This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ABT's Spring Season at Kennedy Center-DCDQ and mixed bill incl. The Dream!

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

Thank you Kaysta.  I for one love input from anyone with little technical knowledge.  I can't not look at things as a former dancer and love to hear opinions from newer audience members.  Please keep posting.

#32 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

I attended the matinee performance today of Don Q and must admit to feeling underwhelmed. The ballet was frothy, colorful, and fun, but Simkin's partnering of Boylston was not especially graceful. He's best with the solo dances, and, to my eyes, Bolyston lacked power and attack. Her back seems somewhat inflexible and her upper body lacked polish. I wanted to see the Thursday night cast (Murphy & Gomes) but simply couldn't make the date. Perhaps that accounts for some of my disappointment today. Sarah Lane and Gemma Bond gave strong performances, and Misty Copeland seems very popular indeed.

I won't disagree (even though I thought that this was overall the best ballet performance that I've seen this season). On several occasions, Boylston was slightly slower than everyone else, which I found distracting. Couldn't ask for anything better than $35 orchestra seats (it is surprisingly cheaper to attend the ABT performances than the Washington Ballet performances)..

#33 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:25 AM

Here's a bio (from ABT web) on the amazing Mr. Zhang, who joined ABT less than a year ago and bowled us over as the Gypsy soloist in yesterday afternoon's DON Q at the KennCen. Pretty impressive resume in ballet competitions!

http://www.abt.org/d...p?Dancer_ID=282

By the way, did I mention that yesterday's matinee audience accorded a very loud and long standing-o to ABT and to Boylston/Simkin? That's what happened in Orchestra section. I also should mention the technical wonders of the leads...Boylston's spot-on 32 fouettes in the PDD coda (alternating singles and doubles) or Simkin's 'endless pirouettes' and 'double rivoltades'! I hope that both of them get to dance with (to me) more appropriately-sized partners later on in the season.

I think that Boylston will dance with Whiteside and/or Muntagirov at the Met (Giselle?) and Simkin will dance with Reyes or Lane (Coppelia?). I may be scheduling trips to the Met this summer.

#34 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:05 PM

I finished off (and perhaps finished my ballet viewing at the Kennedy Center :( ) with the Sunday matinee. Some spectacular stuff from Herrara and Vasiliev, though in the first act they seemed a little uncomfortable with the lifts

#35 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:08 PM

By the way, did I mention that yesterday's matinee audience accorded a very loud and long standing-o to ABT and to Boylston/Simkin? That's what happened in Orchestra section. I also should mention the technical wonders of the leads...Boylston's spot-on 32 fouettes in the PDD coda (alternating singles and doubles) or Simkin's 'endless pirouettes' and 'double rivoltades'! I hope that both of them get to dance with (to me) more appropriately-sized partners later on in the season.

Simkin was also stellar as Puck in Wednesday's The Dream.

#36 DocM

DocM

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:38 AM

I saw the Saturday afternoon performance of Don Q with Isabella Boylston ad Kitri and Daniil Simkin as Basilio.  They both danced with high energy and lots of youthful exuberance, which servers this ballet very well.  It was easy to see why Mr. Simkin has a large international following as there seems to be no technical feat that he can't handle with great control and polish.  Ms. Boylston has gorgeous legs and feet and a slender build, in addition to great musicality which she used to play around with the music a couple of times in the ballet.  Not surprising that Ms. Boylston was invited to perform with the Mariinsky ballet earlier this month.  Both she and Mr. Simkin are budding world-class young artists who will just keep growing.  Even the partnering was done well and I did not notice any mistakes.  Misty Copeland danced Mercedes and Queen of Dryads, and Jared Mathews was Espada.  Mr. Mathews has improved greatly in the past two years, and his Espada was danced very well.  Sarah Lane and Luciana Paris were flower girls.  I disagree with the comment that was made earlier that either of the flower girls would be a better match partner for Mr. Simkin.  Although Ms. Lane is petite and slender she is not as slender as Ms. Boylston, and my impression was that both flower girls seemed more mature than the very youthful Mr. Simkin.  Gemma Bond was Amour and Craig Salstein was Gamache.  Mr. Salstein added a lot of comic flair to his character.  All the dancing was great, with it needs to be in this ballet, since in my opinion the level and quality of the dancing is what determines if you see a great Don Q.  Ms. Simkin and Ms. Boylston were clearly the stars of the afternoon, well deserving of the standing ovation that they received, and I hope Ms. Boylston is promoted to principal soon.

#37 Kaysta

Kaysta

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

So I saw a picture of Boylston and Simkin standing next to each other on Gillian Murphy's twitter, and they are about the same height, however when Ms. Boylston is on point, she is taller than Simkin.  I guess I was so enthralled with their dancing that I didn't notice the size difference!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):