This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB 2013-2014 season

I bought several singles on-line Monday morning right when the box-office opened and didn't have any problems picking out individual seats. As others will have noticed, you have to reset your password for your old account before you can proceed, but I was logged in on that before ordering tickets. I wonder if it reverts to section selection when it's overloaded.

I bought tickets for the following three shows: (1) Just for Fun: "Jeu de Cartes", "Carnival of Animals", "Four Seasons"; (2) Black and White: "Four Temp.", "Episodes", "Duo Concertant", "Symphony in Three Movements"; and (3) Short Stories: "Sonnambula", "Prodigal", and "Slaughter". Is any other program essential viewing?

I really can't wait to see "Sonnambula." I would love to make a ballet about sleep-eating, not just sleep walking.

I bought tickets for the following three shows: (1) Just for Fun: "Jeu de Cartes", "Carnival of Animals", "Four Seasons"; (2) Black and White: "Four Temp.", "Episodes", "Duo Concertant", "Symphony in Three Movements"; and (3) Short Stories: "Sonnambula", "Prodigal", and "Slaughter". Is any other program essential viewing?

I really can't wait to see "Sonnambula." I would love to make a ballet about sleep-eating, not just sleep walking.

Balanchine's Birthday (January 25) is typically very special. Although not yet on the schedule, they usually have extra events of great interest to Balanchine lovers. Last January they had a panel discussion in the theater between the matinee and evening performances. Among the programming, Concerto Barocco and Kammermusik No. 2 are special (as is Union Jack on January 24).

http://www.nycballet.com/NYCB/media/NYCBMediaLibrary/PDFs/SubscriptionDocuments/NYCB-Winter-2014-Repertory-Calendar.pdf

Since nobody has written about last night's gala, I'll start the conversation. By the end of the evening, I was relieved to see Western Symphony. Compared to everything new on the program, it just reminded me of what a genius Balanchine was. Western is certainly not among his greatest works, but it just looked so much better than everything else on display last night. Justin Peck's new ballet was well crafted and brief, but I'm getting a little tired of seeing the same schtick from him of sliding people across the floor. For me, ballet is about being airborne, not rolling around on the floor. The costumes created by Prabal Gunrung (probably spelled that incorrectly) were attractive and funky (with leather straps here and there). Millepied's ballet was my favorite of the new ballets on offer. The choreography for the group was exciting and fast paced, but the piece also included a lovely pdd featuring the luminous Sterling Hyltin. The costumes, which were comprised in whole or in part by pieces of hard refective black pastic, were fun and very different. The only drawback was that the material sometimes made noise as the dancers moved. I especially enjoyed the fact that the women's toe shoe were covered with this black material, and the material went up to their knees to make it seem like they were boots. Very different, very fun. I usually don't have much positive feeling towards Millepied ballets, but I liked this one very much.

The worst ballet on the program, in my opinion, was the bizzaro Preljocal ballet Spectral Evidence. It was interesting and engaging up to a point but seemed to go on and on and on and..... The men are dressed in dark suits with white collars (priests or religious figures?) and the women are dressed in white plain dresses that have red markings here and there. They are supposed to be witches who will be burned at the stake. The "music" is entirely recorded. There are no pointe shoes used. The "music" is a mish mash of breating sounds, some recorded text in French that poor Robbie Fairchild had to lip sync to, and a variety of other oddities. The choreography became monotonous and boring really fast. The women, I suppose, were doing some sort of dance signifiying that they were possessed by some evil spirit. The stage scenery was some white boxes which alternatiely became a ramp for the ladies to lay down on, a box in which the ladies feigned being burned to death and a coffin. Oy. Sadly, Spectal Evidence is the only ballet of the 3 new offerings that will be repeated this season. I guess I will be taking a LONG coffee break when Spectral returns, because I don't think I can sit through it again.

Well said abatt. I liked the Preljocal as a theatre piece not so much as dance. I noted the Robbins influence on Millepied and Peck and mused about what a Balanchine influence might look like. I decided that it would be somewhat equivalent to saying what a Beethoven influence might look like on a later composer.

Just got back from Balanchine Black & White. What a wonderful time. I just have a few comments. 4T's - The company looked great, the music sounded great. Savannah Lowery in the 2nd movement was outstanding technically and musically. Ashley Bouder in the 4th movement bust on like she was on fire - so exciting

Episodes (One of the few Balanchine ballets I had never seen before). I loved it, particularly the section with Reichlen and la Cour in two spotlights. Frankly I would have found much of the music difficult to listen to, but the choreography guided me. I was with a musician who hasn't seen much ballet and he loved this work, and they way the choreography reflected the score.

Duo Concertant - Magan Fairchild & Jared Angle were excellent. I liked the way the listened to the music without a lot of emoting that some do. My musician friend really liked Fairchild.

