Frederic FranklinR.I.P

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 duffster

duffster

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

How very fortunate to have worked with him at the National Ballet of Washington. He was always supportive and kind- very generous with his coaching and always willing to help if you were struggling with any role. I particularly remember a rehearsal (only the two of us ) for a variation in Pas de Dix. He concentrated mostly on the style and certain position of the arms. He once asked me to fill in for a corps dancer whose approach to Les Sylphides he could not tolerate. Since I was a soloist (and not cast in the ballet) I gladly agreed and after a few performances thanked me with his usual charm. I'm glad to have known him. RIP dear Freddie.

#17 Gina Ness

Gina Ness

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

I thought this a lovely find... Frederic Franklin and Maria Tallchief dancing Gaite together at the Hollywood Bowl... In honor and in memory of two remarkable dancers...

https://www.youtube....d&v=aCuQleG8Ins

#18 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,329 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

I thought this a lovely find... Frederic Franklin and Maria Tallchief dancing Gaite together at the Hollywood Bowl... In honor and in memory of two remarkable dancers...

https://www.youtube....d&v=aCuQleG8Ins

The intro is quite something -- is that a theramin? It's so interesting to see them dancing in daylight here, but they're having a wonderful time!

#19 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:32 AM

I've been away and just read this sad news. What an incredible and kind person was Mr. Franklin! It was a treat to have seen his 'character roles' at the Kennedy Center, with ABT. I'll never forget seeing him 'up close' (with Cubanmiamiboy, no less!) at that magical Don Q tribute to Alonso's 90th b'day at the Met, a couple of years ago. RIP, Frederick Franklin.

#20 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

I've been away and just read this sad news. What an incredible and kind person was Mr. Franklin! It was a treat to have seen his 'character roles' at the Kennedy Center, with ABT. I'll never forget seeing him 'up close' (with Cubanmiamiboy, no less!) at that magical Don Q tribute to Alonso's 90th b'day at the Met, a couple of years ago. RIP, Frederick Franklin.

Remember Natasha...? Wearing no glasses, no canes, so alive an upright and charming, with a glass of champagne on one side and his patner on the other one..! flowers.gif Lovely Freddie...

#21 Stage Right

Stage Right

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

I don't know how I missed this news all this time. I somehow knew it was imminent, and had been keeping an eye out for this for weeks, but missed it until now. I am so sad! But what a wonderful, marvelous, full life!! He will be greatly missed by many.

#22 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

The memorial tribute for Franklin yesterday was just wonderful... The glitterati were there in large numbers, by which I mean the stars of the stage, not merely those who wear diamonds in the audience... A few were given time to speak. The stories were heartwarming, not surprising when we consider who was being celebrated. Watching the Gaite Parisian was one of the highlights of the evening for it was hard not to see Franklin in the role... I totally understand why Jacques d'Amboise sees so many ghosts on stage when he goes to the ballet. It was nice to hear Arthur Mitchell recounting all the wonderful repetoire Franklin gave DTH. I remember being so impressed with the repetoire long before I had even heard of Frederic Franklin. Julie Kent had a hard time keeping the tears down as she spoke and Gillian Murphy & Stella Abrera gave us one of the most appropriate tributes... to dance for Freddie. Ivan Nagy gave tribute with a reminiscence as full of humor as Franklin himself was. I would love to peruse that guest book... The line to sign it snaked all through the lobby. Eleanor d'Antuono spoke the words so many of us were feeling.

#23 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,329 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

Thanks so much for this report -- it's one of those events I really wish I could have attended.

#24 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

Thanks so much for this report -- it's one of those events I really wish I could have attended.

I feel very much the same. Thank you.

#25 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:37 AM

There were many young ushers thre who I believe were ABT scholarship students... A very nice way ofcfonnecting them to their history.

There were a few Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo dancers there, but my memory is so poor that I only remember Raven Wilkinson because she stood with a spine as straight as a 15 year old...

#26 Stage Right

Stage Right

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:30 AM

Oh, Amy, thanks so much for posting this! I, too, would have been totally thrilled to be there! Must have been amazing, and I bet Franklin would have loved it.

#27 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,329 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:33 AM

There were many young ushers thre who I believe were ABT scholarship students... A very nice way ofcfonnecting them to their history.

There were a few Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo dancers there, but my memory is so poor that I only remember Raven Wilkinson because she stood with a spine as straight as a 15 year old...

And I sat up straighter just reading this!

#28 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:02 AM

Amy, thanks for reporting this.  What did Murphy and Abrera dance?  Hopefully ABT will post some photos from the event to their site.

#29 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

Ok... Here is the remaining info:

Tulsa Ballet's Youhee Son & Hyonjun Rhee danced the pas de deux from Gaîté Parisienne

Carmon de Leone, Music Director for Cincinatti Ballet, talked about working the music out from Ann Barzel's silent clips of Ruth Page's "Billy Sunday" at Franklin's instigation. Or perhaps it was Streetcar Named Desire? Memory fails me here... Perhaps someone else remembers.

Stoner Winslet, AD of Richmond Ballet, looking stunning in a photo worthy black dress, discussed Franklin's typical generosity and kindness helping out smaller troupes.

Richmond Ballet dancers Maggie Small, Malcom Burn & Thomas Garrett (as Swanhilda, Coppelius & Franz) danced Franklin's setting of the awakening scene in Coppelia (what is the actual name for this scene?) where Dr. C thinks he has taken Franz' heart and put it in Swanhilda. Richmond's Charles Caldwell designed one of the prettiest Swanhilda costumes I've ever come across.

Gillian Murphy danced Franklin's staging after Sergeyev of the Dawn variation in a beautiful costume by Patricia Zipprodt (forgive me for going on about the costume, the last time I saw ABT,s Coppelia it was from the nosebleeds and I didn't realize how beautiful the costume design was).

Stella Abrera danced "Prayer" (Franklin, after Sergeyev).

Donations can be made to the Frederic Franklin Scholarship Fund at ABT's JKO school. (There is an easy online form at https://support.abt....redericfranklin )

Huffington Post mentions Ben Stevenson as being one of the lined up speakers but he was not in the program. He might well have been there though... I'm not so good at recognizing even people I've met. http://www.huffingto..._b_4055558.html

#30 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:20 AM

Thank you Amy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):