This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Who Was Your First?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Kerry1968

Kerry1968

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:54 AM

I caught the bug in college, via the library's collection of dusty old films. I definitely recall watching Plisetskya in The Little Humpbacked Horse in a little viewing cubicle at the library, with a bulky set of headphones squeezing my head like a vice. The first live performance I saw was San Francisco Ballet in Swan Lake, in either 1987 or 1988.

#32 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

The gods were with me that day because the program started with Balanchine's Serenade! Can you imagine the effect of that opening tableau on a young, impressionable 19 year old?? It was quite simply the most beautiful thing I had ever seen (the opening curtain on Serenade still brings tears to my eyes to this day).

That would indeed grab your heart for life. I can't remember the first ballet I ever saw, but the first one I really knew thoroughly was Four T's -- to this day it makes me weep.

#33 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

I caught the bug in college, via the library's collection of dusty old films. I definitely recall watching Plisetskya in The Little Humpbacked Horse in a little viewing cubicle at the library, with a bulky set of headphones squeezing my head like a vice. The first live performance I saw was San Francisco Ballet in Swan Lake, in either 1987 or 1988.

This is excellent -- I saw live work first, but when I got serious about dance I spent hours and hours in my college library, watching their Dance in America tapes and their eclectic collection of dance ed films (Graham's A Dancer's World was especially stunning) And yes, those puffy headphones -- my son has a set he likes, and they always make me giggle.

#34 ChantilleElla

ChantilleElla

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

I first saw Swan Lake performed by the Royal New Zealand Ballet, but this several years after I had started ballet. A family friend was playing the swan queen and we just had to go and see her! The most amazing thing I've ever seen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):