This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Opening of new Mariinsky II Opera House in St. PetersburgMay 2-4, 2013

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#91 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:49 AM

Did anyone see Tereshkina? I thought I saw her in Rite (modern side) but I could be wrong.

Tereshkina gave birth on April 23, so she couldn't possibly be performing yet.

#92 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:37 AM

Tereshkina gave birth on April 23, so she couldn't possibly be performing yet.

An auspicious day: Shakespeare's birthday.

#93 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:42 AM

Somova's is also out on maternity leave, right? Did she have her baby yet?

#94 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,476 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

We're still waiting for official news of several expected children --Somova's, Matvienko's, and Selina's, as well as Press' and Borchenko's from the Mikhailovsky. Tereshkina's has been confirmed officially.

#95 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

Yelizaveta Matvienko was born at the end of January. I think we had a thread on the birth. This Ukrainian TV spot is pretty detailed: Anastasia gained 17 kg while pregnant, labor lasted 6 hours, Mom is breast feeding, and Dad reports that the little girl is blond and (not surprisingly) long-limbed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaduLIHd1S0

http://www.ukrinform...a_donka_1791218

#96 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,476 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

Excellent news! Congratulations to the Matvienkos :flowers:

#97 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

It seems like they did play the complete 'Kingdom of the Shades' music, but for some reason they decided to just continue the choreography from the beginning of the piece over the whole music. I really wonder why, I love the Shades the way they are, this got a little boring towards the end..

#98 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,476 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

Yelizaveta Matvienko was born at the end of January. I think we had a thread on the birth.

Yes, we did:

http://balletalert.i...__fromsearch__1

and I even congratulated them there, too. I think this is what baseball players would call "vapor lock."Posted Image

#99 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:35 AM

My congratulations also to all the new parents and children.

Thanks a lot volcanohunter for your detailed listing. For those wanting to use this as a guide for watching the video that is still online the timing has changed somewhat. Subtract about 30 minutes (27 is more exact) from what volcanohunter has posted on page 6.

[font=Helvetica][size=4]http://liveweb.arte....nt_Petersbourg/[/size][/font]

(For example Ekaterina Kondaurova's Brilliant "The Swan" is now at 57:40 instead of 1:24:20.)

Also if you stop the video and can't get it started again click the "Reprendre La Lecture" box.

I haven't noticed it posted yet but Viktor Baranov was Ulyana Lopatkina's very fine partner (according to Moscow Times article).

Back to the building for the moment. Parts of the outside appearance may continue to be a subject of scrutiny but the inside, so far, seems to be a resounding success from all the press reports that I've read. I'll be glad to post the sources somewhere if anyone wants me to.

[Here are some of them anyway. Thanks to the forums where I found these.]

[font=Helvetica][size=3]http://www.telegraph...mless-gala.html[/size][/font]
http://artsbeat.blog...gala/?ref=dance
[font=Helvetica][size=3]http://www.themoscow...ers/479541.html[/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=4]And: Lots of credit to Oxana Skorik and all for hanging in there with what seemed to me to be a speed of light orchestra finale to Diamonds.[/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=4]Added comment:[/size][/font]

I'm about halfway through just listening to the 'soundtrack' (no video) and its absolutely beautiful !

[typo correction made and thank you, Helene, for adding the time notations]

#100 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

The performance did begin about a half hour late after people had finally seated themselves and Putin gave his speech. The new version includes the part of "Diamonds" that disappeared during the original stream. Sadly, there's not much of it. I'm disappointed they chose not to show the complete last movement. (I can't imagine Gergiev saying to one of his singers, "Just skip ahead to the cabaletta.") The dancers begin with the great unison promenade toward the end. It's probably my favorite moment in all ballet, but it doesn't mean much without the preceding swirling counterpoint. Ultimately Shklyarov wasn't given much to do (an entrechat-six, some temps levés, a bit of partnering). That's a bit of a waste.

The moving stage was overused in the end. Better to do things the old-fashioned way by bringing down the curtain instead of watching a lot of dancers standing in formation and waiting for the massive contraption to reach its destination.

#101 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:02 AM

The recent RT documentary (Ballet, Sweat and Tears) visited the family of Diana Vishneva's coach, Ludmilla Kovaleva, in which viewers saw Kovaleva's daughter, MT corps de ballet artist Alisa Sokolova, with her new baby. So congrats to Alisa Sokolova! (So that's why we have not seen Sokolova on stage for a while.)

#102 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:11 AM

Thanks to all who identified the correct dancers/singers/others. I've now seen the 'replay' on the ARTE web, incuding Skorik and Schklyarov in the Diamonds excerpt that was cut from the live transmission. I must admit a new-found admiration for Oksana Skorik. So gorgeous; Balanchine would have loved her! (Skorik and Askerov are also seen rehearsing a bit of the Diamonds PDD in the recent RT documentary. Also lovely.)

#103 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,476 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:03 AM

Congratulations to Alisa Sokolova :flowers:

#104 angelica

angelica

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

Thanks to all who identified the correct dancers/singers/others. I've now seen the 'replay' on the ARTE web, incuding Skorik and Schklyarov in the Diamonds excerpt that was cut from the live transmission. I must admit a new-found admiration for Oksana Skorik. So gorgeous; Balanchine would have loved her! (Skorik and Askerov are also seen rehearsing a bit of the Diamonds PDD in the recent RT documentary. Also lovely.)

That's really interesting about Oksana Skorik. I believe that she has mostly been excoriated in another thread on this list. I have never seen her live, only a few clips on YouTube.

#105 fififi

fififi

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

Have you seen Skorik's Kitri debut recently? She was truely awful with no musicality, no gracefulness, no expressing upper body, no acting skills, etc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):