This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Famous "Non-Giselles"

cubanmiamiboy

I know people, especially adolescents, don't believe how sick they are if they want to hang with their friends and do what they do, but for me, a robust Giselle reflects why she and most of the villagers usually consider Berthe an overprotective fussbudgit, until, of course Giselle dies and "I told you so" is of no comfort.

Dramatically, I find the sweet, passive Giselles dull.

A Giselle can be both delicate and headstrong. It's not unusual for the chronically ill to react to their weakness with a determination not to be held back by it, and it's a very playable conflict in dance. I wouldn't rule a big hearty Giselle out of court - judging by the bits of surviving film, Spessivtseva was something like that - but I tend to agree with bingham on this one.

Thank you for publishing the clip of Lorna Feijoo. What a glorious upper body and port de bras she has!

Yes...she truly knew-(know)-how to work those accents. That's why we called her "The Queen of Accents"...happy.png

Also, for those familiar with the Four Jewels of the National Ballet of Cuba, the great, strong Aurora bosh was not known for her Giselle...(it seems as she danced it, as the pic below states)-but she was definitely the best Myrtha I've ever seen.

aurora-bosch_2.jpg

Here's Bosch as the Queen of Willis at the youthful age of 49.

Lorna Feijoo is a great artist from what I can tell! I like some of the extra touches the Cuban mise en scene has like Giselle kissing the flowers and giving them to Albrecht before someone backstage pulls her away.