This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

All Balanchine

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Helene

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

Last night was opening night for Ballet Arizona's "All Balanchine" program: "Serenade," "Monumentum pro Gesualdo," "Movements for Orchestra," and "The Four Temperament."

This is the first year in a decade that I've missed this program Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image. I hope people will go and post about it Posted Image .

Katrina Becker wrote a wonderful preview about the program for the Downtown Phoenix Journal, and it included parts of an interview with Natalia Magnicaballi, who describes working for Ib Andersen and Suzanne Farrell -- she's a member of Suzanne Farrell Ballet when her schedule permits -- her recovery from an ACL injury in 2011, and her love for "Movements for Orchestra." (She was injured during BA's company premiere of Monumentum/Movements in June 2011.)

I think her most interesting point is this, since Balanchine looked at choreography from both sides:

“It’s very interesting for me,” says Magnicaballi, “because [Farrell and Andersen] both worked for Balanchine [in the 1980s], so I have the female…and the male…so it makes sense how they ask for things.” She pauses thoughtfully. “They’re very different in personality, but I think that they complement each other.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):