This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Fall Season @ State Theater Oct 16-27

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#76 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

p.s. Yamamoto seems awfully familiar. I know the name and may have seen him before...perhaps with Tokyo's NNTBallet?

I know that Yamamoto was at National Ballet of Canada, so perhaps that is where you saw him?

You can see a bit more of Yamamoto here (and Tan, Chung, Domitro and Helimets) in Tomasson's

On a Theme of Paganini:
http://www.tudou.com...ew/KBuw7d_KkiI/

And here's a fragment of Trio (just 'cause):

http://www.tudou.com...ew/kzt2NGFfW3E/

#77 Balletgoal

Balletgoal

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

Vito Mazzeo is not retired or dancing in Italy , it seems that is currently dancing as a Principal Dancer with the Dutch National Ballet in Amsterdam.

This official page says that he came back to Europe https://www.facebook...13315588?ref=hl

#78 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:23 AM

... now on my list of great dynamo-dancing men! -- Hansuke Yamamoto. 

I've long thought Yamamoto was sadly underrated; it's great that he's starting to get the recognition he deserves.

#79 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

p.s. Yamamoto seems awfully familiar. I know the name and may have seen him before...perhaps with Tokyo's NNTBallet?

I know that Yamamoto was at National Ballet of Canada, so perhaps that is where you saw him?

Yes, that was the company. Thanks. He is fantastic!

#80 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

Simone Messmer, according to her Twitter site, performed Wednesday and last night (Ratmansky?). Any news about this remarkable artist will be very greatly appreciated.

As for Maria Kochetkova.   flowers.gif

Glad to read the good news about her.

#81 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

I could have sworn that late last night I read a review of Program B by Robert Johnson (Star-Ledger). I distinctly remember him mentioning being bothered by/fixated on Kochetkova's neck (I don't remember which ballet it was). But now, today, the article is nowhere to be seen. His review of opening night was about as positive as anything he's written. The Program B review wasn't panning anything, but it seemed more actively critical. Maybe I fell asleep at the computer and dreamed the whole thing.  ;)

EDIT: Sorry, that was in Seibert's review (so I WAS falling asleep):

"The tension in Maria Kotchetkova’s neck distracts from her precision in, say, a series of fouetté turns that change orientation. Hansuke Yamamoto, eliciting gasps with whip-around jumps, embodies the work’s bravura, the men whipping up excitement as they whirl around the women."

Masha K. tweets: "7 ballets done 3 more to go until the day off".

If anyone has gone to the matinee with Mathilde Froustey - it would be great to hear your impressions.

#82 Lcg

Lcg

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

Frousty was brilliant. Having seen her as a soloist in Paris many times i thought she was nice but not quite there yet. Today she was a revelation. Her lyricism and musicality stood out. It was like watching the music. ...moving as part of it, not to it. Techincally excellent. Will definitely be at tomorrows matinee. Very disappointing that we will not get to see her do Cinderella.

#83 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

Buddy, sorry but I don't recall Messmer from Wednesday night...actually, she wasn't listed in the program. If she danced, it was as a substitute and no announcement was made.

#84 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

Buddy, sorry but I don't recall Messmer from Wednesday night...actually, she wasn't listed in the program. If she danced, it was as a substitute and no announcement was made.

Thanks, Natalia. Rereading her tweet from Wednesday, she probably didn't perform.

"What an inspiring night at Lincoln Center with @sfballet! Can't wait to preform on Friday."

#85 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

Very disappointing that we will not get to see her do Cinderella.

I'm sure that was a result of lack of time - Tomasson had to decide what ballets roles there was time to learn, and what was just pushing it too much.

The original cast list says Messmer on Friday and Sunday, but nothing about Wednesday night.

#86 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

The original cast list says Messmer on Friday and Sunday, but nothing about Wednesday night.

Can you tell us what she danced and will be dancing, pherank ?

#87 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

Can you tell us what she danced and will be dancing, pherank ?

