This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Fall Season @ State Theater Oct 16-27

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:43 AM

SFB will return to the State Theater, Lincoln Center for a 2-week season with mixed programs by Ratmansky, Wheeldon, Morris, Tomasson, McGregor, Liang.., and Wheeldon's Cinderella.

http://www.sfballet.org/tickets/ontour

#2 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:31 AM

I had to laugh at the opening language of their announcement:

As part of our mission to share the joy of dance with the widest possible audience in our community and around the globe, . . .

New York's Lincoln Center? Coals to Newcastle anybody? I'd say southern California could use a visit from SFB, especially in view of the disastrous season for 2013-14 at Segerstrom.

#3 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:06 AM

Thanks for this info Mussel. Looking forward to this engagement.

#4 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:28 AM

Smart move, taking Cinderella. It opens tonight, and according to the website, the entire run of nine performances is sold out.

#5 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

New York's Lincoln Center? Coals to Newcastle anybody? I'd say southern California could use a visit from SFB, especially in view of the disastrous season for 2013-14 at Segerstrom.

And I would travel to Segerstrom to see SFB - definitely an improvement over the other 2014 offerings.

Smart move, taking Cinderella. It opens tonight, and according to the website, the entire run of nine performances is sold out.

Well they have certainly marketed the hell out of it. And Wheeldon's name is now starting to have real cachet (not that the general public is going to know Wheeldon from Adam).

#6 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

Seems like NY City Center is tosing a lot of bookings. SFB used to always appear at City Center.

#7 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

As part of our mission to share the joy of dance with the widest possible audience in our community and around the globe, . . .

Yep. What god do I need to sacrifice to in order to get some classical ballet down here???

#8 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,316 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

City Center has been the default for many companies because with NYST full, there was no alternate venue of its size in Manhattan. Now that there is another option for part of the season, and there is no direct competition, it's win/win.

In the meantime, NYCO is looking for a new home in cental Manhattan.

NYST managed after ABT left the theater. I'm sure City Center will as well.

#9 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

NYC could sure use some Ratmansky-choreographed dancing.

On a more serious note, I wonder when the casting will be announced. Or do they expect us to buy tickets without knowing who we are going to see?

#10 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:50 PM

On a more serious note, I wonder when the casting will be announced. Or do they expect us to buy tickets without knowing who we are going to see?

Here in San Francisco, they only tell us the casts a week ahead of the performance date. Posted Image

#11 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:20 AM

Well they have certainly marketed the hell out of it. And Wheeldon's name is now starting to have real cachet (not that the general public is going to know Wheeldon from Adam).

When the title of the ballet is "Cinderella", it doesn't matter to the general public who the choreographer is.

#12 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

Most likely the opening night cast will be going, revealed here in this review quote -

"Katita Waldo as the small-minded stepmom witch, Sarah Van Patten as the bullying and vainglorious older stepsister, and Frances Chung as the bespectacled young ninny formed a triumvirate that danced with vicious silliness. Such inventive dance, surgically delivered, is a rare delight.

Dancing to Prokofiev's lush and often melancholic 1945 score, Maria Kochetkova was a pliant dreamy girl, and Joan Boada an earnestly boyish Prince"...

..."But the elegantly impish Taras Domitro as the Prince's best friend and son of the King's valet, danced joyously and inventively. Damian Smith performed Cinderella's father with apt fecklessness, and Val Caniparoli as Ben's father had a comic-serious way with his jousting stick."

Normally SF Ballet is good about rotating through all the principals over the course of a week, so It's possible to get a chance to see, for example, Kochetkova, Yuan Yuan Tan, Vanessa Zahorian, Sarah Van Patten, Lorena Feijoo, Frances Chung and Sofiane Sylve in just a 7 day period. Since it sounds like NYC is going to get a mixed program that will cover all bases, the dancers will probably be assigned to perform particular ballets and not others.

-----------------------------------------

Given this list of choreographers -

Ratmansky, Wheeldon, Morris, Tomasson, McGregor, Liang.., and Wheeldon's Cinderella

My guesses at the works to be presented -

From Foreign Lands
Cinderella (excerpts? and/or Within the Golden Hour)
Beaux
Criss-Cross or 7 for Eight
Borderlands
Symphonic Dances

#13 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

I interpreted the press release to mean we were getting at least two different rep programs. I think they did 7 for Eight when they came to the Lincoln Center Festival a few years ago, if I'm not mistaken.

#14 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

I interpreted the press release to mean we were getting at least two different rep programs. I think they did 7 for Eight when they came to the Lincoln Center Festival a few years ago, if I'm not mistaken.

Tomasson's Trio would be another possibility. I'm curious how SF has the money to present Cinderella in full (in NYC) with stagings and costumes, unless they've received some sort of grant for touring the piece.

#15 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

But if the casts are not announced until one week before the actual performance, what do you usually do? Buy tickets to everything and then try to sell the ones for the casts that you do not find interesting?

I'm asking because I really would love to see Yuan Yuan Tan as Cinderella. I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for good seats, but it looks like by the time the casts are disclosed the best seats might be gone already, or the whole run might be sold out.

Dear San-Franciscans, what do you usually do to get around this predicament? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):