• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:53 AM

Martine Van Hamel, a great Myrtha,danced Giselle with C Tippett in the seventies(?) .Although she looked too healthy in the 1st act,I thought she did very well in the 2nd act.

#17 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:35 AM

Martine Van Hamel, a great Myrtha,danced Giselle with C Tippett in the seventies(?) .Although she looked too healthy in the 1st act,I thought she did very well in the 2nd act.

Cynthia Gregory also did Giselle in that era, partnered by Ross Stretton:
http://www.nytimes.c...in-giselle.html

#18 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:25 AM

I was curious about Gregory, and was about to search a bit into it...

#19 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,573 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

Although she looked too healthy in the 1st act,I thought she did very well in the 2nd act.

Sergei Grinkov had congenital heart disease and won two Olympic gold medals and had a flourishing professional career despite it until his heart gave out at the rink one day. Appearances can be deceiving.

#20 anin

anin

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

Maya Plisetskaya never danced Giselle but was considered a great Myrtha and danced it quite often to Ulanova's Giselle.
The photo of Plisetskaya is not from " Giselle " but from " Chopeninana " as " Les Sylphides " is called in Rissia.
She was not a romantic dancer per se but nevetherless was very sucessful in both of these ballets.

#21 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

Martine Van Hamel, a great Myrtha,danced Giselle with C Tippett in the seventies(?) . Although she looked too healthy in the 1st act,I thought she did very well in the 2nd act.

Yes, I remember that season, but unfortunately, I never saw van Hamel in that role. It was during a strange four-week ABT season at City Center -- two weeks of Coppelia and two of Giselle. My friends' reaction was very much like yours, bingham. We all hoped she'd be given more opportunities to work on her Giselle.

Yes, Gregory was in ABT's regular rotation of Giselles. If they were presenting it and she was with the company, she'd be dancing it through the '70s and '80s. I found her unconvincing as both the naive teen and the forgiving spirit, and her attempts at Romantic style were pretty exaggerated for my taste.

#22 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

Martine Van Hamel, a great Myrtha,danced Giselle with C Tippett in the seventies(?) . Although she looked too healthy in the 1st act,I thought she did very well in the 2nd act.

Yes, I remember that season, but unfortunately, I never saw van Hamel in that role. It was during a strange four-week ABT season at City Center -- two weeks of Coppelia and two of Giselle. My friends' reaction was very much like yours, bingham. We all hoped she'd be given more opportunities to work on her Giselle.

Yes, Gregory was in ABT's regular rotation of Giselles. If they were presenting it and she was with the company, she'd be dancing it through the '70s and '80s. I found her unconvincing as both the naive teen and the forgiving spirit, and her attempts at Romantic style were pretty exaggerated for my taste.

During that season, Martine also danced Coppelia which I did not see.

#23 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:53 PM

Although she looked too healthy in the 1st act,I thought she did very well in the 2nd act.

Sergei Grinkov had congenital heart disease and won two Olympic gold medals and had a flourishing professional career despite it until his heart gave out at the rink one day. Appearances can be deceiving.

Absolutely, but conveying "congenital and previously undetected heart defect in otherwise robust person" is hard to do in ballet. Both Giselle and her mother know her heart is bad in most readings; from a theatrical standpoint it's easier to believe that Giselle has lived with this all her life if she isn't too hearty.

#24 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,573 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

I know people, especially adolescents, don't believe how sick they are if they want to hang with their friends and do what they do, but for me, a robust Giselle reflects why she and most of the villagers usually consider Berthe an overprotective fussbudgit, until, of course Giselle dies and "I told you so" is of no comfort.

Dramatically, I find the sweet, passive Giselles dull.

#25 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

I'm currently very high on Lorna Feijoo, shown here. No trace of noble blood, but absolute noble soul.

#26 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,160 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:53 PM

I'm currently very high on Lorna Feijoo, shown here. No trace of noble blood, but absolute noble soul.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDFO5P1I_DE

Oh...divine Lorna. My last favorite ballerina.

#27 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDFO5P1I_DE

Oh...divine Lorna. My last favorite ballerina.

Who is the current Cuban Giselle ?

#28 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

I know people, especially adolescents, don't believe how sick they are if they want to hang with their friends and do what they do, but for me, a robust Giselle reflects why she and most of the villagers usually consider Berthe an overprotective fussbudgit, until, of course Giselle dies and "I told you so" is of no comfort.

Dramatically, I find the sweet, passive Giselles dull.

A Giselle can be both delicate and headstrong. It's not unusual for the chronically ill to react to their weakness with a determination not to be held back by it, and it's a very playable conflict in dance. I wouldn't rule a big hearty Giselle out of court - judging by the bits of surviving film, Spessivtseva was something like that - but I tend to agree with bingham on this one.

#29 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,160 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

Valdes is Kitri...Annette Delgado is Giselle.

#30 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

Thank you for publishing the clip of [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Lorna Feijoo. What a glorious upper body and port de bras she has![/size][/font]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):