Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty Fall Engagement at City Center

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 cantdance

cantdance

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:23 AM

The Kennedy Center website has the MB SB listed on the ballet web page and also on the contemporary web page, while a company like Alvin Ailey is only listed on the contemporary web page.  

My friend went to their master class yesterday and learned some of the choreo from the final ensemble dance.  He said it was like "Lots of theatrical attitude, plus a little jazz, a little Travolta...and a hint of the Pony."  I was hoping to also take the class but was busy with our local Nutcracker.  I will see the performance later today.

#32 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:03 AM

Here's an ironic tidbit: the name of the town that Matthew Bourne grew up in is Hackney.

#33 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:31 AM

Here's an ironic tidbit: the name of the town that Matthew Bourne grew up in is Hackney.

That would be a borough in London.

#34 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:13 PM

Given that with the various discounts the cost of tickets for 2 shows was about the same as the face-value of an orchestra seat for one show, I went back again to try to find what I am missing. I still don't get it. If anything, I was less impressed the second time around. I didn't see any real pas de deux between Aurora and Leo; Aurora danced a little and then jumped into Leo's arms and he carried her around for a bit. And I became more suspicious of the similarities between the last act of MBSB and the last act of Michael Pink's Dracula.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):