This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Opening of new Mariinsky II Opera House in St. PetersburgMay 2-4, 2013

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#46 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:57 AM

Here are some more places to try on the internet for today's gala if they haven't already been mentioned.

Mezzo[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] et [/size][/font]Mezzo Live HD[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] (Noon US east coast) [/size][/font]
Perviy Kanal[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] (Russian) [/size][/font]
Arte Live Web[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] [/size][/font]
Mariinsky TV[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] and [/size][/font]Mariinsky FM[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] [/size][/font]

Thank you, Buddy. Posted Image

#47 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:15 AM

You're very welcome, Natalia !

Olga Esina, Vaganova graduate, now at the Vienna Staatsballett, has been added to the list. Her Swan Lake performance at this year's Mariinsky Festival was one of the Absolute Highlights ! She's Great !

http://www.mariinsky...013/5/2/3_2000/

(thanks again to the french language forum for posting this site)

#48 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:20 AM

I agree about Esina. She's a true Russian beauty!

I found an online version of the 3-minute preview report that is currently airing on RT (the one with the Shades dress rehearsal):

http://rt.com/news/m...-new-stage-630/

#49 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:07 AM

I agree about Esina. She's a true Russian beauty!

I found an online version of the 3-minute preview report that is currently airing on RT (the one with the Shades dress rehearsal):

http://rt.com/news/m...-new-stage-630/

Thanks, Natalia!! Please keep the RT and other reports coming in. It looks like things are off to a good start.

Last night's performance (shown in Natalia's post) was actually a pre-official opening, full performance for veterans and Mariinsky personnel.

#50 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:28 AM

Ladies and gentlemen,
The live broadcast already noted by Buddy from the Mariinsky TV link (here: http://mariinsky.tv/n/ ) starts in just about 90 minutes. Today I went on the press preview tour of the new building - secret service with squiggly ear pieces abound all over theatre square and all parking lots have been cleared of cars with DPS cars parked to prevent any incomers from entering. The distinguished guest will be ushered in through the VIP entrance .. security is very very high.

As for the theatre, I have never seen anything so huge or spacious inside. The sight lines are very good for every seat in the house, and that was one of Gergiev's main concerns -- namely that the sight and acoustics for each patron are the same, and that just bc you're in the last row or in a cheaper seat will not mean you have less of the theatre experience. (summarizing his words from the press talk today).

I will add that many employees from the Jack Diamond firm are here on site and five of them gave tours this morning. I asked our guide directly about the studios in the theatre. "Well there are seven and they have the ability to adjust the sound..." I had to stop him. "I mean for the ballet, there are only two, correct?" Yes, one large one and then one small in the basement."

Confirmed.

That said, the space on the SIDE of the wings is like a huge warehouse. It must be five (?) stories tall or more. It is vast. The current wingspace in the old MT is maybe....20 feet deep? Max? Probably less than that. 15 feet I think. This is the same width as the stage itself so what you see looking at the stage, that same amount of space extends to the right of the stage and the left. if they 1) wanted to 2) were persuaded to and/or 3) had money to, they could easily use this space for rehearsals by installing mirrors on the east and west walls and somehow cordoning it off... although noise from on-stage set shifts would disrupt the rehearsal process.

Happy to answer any inquiries if anyone has specific questions (given what limited parts of the new theatre I've seen so far).

#51 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:18 AM

That said, the space on the SIDE of the wings is like a huge warehouse. It must be five (?) stories tall or more. It is vast. The current wingspace in the old MT is maybe....20 feet deep? Max? Probably less than that. 15 feet I think. This is the same width as the stage itself so what you see looking at the stage, that same amount of space extends to the right of the stage and the left. if they 1) wanted to 2) were persuaded to and/or 3) had money to, they could easily use this space for rehearsals by installing mirrors on the east and west walls and somehow cordoning it off... although noise from on-stage set shifts would disrupt the rehearsal process.

Happy to answer any inquiries if anyone has specific questions (given what limited parts of the new theatre I've seen so far).

Very interesting idea. Thanks, Catherine.

Do you know anything yet about new dressing room space etc. for the ballet dancers in particular ?

Have a great time !

#52 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:37 AM

Thanks, Catherine. RT television has been doing live reports in the hours leading to the opening...just 30 minutes to go. Their reporter interviewed the architect, Mr. Diamond, a few moments ago. In answer to a query about the loud criticism about his design, he said, with a smile, "...St. Isaac's Cathedral was widely criticized when it opened and Tchaikovsky's First Piano Concerto was ridiculed at first, so it seems that I'm in good company." Plisetskaya and Schedrin were also shown, with Maya praising everything about the new building.

Today is also Gergiev's 60th birthday and the 25th anniversary of his work at the Kirov-Mariinsky.

