This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Frederic Franklin

a colleague writes yesterday, May 4:

<<

As many of you will already have heard, Frederic Franklin died tonight at 7.30 at Weill Cornell Hospital.

>>

the attached scan with Franklin as the Poet to Krassovska's Sleepwalker is circa 1946, from Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo

post-848-0-92524900-1367757146_thumb.jpg

2013 is starting to be a very sad year with the loss of Maria Tallchief and now Frederic Franklin's passing last night.

Freddie filled his 98 years with dance and his charisma and smile will sincerely be missed. I loved spotting him in the audience or onstage at ABT in the past few years. There was always a flurry of excitement around him as he told his fantastic ballet stories. Being a young balletomane who absolutely adored him, I was so enamored when he would chat with me and happily agreeded to autograph a photo or two as well. Miss you already Freddie. ~A

Franklin was a tremendous dancer, stager, and hugely motivating personality. As I was re-watching a portion of the Ballet Russes documentary last week, I had that depressing thought that Franklin would most likely be the next to go. And Franklin has been so important in being 'Rememberer in Chief' of the Massine Era of the Ballet Russes (as well as any other choreographies performed in that era). So much passes away with him.

It has been a sad time with Tallchief and Franklin now both gone.

I was afraid that his amazing vitality was waning because he didn't seem to be appearing publicly any longer. What a sad loss for all his fans but what a life lived! RIP, Mr. Franklin.

What a life, indeed! He seemed indestructible. 98 years is a great run, though, and he was vital and energetic almost to the very end. RIP.

What a huge and lasting contribution Franklin made to the world of ballet. What a presence we have lost.

I also still remember him vividly as one of the most compelling performers I ever saw -- in particular as Coppelius and as Madge.

And as everyone who ever spoke to him knows, too, he was unbelievably charming offstage "in person."

The National Ballet which Franklin directed and founded was my "first" ballet company--that is, the first I saw dance regularly live. The company profoundly shaped not just a big part of my childhood but, as I believe, my life. I stumbled out a few words to that effect once when I saw him at an NYCB performance (probably in the 90's).

RIP...

Damn...this is just so sad. Freddie was just such a wonderful person to exchange words with. I had the opportunity to talk to him a couple of times,the last one during Alonso's 90th year birthday at ABT. While coming out of her box, champagne glass in hand, no glasses, no cane, and so willing to talk to me about his beloved Danilova. When I told him that I had seen a footage of him dancing the DQ pdd with Alicia at the Jerome Robbins archives, he said..."Oh, really...?, did I dance that with her...where can I see it?!" happy.png

Definitely an era is gone for good now.

RIP, wonderful Freddie.

4408225673_0361350ed7_z.jpg

NY-BX825A_NYFRA_G_20120930200119.jpg

It is sad to have hin no longer with us, but how lucky we were that he continued almost to 99!

And I am thankful too that attempts were made to capture his memories. The NYPL card catalog turns up 579 items in a search of his name in the Dance Research Collection... 633 in the entire NYPL.

How very fortunate to have worked with him at the National Ballet of Washington. He was always supportive and kind- very generous with his coaching and always willing to help if you were struggling with any role. I particularly remember a rehearsal (only the two of us ) for a variation in Pas de Dix. He concentrated mostly on the style and certain position of the arms. He once asked me to fill in for a corps dancer whose approach to Les Sylphides he could not tolerate. Since I was a soloist (and not cast in the ballet) I gladly agreed and after a few performances thanked me with his usual charm. I'm glad to have known him. RIP dear Freddie.

I've been away and just read this sad news. What an incredible and kind person was Mr. Franklin! It was a treat to have seen his 'character roles' at the Kennedy Center, with ABT. I'll never forget seeing him 'up close' (with Cubanmiamiboy, no less!) at that magical Don Q tribute to Alonso's 90th b'day at the Met, a couple of years ago. RIP, Frederick Franklin.

I've been away and just read this sad news. What an incredible and kind person was Mr. Franklin! It was a treat to have seen his 'character roles' at the Kennedy Center, with ABT. I'll never forget seeing him 'up close' (with Cubanmiamiboy, no less!) at that magical Don Q tribute to Alonso's 90th b'day at the Met, a couple of years ago. RIP, Frederick Franklin.

Remember Natasha...? Wearing no glasses, no canes, so alive an upright and charming, with a glass of champagne on one side and his patner on the other one..! flowers.gif Lovely Freddie...

The memorial tribute for Franklin yesterday was just wonderful... The glitterati were there in large numbers, by which I mean the stars of the stage, not merely those who wear diamonds in the audience... A few were given time to speak. The stories were heartwarming, not surprising when we consider who was being celebrated. Watching the Gaite Parisian was one of the highlights of the evening for it was hard not to see Franklin in the role... I totally understand why Jacques d'Amboise sees so many ghosts on stage when he goes to the ballet. It was nice to hear Arthur Mitchell recounting all the wonderful repetoire Franklin gave DTH. I remember being so impressed with the repetoire long before I had even heard of Frederic Franklin. Julie Kent had a hard time keeping the tears down as she spoke and Gillian Murphy & Stella Abrera gave us one of the most appropriate tributes... to dance for Freddie. Ivan Nagy gave tribute with a reminiscence as full of humor as Franklin himself was. I would love to peruse that guest book... The line to sign it snaked all through the lobby. Eleanor d'Antuono spoke the words so many of us were feeling.

There were many young ushers thre who I believe were ABT scholarship students... A very nice way ofcfonnecting them to their history.

There were a few Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo dancers there, but my memory is so poor that I only remember Raven Wilkinson because she stood with a spine as straight as a 15 year old...