This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Fall Season @ State Theater Oct 16-27

p.s. Yamamoto seems awfully familiar. I know the name and may have seen him before...perhaps with Tokyo's NNTBallet?

I know that Yamamoto was at National Ballet of Canada, so perhaps that is where you saw him?

You can see a bit more of Yamamoto here (and Tan, Chung, Domitro and Helimets) in Tomasson's

On a Theme of Paganini:

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/KBuw7d_KkiI/

And here's a fragment of Trio (just 'cause):

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/kzt2NGFfW3E/

p.s. Yamamoto seems awfully familiar. I know the name and may have seen him before...perhaps with Tokyo's NNTBallet?

I know that Yamamoto was at National Ballet of Canada, so perhaps that is where you saw him?

Yes, that was the company. Thanks. He is fantastic!

I could have sworn that late last night I read a review of Program B by Robert Johnson (Star-Ledger). I distinctly remember him mentioning being bothered by/fixated on Kochetkova's neck (I don't remember which ballet it was). But now, today, the article is nowhere to be seen. His review of opening night was about as positive as anything he's written. The Program B review wasn't panning anything, but it seemed more actively critical. Maybe I fell asleep at the computer and dreamed the whole thing. ;)

EDIT: Sorry, that was in Seibert's review (so I WAS falling asleep):

"The tension in Maria Kotchetkova’s neck distracts from her precision in, say, a series of fouetté turns that change orientation. Hansuke Yamamoto, eliciting gasps with whip-around jumps, embodies the work’s bravura, the men whipping up excitement as they whirl around the women."

Masha K. tweets: "7 ballets done 3 more to go until the day off".

If anyone has gone to the matinee with Mathilde Froustey - it would be great to hear your impressions.

Frousty was brilliant. Having seen her as a soloist in Paris many times i thought she was nice but not quite there yet. Today she was a revelation. Her lyricism and musicality stood out. It was like watching the music. ...moving as part of it, not to it. Techincally excellent. Will definitely be at tomorrows matinee. Very disappointing that we will not get to see her do Cinderella.

Buddy, sorry but I don't recall Messmer from Wednesday night...actually, she wasn't listed in the program. If she danced, it was as a substitute and no announcement was made.

Thanks, Natalia. Rereading her tweet from Wednesday, she probably didn't perform.

"What an inspiring night at Lincoln Center with @sfballet! Can't wait to preform on Friday."

Very disappointing that we will not get to see her do Cinderella.

I'm sure that was a result of lack of time - Tomasson had to decide what ballets roles there was time to learn, and what was just pushing it too much.

Buddy, sorry but I don't recall Messmer from Wednesday night...actually, she wasn't listed in the program. If she danced, it was as a substitute and no announcement was made.

The original cast list says Messmer on Friday and Sunday, but nothing about Wednesday night.

The original cast list says Messmer on Friday and Sunday, but nothing about Wednesday night.

Can you tell us what she danced and will be dancing, pherank ?

Can you tell us what she danced and will be dancing, pherank ?

The SFB cast list states:

Program C: Friday, October 18 – 8:00PM

From Foreign Lands

Choreographer: Alexei Ratmansky

German and Polish sections: Simone Messmer (and others)

Program D OPENING MATINEE – Sunday, October 20 – 2:00PM

Suite en Blanc

Choreographer: Serge Lifar

Mathilde Froustey, Vitor Luiz, Davit Karapetyan, Simone Messmer*, Esteban Hernandez, Francisco Mungamba, Wei Wang, Lonnie Weeks, Vanessa Zahorian, Taras Domitro, Yuan Yuan Tan, Tiit Helimets

*Denotes premiere in role

I went to the matinee today and had my first live viewing of SFB and loved it. To me a much better company that ABT, but that's perhaps a discussion.

Tomasson's Trio is a very nice, beautifully constructed piece that shows off the dancers very well. M. Froustey was enchanting, but more of a surprise was soloist Dana Genshaft. She is a beautiful women, with a full and wonderfully organic movement quality.

Ghosts is a terrific piece that was danced well by all. The music, lighting, costumes and movement all work together to create a world.

Suite en Blanc - Interesting that the music was the same as the Ratmansky ballet Namouna (not exactly the same, this ballet uses fewer pieces from the Lalo suite). I didn't know what to expect, but was enchanted. Some of the choreography was devilishly difficult, but all the dancers seemed comfortable. One stand out for me was Sasha de Sola, a soloist with the company. She was so secure and delightful. Well pretty much everyone was secure and delightful, but this dancer stood out. Also Sofiane Sylvie is a dancer with star power who can really hold the stage.

