This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Paris Opera Ballet School 300th anniversary gala

The gala marking the 300th anniversary of the Paris Opera Ballet School is available to view on demand for the next six months. The performance includes ballets by Nicolas Paul, Léo Staats, Pierre Lacotte and Jean-Guillaume Bart. Most are performed by the school's students, the exception being Lacotte's ballet, performed by POB dancers, with Ludmila Pagliero and Mathieu Ganio as the lead couple, plus Gil Isoart taking on the role of Louis XIV at the beginning of the program.

http://liveweb.arte....caise_de_Danse/

This is the program of the gala, which took place on April 15. Jacques Garnier's ballet and the défilé are not included (unfortunately).

http://www.operadepa...e-danse/detail/

Don't worry, the Defile is slowly making its way to YouTube. This filming is rough but better ones may be 'circulating out there.'

I knew we could count on the French amateur videographers. ;)

This one says it is from April 20th, and looks to be shot from the farthest seat at the back of the balcony. ;)

It looks like they've changed things a bit to allow the étoiles to emerge in pairs and trios...

Pherank, the Defile on the 20th was a special one to different music (Mendelssohn, not Berlioz), choreographed by Claude Bessy especially for the 'guest academies' gala, held one week after the 300th gala on April 15. My understanding is that only students from the guest academies (including Bolshoi) + POB school participated. 'The Real Deal' (with professional etoiles) was on the 15th, to Berlioz' music.

Pherank, the Defile on the 20th was a special one to different music (Mendelsohn, not Berlioz), choreographed by Claude Bessy especially for the 'guest academies' gala, held one week after the 300th gala on April 15. My understanding is that only students from the guest academies (including Bolshoi) + POB school participated. 'The Real Deal' (with professional etoiles) was on the 15th, to Berlioz' music.

Thank you for the explanation, Natalia. Now things make more sense. ;)

It's frustrating not being able to distinguish any of the dancers in these videos, but perhaps there will be one of a higher resolution to make an appearance somewhere on the Internet.

Pherank, the Defile on the 20th was a special one to different music (Mendelsohn, not Berlioz), choreographed by Claude Bessy especially for the 'guest academies' gala, held one week after the 300th gala on April 15. My understanding is that only students from the guest academies (including Bolshoi) + POB school participated. 'The Real Deal' (with professional etoiles) was on the 15th, to Berlioz' music.

Thank you for the explanation, Natalia. Now things make more sense. ;)

It's frustrating not being able to distinguish any of the dancers in these videos, but perhaps there will be one of a higher resolution to make an appearance somewhere on the Internet.

I was very privilaaged to see both the performance of the Paris Opera ecole on the 17th and also the Gala on the 20th and cannot speak more highly of the quality of the performers from the other schools, they well and truly stood up to the high standard of the Parisd Opera school, one very special experience was the response to the Sir Fred Ashtons Pas de deux danced by the Royal Ballet School. which was the most applauded during the evening. The whole programmwe was lovely and it's memory will live on with me for years. Where else could I have seen students from the world's top schools under one roof.

What a unique experience it must have been for the visiting students from the invited schools to the 300 year celebration concert on the 20th April 2013. To take part in a famous Paris Opera Ballet Defile. Watching the video of the performance it is very obvious of how proud they were to be there. I was actually thrilled to be there and witness this amazing event. I do hope that the Paris Opera will release a commercial DVD of the week of the centenary as it would be great to be able to relive the performances and witness the beauty of the Palais Garnier decorated with a profusion of beautiful pink flowers, all up the grand staircase and on balconies and arches. It was such a beautiful breath taking sight.

What a unique experience it must have been for the visiting students from the invited schools to the 300 year celebration concert on the 20th April 2013. To take part in a famous Paris Opera Ballet Defile. Watching the video of the performance it is very obvious of how proud they were to be there. I was actually thrilled to be there and witness this amazing event. I do hope that the Paris Opera will release a commercial DVD of the week of the centenary as it would be great to be able to relive the performances and witness the beauty of the Palais Garnier decorated with a profusion of beautiful pink flowers, all up the grand staircase and on balconies and arches. It was such a beautiful breath taking sight.

Yes, the students must have been thrilled to perform on the Garnier stage - sure to be one of the great moments in their lives.

We all hope that a commemorative DVD is issued, and soon! ;)

EDIT: Apparently the performance did appear as a Television broadcast, so there's hope for a DVD release:

http://thethingsienjoy.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-300th-anniversary-gala-of-paris.html