This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Saturday, April 6

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,965 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

A review of the Mikhailovsky Ballet in 'Laurencia' by Luke Jennings in The Observer.

When Vasiliev and Osipova left the Bolshoi for the Mikhailovsky Ballet in 2011 there were raised eyebrows – had they sold out, lured by general director Vladimir Kekhman's seemingly bottomless pockets? – but two years later the pair's decision has been vindicated. Thanks to Messerer, the Mikhailovsky Theatre has a growing repertoire of the 19th-century and Soviet-era classics which suit the pair so well. Messerer's latest work, a revival of Vassily Vainonen's 1932 ballet The Flames of Paris, set during the French Revolution, is scheduled for July this year. No one thought, a decade ago, that such warhorse productions would ever have new life breathed into them. But then no one knew that Osipova and Vasiliev would come along and change all the rules. They know now.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,965 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

The Appalachian Ballet offers a mixed bill.

Some 60 dancers perform in “On the Edge.” The dances include a re-choreographed number by Amy Morton Vaughn based on the “Night on Bald Mountain” music from the Walt Disney 1940 animated classic “Fantasia.” Here, dancers are dressed as gargoyles. Another dance that has been performed before is the 2008 “Virulent” choreographed by Brittany Blum Vaughn.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,965 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

A review of Ballet West in 'Jewels' by Kathy Adams in The Salt Lake Tribune.

The middle section "Rubies" is a show-stopper. Again Balanchine showcases two ballerinas, but unlike "Emeralds," only one has a partner and the other is solo. Demi-solist Beckanne Sisk brings her extraordinary confidence and jaw-dropping performance quality to an already exciting part. Demi-solist Emily Adams is the more aloof of the two in her solo role, but takes command of the stage and of the five men who surround her.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,965 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:33 AM

Kingsport Ballet presents 'The Sleeping Beauty.'

“The Sleeping Beauty” was the first ballet to be staged by artistic director Valeria Sinyavskaya shortly after taking her post with Kingsport Ballet in 2002.

Sinyavskaya, who was a prima ballerina with the Novosibirsk Ballet and Opera in Russia, and who has comprehensive teaching and directing experience from around the world, came to East Tennessee from her post as master teacher with the International Ballet School in Tokyo, where she also staged “The Sleeping Beauty,” blending the work of professional performers and students from the school.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,965 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:36 AM

Unhappy "Midnight Express" ticket buyers may not get their money back.

Polunin’s fellow Russian ballet star and mentor, Igor Zelensky, also walked out leaving the show in turmoil and hundreds disappointed.

The Peter Schaufuss ballet, based on the 1978 Turkish prison drama, is still due to go ahead with 20-year-old understudy Johan Christensen taking the lead, but many people had only bought tickets to see the controversial Polunin.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,965 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

A review of the Mikhailovsky Ballet in "Laurencia" by Judith Cruikshank for danceviewtimes.

Messerer has deprived the heroine of the real donkey on which Maya Plisetskaya rode when she danced the title role, he has also simplified the action and cut some numbers, though this has the disadvantage of making parts of the action seem somewhat arbitrary. But what remains is a coherent story and a series of dazzling dances originally made to show off the talents of the Mariinsky’s dancers and the stunning virtuosity and temperament of the young Natalia Dudinskya and Chabukiani himself, widely reckoned to be one of the greatest dancers of the Soviet era, a claim backed up by snippets of him dancing both in ‘Laurencia’ and several other famous roles.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,965 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

A lawyer talks about returning to ballet classes as an adult and her recovery from cancer.

Ryder-Lewis also danced her way back to a happier, healthier place after having both breasts removed five years ago.

"My surgeon told me I might not get the range of motion back into my arms. But I'm a tough, ambitious person. I push myself and was determined to get back to dancing, so I patiently did the physio exercises and eventually got there."

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,965 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

The Australian Ballet promotes Ty King-Wall to principal.

King-Wall comes from a family more focused on sport than dance: his brother is a trampolining champion. He was encouraged to take ballet seriously after his mother took him to see the Royal New Zealand Ballet's Swan Lake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):