This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty Fall Engagement at City Center

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

New York City Center will present the New York premiere of Matthew Bourne’s acclaimed Sleeping Beauty Oct. 23-Nov. 3 at City Center; tickets will go on sale on March 25.

For more info:
http://www.playbill....-at-City-Center

#2 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

Field trip!

You don't suppose it will tour elsewhere?

#3 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

Field trip!

You don't suppose it will tour elsewhere?

I expect it may well do! Surely once they get it across the pond it's easier to visit a few other North American venues.
I'm keeping an eye on various venue websites as well as Matthew Bourne's.

#4 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

Great! ABT fall season at State Theater begins Oct 30, so I'll get ticket during the first week of the run.

#5 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:07 AM

and yes, Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty is also coming to Los Angeles!

http://www.centerthe...leeping-Beauty/

November 21th to December 1st Ahmason Theatre at the Music Centre

#6 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

and yes, Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty is also coming to Los Angeles!

http://www.centerthe...leeping-Beauty/

November 21th to December 1st Ahmason Theatre at the Music Centre

My time zone!

#7 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

For anyone who saw this in London, was there only one lead cast or did they alternate casts? Thanks.

#8 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

I believe there are 2 casts. That may well have been expanded by now as the Company has been touring extensively in the UK since last Autumn.

#9 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:23 PM

I was also thinking of seeing "Sleeping Beauty" at City Center, although I have not enjoyed Matthew Bourne's choreography in the past.  Does anyone recommend it?  

I saw it last night and, even though I have always been curious about what Bourne does, I was mostly disappointed. If you never liked Bourne's ballets, I'd say, skip this one.

I saw the Bourne SB tonight.  I found the production entertaining, but did not find the dancing attractive or interesting.  It reminded me of teenage amateur modern dance recitals.  I have little experience with contemporary ballet or modern dance.  Is the dancing in SB representative of contemporary ballet or modern dance in content, style, or quality?  Based on tonight's SB, I wonder whether contemporary dancers ever straighten a knee, finger, or elbow, point a foot, lift a leg to 90 degrees in arabesque, achieve any elevation in a jump, or turn with a leg more than slightly lifted off the floor.  I feel like I am missing something. 

#10 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:40 AM

I agree w. you puppytreats.  I've enjoyed Bourne's other works (SL, Play without Words), but this SB was a dud as far as the choreography. 

#11 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,474 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

Tobi Tobias gave it a very positive review, but more importantly, gave a detailed description that included many vivid and evocative photos:

http://www.artsjourn...ething-new.html

It sounds like the production values were great, and you can get a glimpse of what it looked like, which may be enough.

#12 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

I have little experience with contemporary ballet or modern dance.  Is the dancing in SB representative of contemporary ballet or modern dance in content, style, or quality?  Based on tonight's SB, I wonder whether contemporary dancers ever straighten a knee, finger, or elbow, point a foot, lift a leg to 90 degrees in arabesque, achieve any elevation in a jump, or turn with a leg more than slightly lifted off the floor.  I feel like I am missing something. 

The short answer to your question is "yes, they do," but that's not really the issue here.  For all that he often draws from ballet for the dramatic heart of his works, Bourne doesn't make ballets.  Remember all the trouble some audiences had with his Swan Lake -- the more closely they compared it to the ballet of the same name, the more confused they became.  My colleagues have been encouraged by their publications to come up with some kind of category to put Bourne's work in ("dansicle" still gives me the giggles) but for me, the noun is less important that looking at how he uses movement in general to create characters and tell their stories.

I haven't yet seen this production and so am not claiming anything about it in particular -- most of the reviews I've read with descriptive information (like T Tobias') are pretty positive, but as the young people say, your mileage may vary.  You certainly don't have to like it -- I just hope that you aren't upset with it because you think it's a bad ballet, since it's not a ballet at all.

#13 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

The Kennedy Center has offered a discount on tickets for (apparently) all the remaining performances (11/13-17). Any remaining seat in the orchestra can be had for $49 (there are a fewer cheaper seats in the top tier for some of the weeknight performances), except for the Friday matinee where orchestra seats will only cost $29. The secret code, which you didn't hear from me ;), is one-six-six-eight-six-two.

#14 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

I received an e-mail with that Kennedy Center discount, so word is out there pretty widely. I saw this in New York and loved it. If you expect just another variation on the classic ballet, you'll be disappointed. But if you approach it as a theatrical work, with plenty of surprises, laughs, and lavish sets and costumes, it's great fun.

#15 lmspear

lmspear

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:33 AM

Another email offer: 

The Kennedy Center is offering a special discount offer for $25 orchestra seats for Matthew Bourne’s Sleeping Beauty performances on Wednesday, November 13 at 7:30 p.m., and Friday matinee, November 15 at 1:30 p.m. 

You can click the link below and your discount will appear automatically. If you call or stop by the Box Office for the discount, be sure to mention Offer Number "166787

http://tinyurl.com/lmbyldb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):