This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Osipova named Principal at Royal B while staying with Mikhailovsky

Just received a phone call with the news, she will be guest principal, details will be announced later.

This clearly follows on from her performances in Swan Lake, presumably she liked the company and a lot of the rep will suit her very well.

An announcement from Vladimir Kekhman:

Natalia Osipova , Principal Dancer of the Mikhailovsky Theatre in St.Petersburg has become also a Principal of the Royal Ballet in Great Britain. The ‘Izvestiya’ newspaper was informed about it by the Director General of the Mikhailovsky Theatre Vladimir Kekhman.

According to him, the official announcement will be made soon by the management of the Royal Ballet. At the same time Natalia Osipova will remain a Principal of the Mikhailovsky and will continue dancing on its stage in the earlier scheduled repertoire.

http://izvestia.ru/n...5#ixzz2Ps3pPK62

Osipova will dance in the Royal Ballet's Nutcracker in the 2013-14 season, according to reports on twitter. Presumably other things as well.

Is she still going to dance with ABT as well?

She's still listed for the spring season at the Met. The ROH news release says her next performances with Royal will be in R&J. Those are scheduled from October 19 - December 7, but no casting is listed for those as yet. I'll be very surprised if she dances in the fall ABT season at Lincoln Center, but the high-profile guests never seem to dance in the fall season anyway.

I would never have expected Osipova or Vasiliev at the Fall ABT performances. Most of the star dancers do not appear for that gig. Wherever Osipova goes Vasiliev seems to also go. Do we think he will become a more regular guest artist with the Royal. McKenzie should definitely be taking his Pepto Bismol and anti anxiety meds today. Those two, along with a few others, fill the giant Met Opera House in the Spring.

McKenzie should have no problem, since there really is no major conflict. The Royal Ballet schedule has only a few performances of a mixed bill during next year's ABT NY season, where Osipova does most of her ABT shows.

Well, it could mean that the Royal might give her "La Fille Mal Gardee", and then perhaps it might be able to transfer to the Met for a Summer run here. One can hope. ABT has a few others who could also do the role on Osipova's "night off"

Well, it could mean that the Royal might give her "La Fille Mal Gardee", and then perhaps it might be able to transfer to the Met for a Summer run here. One can hope. ABT has a few others who could also do the role on Osipova's "night off"

Lincoln Center Festival has hosted major international companies in previous summers (alas, not this year) and could plausibly sponsor a visit by Royal in future years. The issue will be the fine print in Osipova's non-compete clause with ABT. The Mikhailovsky wanted to play the State Theater during the final weeks of the ABT season in 2012. If Royal came in late July, would ABT permit her to perform with them? Stay tuned...

If I were Osipova and Vasiliev I would never again sign a contract with ABT with such a broad non compete clause. It is certainly fine for ABT to prohibit dancers from appearing with other companies in New York City during the ABT Met season. However, the current system of also prohibiting appearances during the several months preceeding and following the ABT Met season are unreasonably restrictive. Frankly,. I'm no expert in this particular legal field but I believe there is a very cogent argument that the ABT non compete is overly broad in its time period restriction, and unreasonably restricts the ability of dancers to earn a living in a major dance center (NYC) in the US. If McKenzie expects to be able to hire the world's top dancers, he needs to get real about this issue, fast.

Lincoln Center Festival has hosted major international companies in previous summers (alas, not this year) and could plausibly sponsor a visit by Royal in future years. The issue will be the fine print in Osipova's non-compete clause with ABT. The Mikhailovsky wanted to play the State Theater during the final weeks of the ABT season in 2012. If Royal came in late July, would ABT permit her to perform with them? Stay tuned...

As long as it wasn't overlapping, I don't see why not.

As the Royal isn't scheduled to come at the moment, and who knows what the future will bring, this is what I would consider borrowing trouble.

But I would note, that one of the past visitors to Lincoln Center was the Bolshoi when Ananiashvili was still dancing with them, and was with ABT.

She performed with the Bolshoi on that tour.

Encouraging news about Ananiashvili... McKenzie has to balance recruiting top talent for the Met season (as abatt noted) with the issue of NYC tourists attending Met performances. I don't know how much of the audience is from out-of-town, but I seem to meet a lot of people (like me) who plan a trip or two in the summer to take in as much as possible. If it's a choice between ABT in June and Royal in July...tough call. Then again, perhaps the out-of-towners are such a small part of the audience that it won't matter to ABT's ticket sales.