Symphony in Three Movements - A pleasure all around. Really liked Sterling Hyltin and Amar Ramasar in the 2nd movement (I know it's silly but I always have looked at this section as alien beings and their mating ritual)

What a great company. My musician friend thought the orchestra was excellent, his only complaint was that the string section sometimes was over powered. Perhaps they need more string players or perhaps it's a conductor's problem to solve.

I'd love to hear other reports. I'm going to see this program again on Oct. 4

Just got back from Balanchine Black & White. What a wonderful time. I just have a few comments. 4T's - The company looked great, the music sounded great. Savannah Lowery in the 2nd movement was outstanding technically and musically. Ashley Bouder in the 4th movement bust on like she was on fire - so exciting

Episodes (One of the few Balanchine ballets I had never seen before). I loved it, particularly the section with Reichlen and la Cour in two spotlights. Frankly I would have found much of the music difficult to listen to, but the choreography guided me. I was with a musician who hasn't seen much ballet and he loved this work, and they way the choreography reflected the score.

Duo Concertant - Magan Fairchild & Jared Angle were excellent. I liked the way the listened to the music without a lot of emoting that some do. My musician friend really liked Fairchild.

Symphony in Three Movements - A pleasure all around. Really liked Sterling Hyltin and Amar Ramasar in the 2nd movement (I know it's silly but I always have looked at this section as alien beings and their mating ritual)

What a great company. My musician friend thought the orchestra was excellent, his only complaint was that the string section sometimes was over powered. Perhaps they need more string players or perhaps it's a conductor's problem to solve.

Great to read about this--it's the program they are doing this season that I would have most liked to see.

I was with a musician who hasn't seen much ballet and he loved this work, and they way the choreography reflected the score.

That's Balanchine in a nutshell.

This made me giggle, but I can absolutely see that image.

Lauren Lovette was most impressive as the Librarian-turned-Mermaid in Wheeldon's Carnival of the Animals last night. All three soloists in the Bacchanale (Autumn) section of the Robbins were also magnificent: Bouder, Veyette and Carmena. On the whole, the company appears to be in fine shape. I'm keeping fingers crossed for another great experience tonight.

All three soloists in the Bacchanale (Autumn) section of the Robbins were also magnificent: Bouder, Veyette and Carmena. On the whole, the company appears to be in fine shape. I'm keeping fingers crossed for another great experience tonight.

You should have seen Tyler Peck, De Luz, and Daniel Ulbrecht in Autumn. While Peck & De Luz were equally magnificent, if not more so, Ulbrecht was the one who stole the show.

Tiler Peck was wonderful in Autumn. Her musicality and phrasing are magnificent. DeLuz and Ulbricht were also thrilling. I also saw last night's cast. Autumn is a very good vehicle for Bouder. I really enjoyed her go for broke, extroverted style in this. Not quite as impressed with Carmena as the Faun compared to Ulbricht. Veyette was very good.

With regard to the Spring section, Mearns was gorgeous. Hyltin was wonderful last night in Spring, but I enjoyed Mearns' performance a bit more.

Game of Cards is definitely not my favorite ballet, but I will say that Adrian D-W danced with thrilling abandon last night in his role debut in that ballet.

I came late on purpose to skip Carnival of the Animals, which for me is a total bore.

Tiler Peck was wonderful in Autumn. Her musicality and phrasing are magnificent. DeLuz and Ulbricht were also thrilling. I also saw last night's cast. Autumn is a very good vehicle for Bouder. I really enjoyed her go for broke, extroverted style in this. Not quite as impressed with Carmena as the Faun compared to Ulbricht. Veyette was very good.

With regard to the Spring section, Mearns was gorgeous. Hyltin was wonderful last night in Spring, but I enjoyed Mearns' performance a bit more.

Game of Cards is definitely not my favorite ballet, but I will say that Adrian D-W danced with thrilling abandon last night in his role debut in that ballet.

I came late on purpose to skip Carnival of the Animals, which for me is a total bore.

Puck = Faun?

Great to read about this--it's the program they are doing this season that I would have most liked to see.

If "Episodes" does not include the Graham tennis match, then did it used to have 5 parts, or was a 4th part made to replace her part?

I really think "Episodes" (and the entire b&w program) requires more viewing, but I don't know if I have the stamina. Is it on film anywhere?

Lauren Lovette was most impressive as the Librarian-turned-Mermaid in Wheeldon's Carnival of the Animals last night.