I'm so glad I got to see this company. I could easily fall in love. One other note - I still can't quite figure out why Maria Kochetkova is a guest with ABT at the Met. I saw her SL last year, when she replaced Cojocaru, and it was good but not great. When I saw her this afternoon in Ghosts she was good, but not better than anyone else in this outstanding company. Her name can't possibly sell tickets. I don't get it.

I went to the matinee today and had my first live viewing of SFB and loved it. To me a much better company that ABT, but that's perhaps a discussion.

Tomasson's Trio is a very nice, beautifully constructed piece that shows off the dancers very well. M. Froustey was enchanting, but more of a surprise was soloist Dana Genshaft. She is a beautiful women, with a full and wonderfully organic movement quality.

Ghosts is a terrific piece that was danced well by all. The music, lighting, costumes and movement all work together to create a world.

Suite en Blanc - Interesting that the music was the same as the Ratmansky ballet Namouna (not exactly the same, this ballet uses fewer pieces from the Lalo suite). I didn't know what to expect, but was enchanted. Some of the choreography was devilishly difficult, but all the dancers seemed comfortable. One stand out for me was Sasha de Sola, a soloist with the company. She was so secure and delightful. Well pretty much everyone was secure and delightful, but this dancer stood out. Also Sofiane Sylvie is a dancer with star power who can really hold the stage.

I'm so glad I got to see this company. I could easily fall in love. One other note - I still can't quite figure out why Maria Kochetkova is a guest with ABT at the Met. I saw her SL last year, when she replaced Cojocaru, and it was good but not great. When I saw her this afternoon in Ghosts she was good, but not better than anyone else in this outstanding company. Her name can't possibly sell tickets. I don't get it.

Hi Vipa, you bring up something that is worth talking about: the ballets chosen by Tomasson for NYC seem to be ones that specifically show off the COMPANY, and not so much individuals - they are pieces that show how well these dancers can work together as an integrated team.

Kochetkova can be great in a piece like "Borderlands" as well as the traditional pieces, but it's all about what "blows up your skirt". I myself have not paid so much attention to certain dancers for a long while, and then one night, they may just do something unexpected and turn my head around. I love those moments when someone's artistry exceeds my expectations.

It always helps to see a bunch of different programs over time - that's when you get won over by particular people in particular roles. I think you are the first person to mention Dana Genshaft and Sasha de Sola - it's great when people start noticing less celebrated, but very talented dancers, too.

Interesting

Hi Vipa, you bring up something that is worth talking about: the ballets chosen by Tomasson for NYC seem to be ones that specifically show off the COMPANY, and not so much individuals - they are pieces that show how well these dancers can work together as an integrated team.

Kochetkova can be great in a piece like "Borderlands" as well as the traditional pieces, but it's all about what "blows up your skirt". I myself have not paid so much attention to certain dancers for a long while, and then one night, they may just do something unexpected and turn my head around. I love those moments when someone's artistry exceeds my expectations.

It always helps to see a bunch of different programs over time - that's when you get won over by particular people in particular roles. I think you are the first person to mention Dana Genshaft and Sasha de Sola - it's great when people start noticing less celebrated, but very talented dancers, too.

Interesting point, and certainly one that I can't fault Tomasson for. He has to show how great his company is, and by my viewing of one performance, he succeeded. My comment about Maria Kochetkova was that I just don't get why she is a guest artist with ABT.

If I lived in SF I would be so into this company. As a New Yorker I am a bit NYCB fan.

Interesting

Interesting point, and certainly one that I can't fault Tomasson for. He has to show how great his company is, and by my viewing of one performance, he succeeded. My comment about Maria Kochetkova was that I just don't get why she is a guest artist with ABT.

If I lived in SF I would be so into this company. As a New Yorker I am a bit NYCB fan.

And so would I be if I was in NYC. ;)

But I'm on the West Coast, so for me, I've had to learn with SFB and PNB. I did of course go see ABT when they recently visited LA, which was worthwhile to be sure. But now with Messmer and Froustey added into the mix, there's still lots to be experienced with SFB. I'm looking forward to next season and beyond. I'm hoping Froustey can really blossom in SF.

EDIT: regarding Masha Kochetkova at ABT - she's absolutely the type of person who will take on any challenge just to see how it goes. She is extraordinarly fearless. And so she will have a load of life experiences at the end. She's become one of the "gala queens", and seems willing to appear anywhere she can make friends. So she's got fans spread out all around the globe from these gala appearances. She's a very intelligent and thoughtful woman (if you ever happen to listen to an interview with her), so I suppose her personality just wins people over. ABT may have just needed someone on short notice and she's certainly the type to just get on the red eye flight and be there, as needed.

