This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Director's Choice: 31 May-1 June; 6 June-9 June

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#46 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,414 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

You mean you weren't talking on your iPhone while looking something up on your iPad ;)

Your plan was the sane one. Next time we can make plans in advance.

#47 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

You mean you weren't talking on your iPhone while looking something up on your iPad ;)

Your plan was the sane one. Next time we can make plans in advance.

I spent both flights intermittently watching the people around me play games on their devices, and re-reading Tom Wolfe's "The Pump House Gang" essays about the 1960s (because its a tiny paperback that fits in my pocket).

If you plan on going to any of the SF Ballet's 2014 performances there is a better chance - I generally try for the Tuesday or Wednesday night performances (better for travel rates). I'm not sure if I'll have money again for Seattle in 2014, but, we shall see. I will add my impressions of Seattle/Victoria in the "Where to Stay When Visiting PNB" thread tomorrow.

#48 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:25 PM

The costumes are the original designs by Karinska, and they were rented from National Ballet of Canada, according to the program credits. I think they're ugly as sin, especially for "Diamonds" -- do the men really need those puffs on their shoulders? -- and I much prefer the Lacroix done for Paris Opera Ballet, except for the women's "Rubies" costumes. However, Boal said in past Q&A's that each time they do "Jewels" (or "Rubies") that they make a few more of the Principal/Soloist costumes in the PNB shop, which suggests they're planning to stick with the original designs. (Feh from a design perspective, but a responsible, cost-effective approach. Besides, they need the design budget for "Liebeslieder Walzer," and, if they start saving now, that might be in the rep along with "Stars and Stripes" in 2076.)

Somehow I can't believe those were the original Karinska designs. Is this what we saw?

#49 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,414 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

They look more ornate in the video than what we saw, and I don't think the headpieces are the same. I know that when they re-built the costumes sometime in the '80's or early '90's, the fabrics looked different and the design shifted, but they are still attributed to Karinska.

I can't find anything online that talks about the NBoC costumes.

I'm hoping to be down to see SFB in the Ratmansky program.

#50 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

Here are the original designs by Karinska:

Note the Rubies tutu, the ribbons on the diamond tutu - retained by NBoC, but not by the re-engineered NYCB tutus in the present.

Also note the Emeralds chest area butterfly designs - in present times they are more modest.

Finally note the headwear - your Diamond wore a cage, set back on the head. Your ruby and emeralds wore jeweled tarantulas.

It seems Karinska edited, just as much as Mr B edited.

Posted Image

#51 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

Here are the NBoC diamonds lead costumes - as worn by Carrie Imler and Batkhural Bold:

Note the headwear for Ms Imler has been simplified to only rhinestones, and the crown sits across her head instead of just at the back. The jewel pattern across her chest is different, and the yoke of jewels does not go as low as the original design. The top has a dropped waist as well. The ribbons are more subtle on the lead woman's tutu, but more apparent in real life. I will try to find a post of them. The man's costume is similar to the original.

Diamonds.jpg

Here is the corps for Diamonds at PNB (NBoC costumes), their headwear almost looks like mother of pearl shells, but only on one side, which IMHO looks off kilter. I'll try to find a close-up shot.

overview_rep6.jpg

Here's the close up shot - it almost looks like they're wearing blue china cup fragments on their heads - very odd.

181266_10151514387308952_930427087_n.jpg

#52 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

They look more ornate in the video than what we saw, and I don't think the headpieces are the same. I know that when they re-built the costumes sometime in the '80's or early '90's, the fabrics looked different and the design shifted, but they are still attributed to Karinska.

I can't find anything online that talks about the NBoC costumes.

According to the program note when Suzanne Farrell Ballet danced Diamonds in 2011:

Design by Karinska, courtesy of National Ballet of Canada

There is a photo here.

