• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#46 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

I was looking forward to seeing Froustey during the 2 week run in NY.  I'm disappointed that she is not part of the tour.

#47 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

I was looking forward to seeing Froustey during the 2 week run in NY.  I'm disappointed that she is not part of the tour.

Yes, I can understand that, but to be fair to Ms. Froustey, she's brand new and doesn't know any of the rep. She would have had a lot to learn in a few short weeks on top of getting situated in SF. It was nice to hope for, but I m not totally suprised that it's not going to happen. I do wonder if she'll travel with the company to NY as backup/understudy, or if she's just waiting for Nutcracker time...

#48 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

Casting for three of the mixed rep performances has yet to be posted. Don't despair just yet.

#49 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

Another thing to think about - the actual pairings. My own preferences tend toward:

Vanessa Zahorian and her husband Davit Karapetyan
Maria Kochetkova and Joan Boada
Sarah Van Patten and Tiit Helimets
Yuan Yuan Tan used to work primarily with Damian Smith (and they were a great team), and Vito Mazzeo I believe, and now that both are retired it's difficult to say who she best pairs with.
I'm also not really able to say who Frances Chung works best with - I think that is still being figured out.

But there is something to be said for mixing things up and creating suprise chemistry.

#50 Quiggin

Quiggin

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

Daniel Deivison-Oliveira, who got great notices in London, also seems to missing from the cast lists.

With Cinderella the part of Benjamin is an important counterpoint to the overly wholesome, Matthew Goldingish Prince. The ballet is a bit old fashioned, with lots of silly vaudeville-like routines, some of the dancing repetitious ... but lots of parts for company members, so all nights should yield a good show. Sarah Van Patten is a good actress, though sometimes she seems to move through a series of still frame reactions, as if for a David Bailey British Vogue layout.

The mixed rep nights should show the company off well. I liked From Foreign Lands, which is very light Ratmansky, and Borderlands, the most intense McGregor, with the company working all-out – and where Vito Mazzeo's height, that of a centering maypole, will be missed. Carlos Quenedit, who danced the same hand-signal part as Mazzeo in Symphony in Three Movements last season, is an interesting dancer to keep on eye on (opposite Frances Chung in CinderellaBorderlands).

#51 lion

lion

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:12 PM

Опубликовано 14.08.2013

SF Ballet in Wayne McGregor's arresting "Borderlands", a fierce, driving study in movement inspired by the work of 20th-century visual artist Josef Albers. 

Learn more at: http://www.sfballet....ickets/produ...

#52 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:11 AM

According to Mathilde Froustey's Twitter feed, she will dance in Trio at the October 19 matinee, and in Suite en Blanc and From Foreign Lands on the 20th.

https://twitter.com/MFroustey

#53 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:18 AM

I echo all of the above thoughts on the Wheeldon Cinderella...except that the old-fashioned quality of the visual presentation is precisely why I love this ballet (as seen on the recent Dutch DVD).  Wheeldon truly pushes the envelope with regard to 'telling the tale' we've seen before. For example, I love how the Prince's back story is almost as important as that of Cinderella; the Prince appears throughout Act I, not just popping up at the Ball in Act II. A lot of the Act I music for stepsisters is now employed to tell the tale of the Prince, for example. There is less of the Stepsisters and nasty Stepmother (deliciously evil Larissa Lezhnina on the DVD!), yet enough for us to understand their unique characters.

There's a lot of story-telling and mime BUT also lots of dancing. In other words, it's not a 'mime, bells-and-whistles Kiddie Show' like Wheeldon's earlier Alice in Wonderland. Balletomanes expecting generous dollops of adult dancing will not be disappointed.

Also - look for a very funny moment in Act I when the young prince and his 'best buddy' Benjamin are considering potential fiancees from other lands...we see the women's portraits hanging above - fiancees from Spain, Russia and Bali. Through the magic of lighting/projections, the women reveal their true characters, no longer so beautiful. In Act II, these ladies actually appear at the ball but the Prince & Benjamin are ready for them.

Finally, watch out for a magic tree that grows at the foot of Cinderella's mother's grave. Watching the special effects linked to this tree is worth the price of admission. As I mentioned earlier, this is a gloriously-designed and conceived production. BEST Cinderella, IMO, beside the Ashton.

#54 lion

lion

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

SF Ballet at The David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln Center, October 16 -- 27.

http://www.youtube.c...rG-I0sHeB7kJAZH

#55 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

According to Mathilde Froustey's Twitter feed, she will dance in Trio at the October 19 matinee, and in Suite en Blanc and From Foreign Lands on the 20th.

https://twitter.com/MFroustey

That's great news for Abatt.  ;)

Froustey dancing Suite en Blanc makes perfect sense - she has to know that one well from the POB. But everything else will take lots of cramming.

