Who Was Your First?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Kerry1968

Kerry1968

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:54 AM

I caught the bug in college, via the library's collection of dusty old films. I definitely recall watching Plisetskya in The Little Humpbacked Horse in a little viewing cubicle at the library, with a bulky set of headphones squeezing my head like a vice. The first live performance I saw was San Francisco Ballet in Swan Lake, in either 1987 or 1988.

#32 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

The gods were with me that day because the program started with Balanchine's Serenade! Can you imagine the effect of that opening tableau on a young, impressionable 19 year old?? It was quite simply the most beautiful thing I had ever seen (the opening curtain on Serenade still brings tears to my eyes to this day).

That would indeed grab your heart for life. I can't remember the first ballet I ever saw, but the first one I really knew thoroughly was Four T's -- to this day it makes me weep.

#33 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

I caught the bug in college, via the library's collection of dusty old films. I definitely recall watching Plisetskya in The Little Humpbacked Horse in a little viewing cubicle at the library, with a bulky set of headphones squeezing my head like a vice. The first live performance I saw was San Francisco Ballet in Swan Lake, in either 1987 or 1988.

This is excellent -- I saw live work first, but when I got serious about dance I spent hours and hours in my college library, watching their Dance in America tapes and their eclectic collection of dance ed films (Graham's A Dancer's World was especially stunning) And yes, those puffy headphones -- my son has a set he likes, and they always make me giggle.

#34 ChantilleElla

ChantilleElla

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

I first saw Swan Lake performed by the Royal New Zealand Ballet, but this several years after I had started ballet. A family friend was playing the swan queen and we just had to go and see her! The most amazing thing I've ever seen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):