The SFB cast list states:

Program C: Friday, October 18 – 8:00PM

From Foreign Lands
Choreographer: Alexei Ratmansky
German and Polish sections: Simone Messmer (and others)

Program D OPENING MATINEE – Sunday, October 20 – 2:00PM

Suite en Blanc
Choreographer: Serge Lifar

Mathilde Froustey, Vitor Luiz, Davit Karapetyan, Simone Messmer*, Esteban Hernandez, Francisco Mungamba, Wei Wang, Lonnie Weeks, Vanessa Zahorian, Taras Domitro, Yuan Yuan Tan, Tiit Helimets

*Denotes premiere in role

#88 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

For those of us who cannot see Froustey in Suite en Blanc -

#89 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

I went to the matinee today and had my first live viewing of SFB and loved it.  To me a much better company that ABT, but that's perhaps a discussion.  

Tomasson's Trio is a very nice, beautifully constructed piece that shows off the dancers very well.  M. Froustey was enchanting, but more of a surprise was soloist Dana Genshaft.  She is a beautiful women, with a full and wonderfully organic movement quality.  

Ghosts is a terrific piece that was danced well by all.  The music, lighting, costumes and movement all work together to create a world.

Suite en Blanc - Interesting that the music was the same as the Ratmansky ballet Namouna (not exactly the same, this ballet uses fewer pieces from the Lalo suite).  I didn't know what to expect, but was enchanted.  Some of the choreography was devilishly difficult, but all the dancers seemed comfortable.  One stand out for me was Sasha de Sola, a soloist with the company.  She was so secure and delightful.  Well pretty much everyone was secure and delightful, but this dancer stood out.  Also Sofiane Sylvie is a dancer with star power who can really hold the stage.

I'm so glad I got to see this company.  I could easily fall in love.  One other note - I still can't quite figure out why Maria Kochetkova is a guest with ABT at the Met.  I saw her SL last year, when she replaced Cojocaru, and it was good but not great.  When I saw her this afternoon in Ghosts she was good, but not better than anyone else in this outstanding company.  Her name can't possibly sell tickets.  I don't get it.  

#90 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

I went to the matinee today and had my first live viewing of SFB and loved it.  To me a much better company that ABT, but that's perhaps a discussion.  

Tomasson's Trio is a very nice, beautifully constructed piece that shows off the dancers very well.  M. Froustey was enchanting, but more of a surprise was soloist Dana Genshaft.  She is a beautiful women, with a full and wonderfully organic movement quality.  

Ghosts is a terrific piece that was danced well by all.  The music, lighting, costumes and movement all work together to create a world.

Suite en Blanc - Interesting that the music was the same as the Ratmansky ballet Namouna (not exactly the same, this ballet uses fewer pieces from the Lalo suite).  I didn't know what to expect, but was enchanted.  Some of the choreography was devilishly difficult, but all the dancers seemed comfortable.  One stand out for me was Sasha de Sola, a soloist with the company.  She was so secure and delightful.  Well pretty much everyone was secure and delightful, but this dancer stood out.  Also Sofiane Sylvie is a dancer with star power who can really hold the stage.

I'm so glad I got to see this company.  I could easily fall in love.  One other note - I still can't quite figure out why Maria Kochetkova is a guest with ABT at the Met.  I saw her SL last year, when she replaced Cojocaru, and it was good but not great.  When I saw her this afternoon in Ghosts she was good, but not better than anyone else in this outstanding company.  Her name can't possibly sell tickets.  I don't get it.  

Hi Vipa, you bring up something that is worth talking about: the ballets chosen by Tomasson for NYC seem to be ones that specifically show off the COMPANY, and not so much individuals - they are pieces that show how well these dancers can work together as an integrated team.

Kochetkova can be great in a piece like "Borderlands" as well as the traditional pieces, but it's all about what "blows up your skirt". I myself have not paid so much attention to certain dancers for a long while, and then one night, they may just do something unexpected and turn my head around. I love those moments when someone's artistry exceeds my expectations.

It always helps to see a bunch of different programs over time - that's when you get won over by particular people in particular roles. I think you are the first person to mention  Dana Genshaft and Sasha de Sola - it's great when people start noticing less celebrated, but very talented dancers, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):