Catherine, they've been showing & talking a lot about the Onyx Wall in the lobby. Is it impressive in person?

#53 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

The live transmission just started on ARTE. So why is the auditorium only half full and most of the attendees just milling about? Ah, waiting for Mr. Putin? Musicians in pit llooking around...harpist lady yawns. People slowly going to their seats in Orchestra (Stalls) 10 minutes after the event was to have started.

Now showing sign: 'Le spectacle demarre dans quelques instants." Sleeping Beauty Panorama music in the background.. After music, no sond - no emcee. Just waiting for Putin & Gergiev....

The auditorium looks stunning. The old blue/gold curtain is here - a duplicate of the one in the old building?

#54 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

Off and running. Putin speaking.

#55 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

The live transmission just started on ARTE.

I am on that site and it says it starts in 90 minutes. I've tried reloading, starting over with the link for ARTE, etc. and get the same thing. Are others in the U.S. getting the live transmission? Is there another link you're using?

#56 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

The live transmission just started on ARTE.

I am on that site and it says it starts in 90 minutes. I've tried reloading, starting over with the link for ARTE, etc. and get the same thing. Are others in the U.S. getting the live transmission? Is there another link you're using?

This one works.

#57 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

This is working pefectly for me...live in Washington, DC:

http://liveweb.arte....nt_Petersbourg/

After Shades, the kids chorus sang Ave Maria. They're now into the 3rd number - a Rossini aria La Tempesta for baritone (I think). Followed by solo pianist playing Figaro aria, as kids and Shades stand in boxes looking on. (?)

#58 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

Catherine, they've been showing & talking a lot about the Onyx Wall in the lobby. Is it impressive in person?

It is nice to look at. I think nicer when you imagine how much it cost, but if no one told me it was onyx, I might just think it was cloudy yellow glass backlit... so I suppose it depends on taste. The color is nice because it gives a warm glow. One architect was explaining they have the ability to light only the "recesses" (the scalloped edges that cut inwards) to save money if need be...

Buddy, as for dressing room space, I am told that at least for this performance there were 6 people per seat. (not per room, per seat) But that could be due to the overlap of opera and ballet in one evening. Let's hope.

#59 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

Thanks, Catherine.

Adding running commentary here/updating as we go, rather than posting a gazillion times:

After the segment from Boris Godunov, we now have a solo violinist playing the lovely Entr'acte from Sleeping Beauty...so maybe there may be more ballet? YES - Lopatkina in Neumeier's Nutcracker segment (Pavlova & Ceccheti)...with exquisite huge overhead tilted mirror. Wow.

Next, Vaganova Academy kids perform a segment of Lander's Etudes. Then impressive movement of the stage floor - kids move off and adults move in, as stage shifts. Leaping finale of Etudes. Kolegova is the star ballerina here...I think it is she. WOW, Kim Kimin - extraordinary! Not sure who is the 2nd guy but he is good, too...doesn't look like Schklyarov.

As Etudes corps rolls off, Carmen opera singer and a small orchestra roll in. (She sounds really off pitch but it may be the transmission.)

Now comes a balletic Carmen. Vishneva! Did she alter the choreography a bit? Doen't matter; she's lovely...if nore Vishneva-Diva than Carmen. Lots of looking at the cameras, IMO. Followed by a male aria...then Dying Swan by Kondaurova - brava!

A basso soloist & male chorus sing the Volga Boatman's Song...followed by Sacre du Printemps music - orchestra's moment. (Time for a quick fridge break!) Just back as the Sacre dancers roll in. Posted Image Hey, it's TWO Sacres danced side by side - modern on the left & the Hodson-after-Nijinsky recon on the right.

Faust aria 'Golden Calf' next by a magnificent basso, with male chorus. Spine tingling.

Next, a bel cantoesque opera number, set in St Petersburg in late 1800s, with antique autos. Rossini? Donizetti? Very cute as a 'panorama' of St Petersburg streets rolls behind them.

Mon Coeur Souvre a ta Voix mezzo aria from Samson et Dalilah. Borodina? Whoever - fabulous! Biggest ovation of the night so far, it seems. Even the orchestra members are bravoing.

Next, lovely Olga Yesina and Alexander Sergeev in a romantic contemporary pdd, with huge full moon behind. Followed by Placido Domingo in Wagner aria.

The ARTE transmission ends just as Domingo ends his aria...so hopefully someone else can post the remainder of the program. I thoroughly enjoyed what I saw, especially the ballet parts.

#60 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

For those who know the Balanchine "Nutcracker", Balanchine used the Entr'acte solo for the scene following the party, where Marie comes downstairs, she falls asleep on the couch, and Drosselmeier casts his spell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):