This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Eleonora Abbagnato Named Etoile!

She was named this evening after a performance of Petit's Carmen.

Congratulations to her!

Abbagnato can give great performances ... when she dances. She has not been very present in the company recently (even before she went on maternity leave), and lately she has mostly danced in mixed bills.

The administration is certainly clearing the first soloist ranks, and blurring the traditional distinction between first soloists and etoiles.

There's hope for Thibault yet!

I don't know what you are refering to cinnamonswirl. innocent.gif Anyway, Eleonora Abbagnato is a wonderful artist. She has been rumoured to be promoted numerous times and it didn't happen. She took some time of the company. It proved to be a good idea...

Congratulations to her...tiphat.gif

Silvermash (or anyone else who knows the answer!), do you remember what Abbagnato's last full-length ballet was? I've been in Paris about five years now and I can't remember one, but I think I must be forgetting one because surely they wouldn't promote a dancer who hasn't danced a full-length classic recently. (Or would they?)

There's hope for Thibault yet!

I believe he is 39 this year, which means that he will be forced to retire in 2014. Many people think he is deserving of the rank of etoile, both in Paris and beyond. Perhaps Benjamin Millipied will reconsider Thibault's status and get his new position off to a flying start by righting an almighty wrong.

Silvermash (or anyone else who knows the answer!), do you remember what Abbagnato's last full-length ballet was? I've been in Paris about five years now and I can't remember one, but I think I must be forgetting one because surely they wouldn't promote a dancer who hasn't danced a full-length classic recently. (Or would they?)

Why not? There is only a couple of classical ballets per season with few casts...

However, she danced most of classical roles when she was younger (Odette/Odile, Kitri, Gamzatti, Myrtha, Clara, Cinderella...) and many other title roles in neo-classical ballets, that's why she has been many times rumoured to be promoted. She's has been filmed quite a few time which is rare for a Première danseuse. Then she took more or less two years off... in two times.

She danced and has been filmed in Caligula (but not on pointe) when she returned from her second leave of absence in 2011. And before her first leave, I think that was Children of the paradise in 2008.

Have a look on her bio, it's impressive if you compare with some other Etoiles. She was cast as an Etoile in any case...

Ok, Caligua was what I was forgetting. I didn't see the first run of Les Enfants du paradis.

Right, she was cast as an etoile in full lengths, and then lately she's been cast more as a premiere. It's late in the game. That's why I think this promotion is interesting. Everyone else who has been promoted lately has been cast as a etoile before their promotion. I wonder if she is going to (choose to) dance more now that she is an etoile.

I think even recently when she was not doing full length, she was cast as an Etoile. She's very good in contemporary, she has a vast range of possibilities...

casting is not a matter of choice for the dancers in POB, even for the Etoiles! She will be able to refuse I guess but that's the only privilege they are granted once they fulfill the number of shows due per season...

Next season is favorable to her style I think