be sure to start with the Amazon box on this site so Ballet Alert gets some $$ to support the site.

Hi California,

What is 'Arabesque'? What time period, who dances? Any info you can provide is welcome and I thank you. ~ Karen

http://www.amazon.co...=balanchine dvd

Hi California,

What is 'Arabesque'? What time period, who dances? Any info you can provide is welcome and I thank you. ~ Karen

Actually, question should be - what are the Balanchine Essays? Thanks

"They plan to release the entire ten-part series"! Wow! And to anyone, evidently! (Note that the Foundation page California links to mentions its usual restriction for who may obtain its videos.) I'm not even sure I knew there were ten; I've owned the few released on VHS by Nonesuch years ago since they came out. (I'm not too proud to admit I haven't studied them much - it was a question of "get it while you can," like the Davidsbündlertänze recording in that series, which we haven't seen much of since, but for me, things like this have the effect of training the eye to see dancing better.) Whether intentional or not, I take this as part of a kind of celebration of the life of the excellent director, Merrill Brockway, whose passing we have just been discussing, and part of whose life-work these videos are.