#53 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

I should have thought of this photo, Jayne - great find. I personally think the set-back "cage" headdress was a very sleek design. But Karinska also tried for the opposite effect - a forehead piece that had a very ethnic look to it:

SuzanneFarrellDiamonds.-Balanchine.jpg

7585364b7b0fa56dd0b86e4a82629fb6.jpg

#54 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

I'm hoping to be down to see SFB in the Ratmansky program.

There is a strong possibillity that I will see the Ratmansky program as well - so we shall see if a number of forum members will attend...

#55 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,414 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

It looks like the corps at least changed their headpieces between the first and last movements, because the ones at the beginning looked more like rhinestone helmets. I don't think that was a hallucination.

I haven't seen NYCB's "Emeralds" for over a decade, but if I remember correctly, the re-done designs were a brighter green and out of shinier fabric and they didn't look so dated. For me, nothing beats the Lacroix "Emeralds" costumes.

The reason I dislike the "Diamonds" women's costumes so much is that I think the soft tutus look sloppy and like they haven't decided to be either tutus or softer chiffon dresses, especially for the corps. Kent Stowell used the same opening configuration for the fourth act of his "Swan Lake," and the formal, stiffer tutus made the spacing that much clearer and cleaner. (The tutus also didn't puff up and down quite as much.) It might have been difficult, though, to fit the corps on the stage in the last movement, especially during all of those human garden pagoda configurations, with stiffer tutus.

#56 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

Totally agree with you, Helene, regarding Lacroix's Emeralds costumes, except for the bodice style which appears too wide/bulky to me and makes even the most dimunitive women appear stocky (Clairemarie Osta for example). Karinska's 'originals' do that as well. And I totally agree regarding the Diamonds tutus - seems to me these need to be pancake tutus in brilliant white. But as you point out, the stage was rather crowded with eager little diamonds, and any more circumference to the tutus and there would have been scrapes and collisions.   ;)

#57 doug

doug

Bronze Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

I love the longer, soft Diamonds tutus. For me, they hearken back to the late 19th century, just as do all the pas de chats in the choreography.

Farrell wore the Diamonds headpiece backwards for purposes of the photo only, above.

No change in the women's headpieces between 1st and 4th movements. Fingerless lace elbow-length gloves added for 4th movement, however.

The PNB Diamonds principal's costumes were built by PNB. All others from NBoC.

#58 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

I love the longer, soft Diamonds tutus. For me, they hearken back to the late 19th century, just as do all the pas de chats in the choreography.

Farrell wore the Diamonds headpiece backwards for purposes of the photo only, above.

No change in the women's headpieces between 1st and 4th movements. Fingerless lace elbow-length gloves added for 4th movement, however.

The PNB Diamonds principal's costumes were built by PNB. All others from NBoC.

>> So that's what's going on with Farrell's headpiece! Well it obviously fits the contours of the head both front and back.

I do recall seeing the lace gloves - that was a nice touch.

#59 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,414 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

Just as an FYI, the quote function hasn't been working since the upgrade, and it's being investigated.

#60 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,749 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

I lost track of this thread until today, so my comments are very behind-time. 

In Toni Bentley's "Winter Season" she talks about being the model for the Diamonds costumes, and mentions that the original placement of the stones on the bodice was in part based on her torso (she was quite flat-chested at the time).  Apparently, when they were worn by dancers with more (or just any) cleavage, it was felt they were too suggestive, so they were modified.

I agree with Doug about the corps costumes -- the longer skirt gives a softer line, and shows to great affect during the pas de chat.  But just logistically, I think it would be very difficult to deal with a wider, stiffer tutu in the 4th movement -- there just isn't enough room on stage for all that width!  When PNB first staged Theme and Variations, I remember them wearing dinner plate tutus, and thinking it looked pretty crowded on stage.

I like the design of the POB Emeralds costumes, but in the video I've seen I don't really like the shade of green (might be the fault of my monitor, rather than the design...)  It's too dark for my taste, but your mileage may vary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):