Maria Tallchief, RIPsad news tweeted by an individual involved with the NIKOLAI play

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

as of this evening, no further information.

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,248 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

Oh, sad news.

Rest in peace, Ms. Tallchief.

#3 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:09 PM

Well she's with the angels and Tchaikovsky and Mendelssohn and Stravinsky and Balanchine now.

I wish I'd seen her -- Francis Mason was not the only one to think of her days as the most exciting ones of all. She's on the cover of i remember Balanchine. i've recently been watching her in Allegro Brillante and Scotch on youtube and finding her musicality attack, precision thrilling. I showed her in Scotch to a friend who thought it was Kitsch and I just had to bite my tongue, cuz I thought it was romantic, the separations of hte lovers were harsh and unbearable and made my heart pound but I wasn't about to try to explain that to him, he'd just have been embarrassed for him and i'd have been forced to cut him off.

#4 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

as of this evening, no further information.

Thank you for letting us know - very sad, but it will renew interest in her accomplishments - if only for a while.

#5 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

Tallchief in Allegro Brillante

#6 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,575 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

Such sad news -- thank you Paul, for a glimpse at her skills!

#7 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

Here's from the first chapter of her autobiography:
http://www.nytimes.c...-tallchief.html
What a strong, clear mind -- and what wit! Balanchine never loved a woman who wasn't smart and a wit.

"My father, Alexander Joseph Tall Chief, was a full-blooded Osage Indian. Six foot two, he walked with a sturdy gait and loved to hunt. The story goes that he could stroll through the woods, rifle in hand, spot a quail or pheasant out of the corner of his eye, point the gun, and shoot the bird without breaking his stride. With his strong aquiline profile, Daddy resembled the Indian on the buffalo-head nickel. Women found him handsome, and when I was young I idolized him.

My earliest memory of my father is from when I was three. I slept in a second-floor bedroom with my sister Marjorie, who was an infant. One evening when I fell asleep in the living room, Daddy picked me up. Snuggled in his arms, I remember waking as we climbed the stairs. I can still see his dark eyes, his tender smile, his shiny black hair.

When Daddy was a boy, oil was discovered on Osage land, and overnight the tribe became rich. As a young girl growing up on the Osage reservation in Fairfax, Oklahoma, I felt my father owned the town. He had property everywhere. The local movie theater on Main Street, and the pool hall opposite, belonged to him. Our ten-room, terra-cotta-brick house stood high on a hill overlooking the reservation.

When my father was a young man, he married a young German immigrant and they had three children--two boys, Alexander (whom everyone called Hunky) and Tommy, and a girl, Frances. They were little children when their mother died. Later, when Ruth Porter, my mother, came to Fairfax to visit her sister, who worked as a cook and housekeeper for my Grandma Tall Chief, Daddy was Fairfax's most eligible bachelor. Mother must have arrived tired and dusty from her long journey, but from what I'm told there was an instant attraction between them.

#8 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

Tallchief in Pas de dix [with Eglevsky]:

#9 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:51 AM

#10 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:10 AM

Terribly sad news. RIP, Miss Tallchief.

Thank you, Mme. Hermine, for posting the "Firebird" clip. Whenever I think of Maria Tallchief, this magical clip pops into my mind.

#11 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:37 AM

http://www.chicagotr...,0,819750.story

#12 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

I remember seeing her in clips of "The Four Temperaments," and "Scotch Symphony."
She was a phenomenal ballerina and a national treasure. She will be sorely missed.
Maria Tallchief, rest in peace.

#13 Bonnette

Bonnette

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

Sad news, indeed. She looks so vibrant in the photo accompanying her obituary (thank you for that link, Mme. Hermine). She was a formative influence for so many. I loved her and wish her godspeed.

#14 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,256 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

RIP, Mrs Tallchief.

#15 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

What a loss. Truly a national treasure. Requiescat in pace, Maria Tallchief.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):