This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Maria Tallchief, RIPsad news tweeted by an individual involved with the NIKOLAI play

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61 GeorgeB fan

GeorgeB fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

Maria Tallchief dancing the Waltz from Gaite Parisienne with Frederic Franklin at the Hollywood Bowl in 1954

dancing Les Sylphides with Royes Fernandez

Yes Maria was much more then just a Balanchine Dancer.

#62 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Thanks so much for the Gaite clip -- I hadn't seen it before. It looks like they were performing in broad daylight.

#63 GeorgeB fan

GeorgeB fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

A photo from Balanchine's The Nutcraker with Maria as the Sugar Plum Fairy. Isn't that Tanaquil LeClercq as Drewdrop?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#64 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

yes, that would appear to be TLClercq as Dewdrop, supported by Franciso Moncion and probably Paul "Rusty" Nickel as the Nutcracker Prince

#65 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

I love Maria's tutu..! Posted Image

#66 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Maria Tallchief dancing the Waltz from Gaite Parisienne with Frederic Franklin at the Hollywood Bowl in 1954

http://youtu.be/aCuQleG8Ins

Ah...how lovely! Posted Image

#67 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:03 PM

Well, there's more Tallchief turning up -- this is more of the original Mozartiana than i have ever seen before, Tallchief in the "Gigue" -- I'd love to see more, but I'm THRILLED to see even this much. Thank God for Nick Wallace Smith.

#68 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

I love Maria's tutu..! Posted Image

Tasty! (I know, sugar plums must be edible, but that's what came to me.)

Thanks for the images, GeorgeB fan; they were unfamiliar. And now I know better what people were talking about when they said the redesigned Nutcracker was overdone. These designs are lovely and simple.

How about some eyewitness testimony to go with your images?

After intermission, dressed now in my beautiful tutu, I adjusted my tiara and made my entrance. I stood in the wings for most of the second act, preparing for the pas de deux. I was worried. To calm down I watched Tanny lead the "Waltz of the Flowers." What a performance! Watching her you could see all of George's training in the precision of her feet and legs, her beautiful port de bras, her response to the music. She was a dazzling dancer, and every time she left the stage I could hear the applause. By the end the audience was screaming, "Bravo!" It took a while for the cheering to die down.

Then, suddenly, Nicky and I were on, and we began dancing to this quiet but very grand music. The entree went well, and the adagio finished as I jumped into his arms. The audience started to shout and scream. The reaction was deafening, a true ovation. George had made magic again. He had created a monument to the joy of childhood and family life, and to the beauty of music and dancing. I wondered if, among all the treasures he had given me, this wasn't the greatest yet.

These are of course the words of the great lady we remember here, from her autobiography of 1997, describing the premiere.

#69 Neryssa

Neryssa

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

A photo from Balanchine's The Nutcraker with Maria as the Sugar Plum Fairy. Isn't that Tanaquil LeClercq as Drewdrop?

I've seen the one of LeClercq and Tallchief before but in black-and-white. It is always amazing to see such photos in color. Thank you for posting them.

#70 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

I'm not sure that we've linked to this Pas de Deux yet - Tallchief and Nureyev dancing the Flower Festival of Ganzano (1962). Shot for television (oh well).

#71 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:11 PM

I've seen the one of LeClercq and Tallchief before but in black-and-white. It is always amazing to see such photos in color. Thank you for posting them.

And the poster, excuse me, the photographic print, is available at allposters.com (there is an enlarged online image to look at as well):

http://www.allposter...s_i3780404_.htm

#72 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:03 AM

I hope everyone has had the chance to click the LINK to Joan Acocella's piece in the latest New Yorker. Postscript: Maria Tallchief (1925-2013) Thanks to dirac for posting it.

Acocella's text includes insights and information that I had not read elsewhere. Especiall relevant for this thread are

-- some personal stuff which helps fill out the picture of a complex human being;

-- the influence of hear early teacher Nijinska (Her husband and translator once came up in class to the young Tallchief and whispered, "Madame think you look like spaghetti.");

-- her work with Balanchine, about whom Acocella writes, "she was the first woman on whom he practiced at length."

I especially loved this verbal snapshot of Tallchief -- intense, devoted to every detail of presentation -- coaching a very young Jennie Somogyi in "Pas de Dix" back in 1995:

Fingers out—all the way out! That’s it. Now back here—yum-tada-tum—head! Here, here, head! Yes. Now hand across the face. Remember, like a veil. Don’t throw it away, Jenny. Find your elbow, find your head. Chest up. Waist in. Where’s your fanny? Tucked in. Good. Don’t hurry. Yes. Yum-tada-tum. Pas de bourrée. You’re saying to the audience, ‘Look at my beautiful feet.’ Now arms. You’re saying, ‘Look at my beautiful gestures.’ And now—‘Look at what I’m going to do next!’

#73 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

I loved this quote:

The example that is always written about today is Suzanne Farrell, but great as she was—for many, the greatest of all his dancers, in sixty years—this is partly because so many of the writers in question witnessed her career, and not the others’.

#74 Neryssa

Neryssa

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

I loved this quote:

The example that is always written about today is Suzanne Farrell, but great as she was—for many, the greatest of all his dancers, in sixty years—this is partly because so many of the writers in question witnessed her career, and not the others’.

Me too. People need to be reminded of this more often.

#75 Neryssa

Neryssa

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

And the poster, excuse me, the photographic print, is available at allposters.com (there is an enlarged online image to look at as well):

http://www.allposter...s_i3780404_.htm

Wow, thanks for the link. They also have some nice photo prints of Tanaquil LeClercq and Arthur Mitchell in Western Symphony. Who knew?

P.S. Thank you for the link to the New Yorker profile - although I could have done without Croce's take on Tallchief's romantic life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):