rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:11 AM

a colleague writes yesterday, May 4:
<<
As many of you will already have heard, Frederic Franklin died tonight at 7.30 at Weill Cornell Hospital.
>>

the attached scan with Franklin as the Poet to Krassovska's Sleepwalker is circa 1946, from Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo

Attached Files

#2 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:38 AM

RIP. He was a treasure.

#3 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:42 AM

I was afraid that his amazing vitality was waning because he didn't seem to be appearing publicly any longer. What a sad loss for all his fans but what a life lived! RIP, Mr. Franklin.

#4 AilinaDanceArchives

AilinaDanceArchives

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

2013 is starting to be a very sad year with the loss of Maria Tallchief and now Frederic Franklin's passing last night.

Freddie filled his 98 years with dance and his charisma and smile will sincerely be missed. I loved spotting him in the audience or onstage at ABT in the past few years. There was always a flurry of excitement around him as he told his fantastic ballet stories. Being a young balletomane who absolutely adored him, I was so enamored when he would chat with me and happily agreeded to autograph a photo or two as well. Miss you already Freddie. ~A

#5 AlbanyGirl

AlbanyGirl

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

Oh, I'm so very sad. Freddie Franklin was an absolutely beautiful person. I loved his dancing and his commentary in the film Ballets Russes. Rest in Peace, Mr. Franklin. What a sad few weeks.

#6 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

Obituary of Frederic Franklin on Washington Post. Such a great loss to the ballet world...

http://www.washingto...=rss_obituaries

#7 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

Franklin was a tremendous dancer, stager, and hugely motivating personality. As I was re-watching a portion of the Ballet Russes documentary last week, I had that depressing thought that Franklin would most likely be the next to go. And Franklin has been so important in being 'Rememberer in Chief' of the Massine Era of the Ballet Russes (as well as any other choreographies performed in that era). So much passes away with him.

It has been a sad time with Tallchief and Franklin now both gone.

#8 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,580 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

Damn. Damn, damn, damn.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,312 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

I was afraid that his amazing vitality was waning because he didn't seem to be appearing publicly any longer. What a sad loss for all his fans but what a life lived! RIP, Mr. Franklin.

What a life, indeed! He seemed indestructible. 98 years is a great run, though, and he was vital and energetic almost to the very end. RIP.

#10 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

What a huge and lasting contribution Franklin made to the world of ballet. What a presence we have lost.

I also still remember him vividly as one of the most compelling performers I ever saw -- in particular as Coppelius and as Madge.

And as everyone who ever spoke to him knows, too, he was unbelievably charming offstage "in person."

The National Ballet which Franklin directed and founded was my "first" ballet company--that is, the first I saw dance regularly live. The company profoundly shaped not just a big part of my childhood but, as I believe, my life. I stumbled out a few words to that effect once when I saw him at an NYCB performance (probably in the 90's).

RIP...

#11 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

NY Times Obituary
http://www.nytimes.c...dies-at-98.html

#12 ltraiger

ltraiger

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

Sharing an excerpt from an interview Frederic Franklin did with dance critic and writer Mindy Aloff in 2008 on behalf of Dance/USA. Franklin received Dance/USA's top honor that year.

http://www.danceusa....honor-recipient

#13 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

Damn...this is just so sad. Freddie was just such a wonderful person to exchange words with. I had the opportunity to talk to him a couple of times,the last one during Alonso's 90th year birthday at ABT. While coming out of her box, champagne glass in hand, no glasses, no cane, and so willing to talk to me about his beloved Danilova. When I told him that I had seen a footage of him dancing the DQ pdd with Alicia at the Jerome Robbins archives, he said..."Oh, really...?, did I dance that with her...where can I see it?!" Posted Image
Definitely an era is gone for good now.

RIP, wonderful Freddie.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

It is sad to have hin no longer with us, but how lucky we were that he continued almost to 99!

And I am thankful too that attempts were made to capture his memories. The NYPL card catalog turns up 579 items in a search of his name in the Dance Research Collection... 633 in the entire NYPL.

#15 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

I posted this elsewhere, in a Massine thread, but here's a complete performance with Freddie Franklin and Alexandra Danilova:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):