This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Swan Lake 2013Casting is up!

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

Casting has been posted

http://www.pnb.org/S...anLake/#Casting

Looks like I'm going to see Leslie Rausch's debut. I'm a fan, so quite excited!

Friday 4/12: Korbes / Cruz (a.k.a. Lac de Cisnes de Brasil y Cuba!)
Saturday 4/13 Matinee: Rausch / Bold (debut for Rausch)
Saturday 4/13 Evening: Nakamura / Orza (now there's a short / tall combination!)
Sunday 4/14 Matinee: Korbes / Cruz
Sunday 4/14 Evening: Chapman / Tisserand (debuts for both)

Other notes:
Louise Nadeau returns to the stage as the Queen Mother, and Josh Grant debuts as Baron von Rothbart, and on Sunday Otto Neubert debuts Rothbert as well (surprised he's never played this role before).

Thursday 4/18 Evening: Chapman / Tisserand
Friday 4/19 Evening: Imler / Herd (former PNB principal Casey Herd is guesting, he is currently principal at Dutch National Ballet)
Saturday 4/20 Matinee: Korbes / Cruz
Saturday 4/20 Evening: Rausch / Bold
Sunday 4/21 Matinee: Imler / Herd
Sunday 4/21 Evening: Nakamura / Orza

My Russian-Ukranian friend can only go on Sunday 4/14, so I am going to pick up tickets tomorrow. The question is this: should I get the Korbes / Cruz show or the Chapman / Tisserand debut??? I am leaning towards Chapman / Tisserand, because I have thought for a while that Maria would make a queenly O/O. Thoughts???

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

My thoughts are that PNB did *not* take me, me, me, me and only me into consideration when coming up with this schedule, and ir's going to be hard to lose even one of these casts.

I can't give you advice, because I want to see all of them equally. Although I'd have expected a Rausch/Tisserand pairing, since both of them are debuting in the roles, it's nice to see how Boal mixed it up. I think Chapman and Tisserand will look great together.

My programs aren't at reach, but I'm fairly sure Neubert has rocked the von Rothbart boots before.

#3 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

well you're no help. I do feel sorry for the corps of women: 11 shows over 10 days. Not so easy on their feet!

#4 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

I know. I could make a flowchart with pros and cons, but I'd end up ruing any recommendation, and I'm still tearing my hair out over missing Nakamura's Juliette (this run) because of scheduling.

Maybe one time or the other would be more practical or given her schedule she'd have more energy and focus for one or the other? The 1pm start time has put the kabosh on the reasonably early bus, but there's a trade-off in hopping off it and running to the theater when the curtain is 2pm.

#5 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:35 PM

Friday 4/12: Korbes / Cruz (a.k.a. Lac de Cisnes de Brasil y Cuba!)

She danced with Stanko Milov in 2009, the last time they did the ballet.

Saturday 4/13 Evening: Nakamura / Orza (now there's a short / tall combination!)

She danced with Wevers in 2003 when they debuted the production, and with Postelwaite in 2009. I can't find my notes from the 2007 performances.

Other notes:
Louise Nadeau returns to the stage as the Queen Mother, and Josh Grant debuts as Baron von Rothbart, and on Sunday Otto Neubert debuts Rothbert as well (surprised he's never played this role before).

The double asterisk in the listing means that he's performing as a guest artist -- not a member of the company. Neubert has played Von R since this production debuted.

The question is this: should I get the Korbes / Cruz show or the Chapman / Tisserand debut??? I am leaning towards Chapman / Tisserand, because I have thought for a while that Maria would make a queenly O/O. Thoughts???

A tough choice -- I'd probably go with the Chapman/Tisserand option, but only because I've seen Korbes O/O before (and thought she was astonishing) so I can afford to add to my collection.

#6 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

As a part of their 40th anniversary celebration, the company is inviting all and sundry to send video of their best "swan arms," to be included in a video montage. The explanation is here and some examples are here.

And here is an interview with Peter B about the production, and some archival footage from Stowell and Russell's staging in 1981 (including a look at Deborah Hadley).

#7 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

In 2007 Korbes danced with Casey Herd.

One of the highlights of this run will be the lecture/demo presented by Doug Fullington this Saturday, 6 April at 3pm. Edited: (although) It appears to be in McCaw Hall, since the website is showing the hall's seating chart and is resolving to "Dress" as the section, it's actually in the Phelps Center, per sandik's post below.) Here is the link for tickets, which are $20 + $3/order:

http://www.pnb.org/S...ve/?perf=13LD05

According to PNB's Facebook post, Doug will lead a discussion with Maria Chapman and Jerome Tisserand, who debut as Odette/Odile and Siegfried.

#8 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

Just read the email sent by PNB - they are offering 25% off the Sunday April 14 7:00pm show (Maria Chapman / Jerome Tisserand debut). Order online / call with the code "WING". So I guess that solves it for me! Fortunately I was too busy working to get my tickets ordered earlier this week. So my procrastination results in a 25% discount!

#9 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

I think that's going to be a stellar cast, too. It's a non-subscription performance, like second Saturday matinee and both Sunday evening performances, so you probably had a wider selection, too.

#10 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:16 PM

One of the highlights of this run will be the lecture/demo presented by Doug Fullington this Saturday, 6 April at 3pm. It appears to be in McCaw Hall, since the website is showing the hall's seating chart and is resolving to "Dress" as the section. Here is the link for tickets, which are $20 + $3/order:

http://www.pnb.org/S...ve/?perf=13LD05

I got a confirmation today for this event, and it's scheduled for The Phelps Center -- not sure why the website was leading people astray.

#11 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

Thank you, sandik! I've edited my post so that people don't have the wrong expectations. Usually the website says "General admission" for lec-demos.

#12 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

Second week full casts are up on the website as well. Not as many debuts as the first weekend, but Gaines does get his first Jester on Thursday and Thomson does his first Wolfgang the same night.

#13 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

I look forward to seeing what Thomson will do with Wolfgang. He's been doing more and more character roles, like Dr. Coppelius and Mercutio, and even his first forays into the roles have moments of keen insight and a very personal approach.

#14 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:12 AM

I thought Thomson's Mercutio had several excellent moments in it -- he brought a great energy to the part, and used it in some specific ways, rather than just raging all over everywhere. His Coppelius was slightly less specific, in my eyes.

This version of the tutor has the potential for some excellent characterization -- I'm curious to see both Gaines and Thomson in it.

#15 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:27 AM

I still remember the moment when Thomson's Dr. Coppelius came into his studio at the beginning of Act II, after he had just lost his key, been roughed up by Franz and gang, and found his studio door open -- just being the end of Act I -- and he sat at the end of the chair, diminished, a frightened, diminished man trying to gather himself. It was one of the most moving details in any portrayal of that character that I'd seen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):