A few notes. Kochetkova fills a need for ABT insofar as giving Herman Cornejo an appropriately sized partner. Reyes is his usual go-to partner, but she is getting old and cannot dance everything. IN fact, she has never danced SL at ABT, so they had to find an outside person to dance with Cornejo in SL.

Anyway, back to SFB. Messmer was gorgeous in the German section on Friday evening of the Ratmansky ballet. She danced with beautiful lyricism.

Froustey was a knockout today in Trio. Other highlights of this afternoon included the gorgeous Yuan Yuan Tan and the regal Sofiane Sylve in Suite en Blanc. What a wonderful company. I hope NY doesn't have to wait another 5 years for a return visit.

EDIT: regarding Masha Kochetkova at ABT - she's absolutely the type of person who will take on any challenge just to see how it goes. She is extraordinarly fearless. And so she will have a load of life experiences at the end. She's become one of the "gala queens", and seems willing to appear anywhere she can make friends. So she's got fans spread out all around the globe from these gala appearances. She's a very intelligent and thoughtful woman (if you ever happen to listen to an interview with her), so I suppose her personality just wins people over. ABT may have just needed someone on short notice and she's certainly the type to just get on the red eye flight and be there, as needed.

Very nice comments. The immediate announcement of her replacing the cancelled Alina Cojocaru in ABT's June "Swan Lake" brightened my day considerably. I had a ticket to see Alina, but a chance to see Maria really compensated. She was Excellent !
Thanks also for listing Simone Messmer's performances.
Abatt wrote:
"A few notes. Kochetkova fills a need for ABT insofar as giving Herman Cornejo an appropriately sized partner."
Conversely, I think that it helps the appearance of Maria Kochetkova's performances considerbly to have "an appropriately sized partner." She looked just fine with Herman Cornejo.
and
"Anyway, back to SFB. Messmer was gorgeous in the German section on Friday evening of the Ratmansky ballet. She danced with beautiful lyricism."
Great to hear !

I went to the SunMat Oct 20 performance - 'From Foreign Lands; 'Symphonic Dances'; 'Suite en Blanc'---The absolute winner choreographically was Edwaard Liang. At the start of the performance, cast changes were announced---and since they are done in a garbled manner---I am not quite sure of who danced what. My kudos go Liang for his gorgeous work.

The ensemble dances were inventive and inspired and were interspersed with three poetic PDDs----any one of them could stand alone---and here we had three.

And now from the sublime to the.............'Suite en Blanc'-----such Kitsch! I saw this work for the first time in 1947 (yes, the year is not a typo) The POB had a NYC season and this was part of it (along with 'Palais de Crystal'). I cannot recall any part of the work---but I do remember my reaction to it at the time....negative all the way.---At the time I had been a ballet-goer for only 3 years..and had visions of Balanchine in my head---and imagine seeing 'Symphony in C' for the first time and then seeing 'Suite en Blanc'?? The combinations are so simplistic----classroom exercises---and the men walking about with one arm raised in a "Hail, Caesar salute"----much too often during the piece...and that exemplary corps de ballet---just standing in the background and posing.

I wish there were more mixed programs to see-----It is a marvelous Company----maybe we could do a switch and have them in NYC for half a year while we send NYCB to SF.......tiphat.gif

Enjoyed Trio, From Foreign Lands (the national dances in Swan Lake, but without the swans), and Symphonic Dances, but couldn't disagree more about Suite en Blanc--saw both perfs this weekend, and loved it even more the second time. If these are classroom exercises, then I'm quite at home in the classroom, complete with what I kept thinking of as Le Grand Gesture (of which, yes, there are plenty in this piece). From your description, I would have thought you were referring to the pretty but inane Bal de Couture over at NYCB. And so nice to see Simone Messmer again as the girl in the pas de cinq! So I hope we can agree to disagree on this one.

I haven't been to San Francisco in about twelve years; now I want to return next year to see more of this terrific company!

To each his own. I liked Suite en Blanc and was happy to see both performances of that ballet over the weekend. During this visit I was able to see aspects of Simone Messmer's dancing that I had never seen at ABT. Her rep at ABT was so limited and stilted. Now she can shine, they way she should have during her years at ABT.

I think the rep of SFB fits Maria Kochetkova better than either of the ballets I saw her in at ABT (SL and SB).

For those who have been put off by the high price or scarcity of tickets for "Cinderella" next week. The box office has now opened up the Fourth Ring for all shows Wednesday through Sunday afternoon. The first two rows in the center are $91.00 but the rest are $29.00 plus the $2 service charge. Get them while they last.