• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

Maybe we should start a thread on "usher behaviour".

My nominee: any usher who seats people after the curtain goes up on a performance. They seem to think they are being nice to latecomers by breaking the rule about no late seating, and forget that they are disrupting the sightlines of many, many people. This is a HUGE problem at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House (where the Colorado Ballet performs), but it's happened to me in New York, too. I went to a Broadway show with a 7:00 curtain. At 8:00 sharp, the ushers let in a couple who had seats in center orchestra, front row, even though it was another 15 minutes to the intermission. Presumably, the couple mistakenly thought the performance started at 8, but that's no excuse for the usher. I don't recall this at NYCB or ABT performances in NYC, though.

#47 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:08 AM

It is true certainly in France and the UK the auduience are much better mannered, and rerspect other peop[le's enjioyment oif the performance. However once in the Garnier Paris, a woman sitting behind my friend tapped him on the shoulder and told him to  move down in his seat, he was no taller than others nearby , and did not speakFrench, so ignored her. Her attitude at the time was distincly  rather bossy. had she been more amicable he might have obliged  but the performance had already started and they were last minute arrivals.

#48 AlbanyGirl

AlbanyGirl

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:44 AM

I haven't read through this thread entirely, so perhaps someone has made this point already, but isn't the problem with bringing babies solved when every person must hold a ticket, regardless of age?  I know this is NYCB's policy.    

#49 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

Some companies do have babes in arms policies for "Nutcracker" and family matinees or shortened versions appropriate for the attention span of younger children. (I've noticed that right befor the big Act II pas de deux in "Nutcracker" is a common time for kids to have had it and for families to bail.) For regular performances and companies where everyone must have a ticket, I'm sure the policy cuts down on the number of babies, because of the risk of wasting a lot of money for two tickets if the baby starts crying. However, given the number of crying babies in any program, although some where clearly the baby is there so that the parent can take a younger child to see "Cinderella," for example, it certainly doesn't stop people. Babies in general are more predictable that toddlers: parents can strategize around their sleep cycles, and I've been around scores of babies who slept through the act, were fed at intermission, and who settled in for the next act.

One of the most annoying experiences I've had was the one time I was at the Palais Garnier. (Everything else I've seen in Paris has been at the Bastille.). I had a front row seat in one of the ground level boxes. The seats in the boxes are moveable chairs, but each is numbered, and they are arranged in rows.

I take it it is impossible to see anything from the back row, because the young man in the back row kept encouraging his girlfriend -- literally pushing her chair forward -- to try to squeeze her way into the front row, and while there wasn't really enough room for one more, I would have been a lot more sympathetic and would have tried to aid her sightlines had they not treated this as the Tokyo subway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):