Summer 2014 DC tour: Giselle (Grigorovich)

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:25 AM

No Obraztsova?

Just my thought. mad.gif

#17 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

No Obraztsova?

Just my thought. mad.gif

Hmmm... lets think about this.  One of the greatest Giselles of our generation is not performing in DC while 4 hours away in NY Vishneva, Part & Cojocaru are all appearing in Bayadere that weekend. Where do you think I will be? And a Jewels on Sunday is the cherry on top of my ice cream sundae! So glad the Bolshoi didn't force me to make tough choices.

#18 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

According to the Kennedy Center's own website, opening night is to be danced by someone called Svetlana Makharova [sic]!

I believe that Makharova is her Celtic name.  flowers.gif  

#19 Rick

Rick

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:29 PM

Would anyone care to suggest the best cast(s) for Giselle? I'm unfamiliar with all of the dancers. Thanks.

#20 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:45 PM

Go see David Hallberg, he's one the great Albrechts. 

#21 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:56 AM

This being the Bolshoi, we can't be sure these dancers will actually appear as advertised. If changes owing to injuries are sometimes unavoidable, other changes can be more difficult to explain. For what it's worth, Ekaterina Krysanova has withdrawn from her next two performances at the Bolshoi, but this isn't necessarily a predictor of her physical condition 5-6 weeks from now.

I don't know what sort of things you look for in dancers, but based on a performance of Swan Lake I saw them give last summer, my vote goes to Krysanova and Ruslan Skvortsov, who are suited to each other in their seriousness, sincerity, lack of showboating and excess, and also speed.

#22 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

Ekaterina Krysanova has withdrawn from her next scheduled performance this weekend, as she has from all of her performances over the past month. She is still scheduled for a performance the weekend after next, just before the Washington engagement, but it would appear that her condition is touch-and-go.

#23 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:33 PM

What condition does she have that has caused these cancellations?

#24 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

Whatever it is, it is not so serious that it has prevented the Bolshoi from scheduling performances for her. They keep being scheduled, but a few days in advance of them she is replaced by someone else.

#25 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:30 AM

I lost track of this series, probably because I won’t be able to be there, but would surely like to be. The past will not guarantee the future, but continuity is worth considering. I just wrote this at the NYC performances topic, but in case you missed it, I truly believe that it’s worth repeating here. Last year at the Mariinsky Festival Svetlana Zakharova’s Giselle (with the Bolshoi’s Vladislav Lantrov) was possibly the best performance of *Anything* that I’ve ever seen ! The reason is that she had ever aspect totally mastered. In this performance her take was also different from any other that I’ve seen, in that her Giselle was not really naive. She seemed more of a Goddess, a Goddess of Love, and, for me, it worked magnificently as did her entire performance.

Hopefully Ekaterina Krysanova will appear because this is something that she could excel in. Although she has exceptional ‘virtuosa’ qualities, her dreamlike portrayals of lovely innocence are perhaps her most beautiful moments.

I’ve only seen Anna Nikulina once (Swan Lake), but I was impressed enough by some of her very fine qualities, that her’s is one of the very few performances (Swan Lake) of the NYC series that I’ve bought a ticket to. (It’s not that I don’t want to see more, but my stay is limited.) These same qualities of enchanting loveliness would make her an exceptional Giselle.

David? Well David is David! One of the very best!

#26 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:52 AM

There have been changes in casting for Myrtha. According to the Kennedy Center site the performances will now be split between Maria Allash and Angelina Karpova (formerly Vlashinets). The Bolshoi site still lists Ekaterina Shipulina and Allash, but I'm going to assume that information is out of date.

#27 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:04 AM

Any reviews?

#28 kika

kika

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

Am also looking forward to reading reviews!

#29 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:54 AM

Two reviews are in:  

Sarah Kaufman:  http://www.washingto...081a_story.html

Alastair Macaulay:  http://www.nytimes.c...ngton.html?_r=1

#30 Liotarded

Liotarded

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

True to my name I completely slept on getting a seat before the sell-out so MASSIVE thanks to fellow member volcanohunter for feeling under the weather, I snagged her ticket and went in her place! innocent.gif

My vantage point for the May 22 show was 2nd tier, row A, seat 211 which is dead solid center with a cushion in front the ushers caution against putting anything on.

Cast: Gis - Sveta, Albrecht - David, Myrtha - Maria Allash, Hans - Vitaly Biktimirov.

Giselle gets to me like no other ballet. Pre-performance at one of the Grand Foyer bars I went on and on to anyone who'd listen how proud I was to see David Hallberg yet at the same time with vitriol said I despise Albrecht for how he treats our peasant girl.

In all the Giselles I've seen, this is the first time I 99% felt Albrecht isn't an @ssshole. That title went to Hans tonight. Something clicked that were it not for his buttinsky-ness everything would have turned out alright or at least free of drama. You could TASTE Vitaly's portrayal of the gamekeeper as the lightbulb of screwing things up lit up over his head. This was the first of many outbursts I had.

I say 99% because when Gis pleads with Albrecht and Albrecht ballslessly turns away from her, my disgust with him came back. But he makes up for it in Act II by being convincingly sorry and not just because he'll be danced to death.

Svetlana Zakharova. She's perfect. How old is ballet, like four centuries? In each of her movements I get the elation it's the culmination of all those years. She is astounding and my evening was made watching her dance, even if all else would have gone pear-shaped.

But it didn't! David Hallberg, in addition to making me not hate Albrecht, is superb. I wanted to shout "You earn those American pancakes!" (those of you who follow his Twitter will know what I'm talking about).

Admittedly I'm usually lushed by Act II. I'm emotionally spent after Gis' death so I typically hit the intermission bar with a vengeance but I've got a heavy day of work tomorrow so I took it easy so much so I paid way more attention to the second half. Good lord it's wonderful! The audience gave a huge applause to the corps and from my non-orchestra perch my appreciation ballooned. I'm usually way too close to get the whole picture, literally and figuratively.

Packed house, pretty enthusiastic. The lady sitting next to me told me "You seem knowledgable" to which I responded "No, I'm just addicted." tiphat.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):