That doesn't surprise me at all! I'd love to see her, but I don't think I can sit through the ballet again. I have no idea why they are reviving this piece, which I saw last Friday. The only things of interest were the very entertaining Amar Ramasar as the ape, and Sara Mearns looking ravishing as the "Librarian-turned-Mermaid." Otherwise, a total yawn. I thoroughly enjoyed Four Seasons, especially the splendid Sara Mearns in "Spring," and I'd love to see it again, especially with the other cast. But it's hard to justify the expense of a ticket with Carnival of Animals and Jeu de Cartes on the program .

I'm a sucker for Wheeldon, so had to see Carnival, if only once (and that may have been it...ha-ha). I see their point in wanted to attract the kiddies. LOVED tonight's Wheeldon ballet (Soiree Musicale) and, once again, the dancing of Lauren Lovette. Namouna is one of those rare Ratmansky ballets that I enjoy...the echoes of 19th-C ballet and that wonderful Lalo score. My only complaint: it wasn't long enough, or not as long as I recall when it premiered.

On the other hand, 'Once Was Definitely Enough' for the new Preljocaj work. What a bummer that my only look at Tiler Peck during these two nights was in this. smile.png

Soiree Musicale is growing on me. I thought it was okay last season, but somehow it looked even better last night. I think that may have been, in part, because of the wonderful addition of Catazaro to the cast, filling in for the injured Chase Finlay. He and Lovette made a wonderful couple, and his poetic and passionate dancing was a pleasure in the big pdd.

Didn't like Spectral any better the second time around. Should have gone to Starbucks.

Loved Namouna. Hyltin triumphed in the lead role debut. Bouder was also smashing (filling in for Ringer) in the cigarette role. (Ringer is also replaced this week in Sonnambula by Faye Arthurs, FYI). Mearns danced with abandon. I prefer Robbie Fairchild in the lead, but Tyler Angle did a good job. I hope I can fit another Namouna into my schedule next week so I don't have to wait until May to see it again. By the way, Natalia, you are correct that the original version that Ratmansky choreographed was several minutes longer than the version they are currently using. After the premiere, Ratmansky chopped a few minutes out of the production.

when asked on the wing in the theater, Ratmansky told me he cut about five minutes from the original presentation of NAMOUNA, A GRAND DIVERTISSEMENT. after comparing the slightly trimmed, approx. 55-min. version's music with the initial 60 min. one, i found that the musical numbers Lalo called "Tambourin" and "Danse Morocaine" were the excised selections.

I had never seen Namouna before, and I loved it. Wish I could see it again, but there is no way I could sit through Spectral Evidence again. If I could have walked out during this piece without disrupting the people sitting next to me, I would have. In fact, I was so dispirited at intermission that I nearly left altogether, but I had heard good things about Namouna, so thankfully, I stuck it out and left the theatre in high spirits. Like the delightful Four Seasons, Namouna is saddled with being on a program with pieces I have zero interest in (although Soiree Musicale was charming), and it's hard to buy a ticket when I know I'll be skipping half the program.

Had my second viewing of Balanchine Black & White. It's a program I could see again and again with pleasure. The casting was different, and I just want to comment on a few dancers. 4T's - Ana Sophia Scheller was lovely in the 2nd variation, but I prefer the go for broke quality that Savannah Lowery brought to it. Episodes - I like this even more the second time it saw it than the first. I wish the company would do it more. The first go round Sara Mearns did the "Musical Offering" movement and brought her usual lush movement quality to it. This time it was Rebecca Krohn who was very different, but I liked it as much. Her dancing was big, but also direct and gracious.

Duo Concertant - Sterling Hytin & Robert Fairchild. They look great together. Hyltin was wonderful. Her dancing both joyful and relaxed. She's been a dancer that I never went out of my way to see, I didn't avoid her, but never looked for her in casting. After seeing her in Symphony in Three Movements & Duo C, I'm changing my mind. I don't know if I've changed, she's changed or both!

Symphony in 3 - Who is Andrew Scordato? I know he's in the corps, but why have I not noticed him before? In the first movement he made his entrance with a jump that just hung in the air. He danced the entire ballet well. Has he been given principal roles before?

Both nights that I attended, when the curtain went up for Symphony in 3, the audience gasped. Something about that diagonal of women in those white leotards is striking.

Again a great program. Next week I'm seeing the Preljocaj piece. I'm not very hopeful.

Duo Concertant - Sterling Hytin & Robert Fairchild. They look great together. Hyltin was wonderful. Her dancing both joyful and relaxed. She's been a dancer that I never went out of my way to see, I didn't avoid her, but never looked for her in casting. After seeing her in Symphony in Three Movements & Duo C, I'm changing my mind. I don't know if I've changed, she's changed or both

I don't see the company as regularly as you do, but from my occasional viewing over the years (and having last seen Hyltin during the spring season), I think she has genuinely grown as an artist in a very impressive (and pleasurable) way...Maybe others could "see" her qualities before I did--but I also think she has really changed if only in the sense of realizing those qualties.