#56 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

Yes, I'm excited to see Froustey.  Thanks for the info. 

#57 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

The remaining mixed bill casting is up.

Program B OPENING NIGHT – Saturday, October 19 – 2:00PM

Trio
Choreographer: Helgi Tomasson
Composer: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Conductor: Martin West

Mathilde Froustey*, Joan Boada
Dana Genshaft, Ruben Martin Cintas
Damian Smith*
Frances Chung, Taras Domitro

INTERMISSION

Ghosts
Choreographer: Christopher Wheeldon
Composer: C.F. Kip Winger

Maria Kochetkova, Vitor Luiz
Lorena Feijoo, Ruben Martin Cintas, Shane Wuerthner

INTERMISSION

Suite en Blanc
Choreographer: Serge Lifar
Composer: Édouard Lalo

Vanessa Zahorian, Tiit Helimets, Sofiane Sylve [This, no doubt, is a mistake; it ought to be a second male dancer]
Frances Chung, Esteban Hernandez*, Francisco Mungamba, Wei Wang, Lonnie Weeks
Sarah Van Patten
Davit Karapetyan
Yuan Yuan Tan, Tiit Helimets
Sofiane Sylve

Program A – Saturday, October 19 – 8:00PM

Trio
Choreographer: Helgi Tomasson
Composer: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Vanessa Zahorian, Vitor Luiz
Sarah Van Patten, Tiit Helimets
Anthony Spaulding
Maria Kochetkova, Davit Karapetyan

INTERMISSION

Ghosts
Choreographer: Christopher Wheeldon
Composer: C.F. Kip Winger

Yuan Yuan Tan, Damian Smith
Sofiane Sylve, Tiit Helimets, Shane Wuerthner

INTERMISSION

Borderlands
Choreographer: Wayne McGregor
Composer: Joel Cadbury and Paul Stoney

Maria Kochetkova, Jaime Garcia Castilla
Sarah Van Patten, Pascal Molat

Frances Chung, Carlos Quenedit
Sofiane Sylve, Anthony Spaulding
Koto Ishihara, Lonnie Weeks
Elizabeth Powell, Francisco Mungamba

Program D OPENING MATINEE – Sunday, October 20 – 2:00PM

Suite en Blanc
Choreographer: Serge Lifar
Composer: Édouard Lalo
Conductor: Ming Luke

Mathilde Froustey, Vitor Luiz, Davit Karapetyan
Simone Messmer*, Esteban Hernandez, Francisco Mungamba, Wei Wang, Lonnie Weeks
Vanessa Zahorian
Taras Domitro
Yuan Yuan Tan, Tiit Helimets

INTERMISSION

From Foreign Lands
Choreographer: Alexei Ratmansky
Composer: Moritz Moszkowski
Conductor: Ming Luke

Russian: Sasha De Sola, Jaime Garcia Castilla
Frances Chung, Gennadi Nedvigin
Italian: Joan Boada, Mathilde Froustey*, Dana Genshaft, Dores Andre
German: Jennifer Stahl, Anthony Spaulding*, Luke Ingham, Lonnie Weeks
Spanish: Frances Chung, Joan Boada
Mathilde Froustey, Gennadi Nedvigin
Polish: Jennifer Stahl, Sasha De Sola, Dores Andre, Dana Genshaft
Jaime Garcia Castilla, Anthony Spaulding, Luke Ingham, Lonnie Weeks*

INTERMISSION

Symphonic Dances
Choreographer: Edwaard Liang
Composer: Sergei Rachmaninov

Frances Chung, Jaime Garcia Castilla
Sarah Van Patten, Anthony Spaulding
Lorena Feijoo, Vitor Luiz

#58 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:41 PM

Wow - Damian Smith is being listed in some of these performances - and he'll dance in Ghosts with Yuan Yuan again. I guess he wants to ease his way into retirement: a little at a time.

EDIT: according to Leba Hertz, Smith will dance the 2014 season and that will be the actual end of things. So good news for those of us planning on catching these SFB performances.

http://www.sfgate.co...-18-4733560.php

Lorena Feijoo is now being listed in the programs too.

#59 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

If you're not on Facebook, here is a discount offer for SFB at State Theater:

Until midnight ET tonight, we’re offering $25 seats for performances at the David H Koch Theater at Lincoln Center tomorrow, Thursday and Friday (Oct 16, 17 & 18) with promo code "ONEDAY25" !

Visit the Koch Theater website at http://ow.ly/pEDIU and use your code to snap up your discount, but hurry: this offer expires TONIGHT (10/15) at midnight ET, or while supplies last. (Code is valid for Orch B and Orch C seats.)

#60 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

Thanks ksk, I just bought one.  Orchestra thru 3rd ring look pretty full, but they still have not opened the 4th ring yet, strange.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):