I recall reading an interview w. McKenzie in which he mentions that the non competes do not merely prohibit appearances that overlap with the Met season, but also extends for 3 months before and 3 months after the Met season. I'm not sure when the non competes at ABT came into existence. Of course, ABT could always agree to waive enforcement of the non compete, but that puts dancers at the benevolent whim of ABT management. Certain dancers like O/V have enough bargaining power to say I'm not signing any such contract. If you want me to dance with your company, remove the clause. This issue has become particularly relevant since the Koch is now free for rental for numerous weeks every year.

I recall reading an interview w. McKenzie in which he mentions that the non competes do not merely prohibit appearances that overlap with the Met season, but also extends for 3 months before and 3 months after the Met season. I'm not sure when the non competes at ABT came into existence. Of course, ABT could always agree to waive enforcement of the non compete, but that puts dancers at the benevolent whim of ABT management. Certain dancers like O/V have enough bargaining power to say I'm not signing any such contract. If you want me to dance with your company, remove the clause.

Ah that is good to know.

Quite frankly, given the Mik's recent problems and now dancing with both ABT and Royal, I'd be most nervous if I was them. I know it says she is staying there, but things can always change.

And lets not forget, for one of the foreign stars, she has been quite active with ABT, participating in tours, etc. which has not been the case with many (see for ex. Vishneva)

Encouraging news about Ananiashvili... McKenzie has to balance recruiting top talent for the Met season (as abatt noted) with the issue of NYC tourists attending Met performances. I don't know how much of the audience is from out-of-town, but I seem to meet a lot of people (like me) who plan a trip or two in the summer to take in as much as possible. If it's a choice between ABT in June and Royal in July...tough call. Then again, perhaps the out-of-towners are such a small part of the audience that it won't matter to ABT's ticket sales.

Given how infrequently the Royal has been coming to the US of late, I'm not sure they need the extra draw of Osipova on the tour to make it a selling point. It would be a must see event anyway. And since people in the vicinity can see Osipova with ABT any year now, I'd personally rather get a chance to see their other dancers (esp nunez, but even cojocaru, who, while dancing with ABT, does so much less).

I mean of course Osipova is a draw. But I think they would be a big draw no matter what. More so than the Mik (large russian pop. notwithstanding)

The biggest draw from the Royal Ballet now is Cojocaru (rightfully so). (For me, Yanowsky is the other.) If ABT wants to play the "Osipova can't guest in the RB tour" card, the Royal Ballet call play the "Then Cojocaru can't guest in ABT's Spring 2014 season" card, and that would help no one.

The interesting thing here is that for years Cojocaru and Rojo were competitors for first and second casts of various ballets. Once Rojo quit to go ENB, I figured Cojocaru had it made. But wait .... when one person steps out of the door, another steps through it.

bing translator results in the following:

Principal dancer, one of the world's best ballerina of the Mikhailovsky theatre troupes became after successful tours in London

Prima ballerina of the Mikhailovsky Theatre Natalia Osipova was also top of the Royal theatre of Great Britain. The Izvestia reported General Director Vladimir Putin being the mikhaylovsky theatre.

According to him, an official statement by the leadership of the Royal Ballet will make in the near future. The top-left Natalia Osipova, ballerina of Mikhailovsky and continue dancing on the stage of the previously declared repertoire.

Principal dancer, one of the world's finest troupes Natalia Osipova was successful in London after touring the Mikhailovsky Theatre, where he participated in performances of "Giselle," "Don Quixote", "the Actress".

Chief ballet-master of the Mikhailovsky Theatre Mikhail Messerer, whose last two Ballet productions, told Izvestia that the theatre is happy to delegate its ballerina at the Royal Ballet.

Such an invitation is not only empower the artist, but also increased the theatre's reputation, which he represents, "said Mikhail Messerer.

Natalia osipova, in 2003 she graduated from the Moscow Academy of choreography and was admitted to the Bolshoi Theatre. The 2011 year with her husband and partner, Ivan Vasiliev moved to St Michael 's. Speaking at the American Ballet Theater, La Scala Theatre, the Australian Ballet.

http://www.bing.com/translator/

also:

https://translate.go...a/?hl=en&tab=wT

If dropping in the website URL doesn't work, you can cut and paste the article's text.

The interesting thing here is that for years Cojocaru and Rojo were competitors for first and second casts of various ballets. Once Rojo quit to go ENB, I figured Cojocaru had it made. But wait .... when one person steps out of the door, another steps through it.

I never considered them competitors as the Rojo fan club was very small compared to the Cojocaru one. Personally it's Leanne Benjamin whose retirement saddens me, not the loss of the inconsistent Rojo.