This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Sarasota Ballet's 2013-2014 season

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Sarasota Opera House will be the easiest place to see performances b/c it is within walking of many nice hotels, many nice restaurants, etc. I just ate at a new restaurant called Mosaic. I had a quail appetizer and a vegetable cous cous to die for as the entree.....loved it. I have also enjoyed Cafe Amici, El Greco Cafe, Barnacle Bill's and several others. All of these places are within walking distance of the opera house. Barnacle Bill's used to look like a place that sailors might eat, but they have made it look more elegant and "nice" now. Part of me liked it when it was more of a dive (with good seafood).

There are some nice shops too. Brooks Brothers for men and several independent little shops for women. If you stay downtown you won't need a car at all.....just walk to the opera house and restaurants.

I think the November performances are listed with orchestra but the April performances are not. Don't know if that means for sure no orchestra or what.

By the way, I am sure there are taxis. You might have to call one though, b/c I don't see them just sitting around waiting like in other cities, but there are surely taxis. Florida is a driving state for the most part and most people drive their own cars but there are always taxis you can call.

And FYI, the Sarasota Opera House was more of a vaudeville theatre, I believe, back in the 20s. So it has been fashioned into an opera house and renovated again a few years ago. Don't expect an ultra fancy house, although it is not bad at all. Just know you are not entering La Scala!!!

#17 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

Forgot to say that the FSU Center is actually the prettiest theatre (but in the worst location for travelers). It looks like a turn of the century horse shoe shaped theatre. But it is very small and I don't think it can have an orchestra in it. I could be wrong (maybe a small one). I don't know if it even has a pit b/c I have never seen one (but I know theatres can remove front seats and and re-open a pit). I don't know if you can remove seats at this place.

The Sarasota Opera House is definitely the most convenient venue though for out-of-town people.

#18 balletgirl22sk

balletgirl22sk

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

Birdsall,
You are right. There are a couple of nice hotels right at the airport which you could walk to FSU. I was thinking of the bad motels on 41- Tamiami Trail.

#19 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

This is really a wonderful schedule and I wish I lived closer by so I could visit. Also, it is great to learn of one ballet company that is hiring more dancers during the recession, and trying ambitious things.

When you consider the population of the US at 308 million, the country is about 2/3 of the size of Europe. The ballet companies here are equal to most of the regional companies in Europe - but they rarely travel, so no one learns how good they are. The lack of state funding for the arts at the municipal, state and national level also thwarts more broadcasts of the productions.

#20 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

Jayne, Sarasota Ballet also just hired one of the Cuban defectors. I think the company is doing well especially artistically.

#21 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,405 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

What a fantastic schedule for next season.

#22 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:59 AM

.......Don't expect an ultra fancy house, although it is not bad at all. Just know you are not entering La Scala!!!

Don't worry, Birdsall. I'm only expecting greatness on the stage. By the way, the November program (Les Illuminations) dovetails nicely with the Miami City Ballet program (Polyphonia, etc.) in Ft. Lauderdale (a lovely opera house that I've visited...where I met cubanmiamiboy & Jack Reed!). One can catch the last performances of MCB in Ft Lauderdale (Nov 17), then go on to Sarasota and catch the premiere of Les Illuminations on Nov 22). Nice little 'Ballet in Florida' vacation week!

#23 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

NEA just announced a new round of grants, including one to Sarasota for the Ashton programs:

Sarasota Ballet of Florida, Inc. (aka The Sarasota Ballet)
$10,000 Sarasota, FL
FIELD/DISCIPLINE: Dance
To support a celebration of the life and works of Sir Frederick Ashton. The celebration will feature performances of Ashton's most historically significant ballets and an exhibit featuring archival materials including photos and costumes.

For the complete list of grants: http://www.nea.gov/n...ncilByState.pdf

#24 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:35 AM

Each program deserves its own thread for possible detailed discussions on the ballets on view. So...shall we continue discussion of the Illuminations/Serenade/Who Cares? program here:

http://balletalert.i...v-2013-program/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):