• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#46 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

Maybe this has been mentioned before, but I notice the Royal Ballet's cinema offerings are now presented by Fathom Events which does the Met's operas. That must be why they are now at different movie theatres than the Bolshoi's.......

Emerging Pictures dropped the Royal Ballet this year due to the fact that they "had to" to choose between the Bolshoi and the Royal: they chose the Bolshoi. I'm happy that Fathom picked up the Royal as I really want to see their new DQ and a Winter's Tale later next year.

#47 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

Maybe this has been mentioned before, but I notice the Royal Ballet's cinema offerings are now presented by Fathom Events which does the Met's operas. That must be why they are now at different movie theatres than the Bolshoi's.......

Emerging Pictures dropped the Royal Ballet this year due to the fact that they "had to" to choose between the Bolshoi and the Royal: they chose the Bolshoi. I'm happy that Fathom picked up the Royal as I really want to see their new DQ and a Winter's Tale later next year.

The Royal Ballet's DQ plays this Wednesday according to Fathom Events. 

#48 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

It's at the Thornton Creek Cinema in Seattle.  They're scheduled to show Alice and Nut as well, but don't know anything about programs past December.  Fingers crossed.

#49 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:07 AM

Great to see the Royal Ballet fight for the American market, even if this particular avenue is closed to the opera company. But it sure hasn't been easy. This will be their third distributor in the U.S.

By way of a P.S. The ROH has found an alternate distributor for its opera productions in the U.S. The participating cinemas are not distributed all that evenly throughout the country, and all of the offerings will be pre-recorded.

http://www.screenvis...ema-events/roh/

#50 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

Here in Florida the DQ was played as one of the Fathom Events (same as the Met operas), and as a result there was a better than average turn out for the show for such a small city as Gainesville. I think there were about 30 people. It is a university town, so that could also be why. Most of the previous ballets were by Emerging Pictures and it was in Jacksonville (a much larger city) and often just 5-10 people.

#51 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

The Bolshoi Theater's calendar now indicates that Marco Spada will be performed on March 30 instead of The Golden Age. Presumably, the live cinema broadcast will be changed accordingly.

#52 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

I saw the Wheeldon Alice in Seattle last night -- there were about 20 of us in the theater, and I overheard one woman say to another that "they don't do any marketing at all."  Which appeared to be true.

#53 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

No, dammit, they don't. When I attended my first live opera of the season, an ad for the Met's HD screenings was included in the playbill. The same movie chain did not see fit to advertise its ballet screenings in the playbill of the local ballet company.

For what it's worth, last week's screening of the Royal Shakespeare Company's Richard II was no better attended than most of the ballet screenings. Evidently, David Tennant wasn't given any marketing either.

#54 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

I saw the Wheeldon Alice in Seattle last night -- there were about 20 of us in the theater, and I overheard one woman say to another that "they don't do any marketing at all."  Which appeared to be true.

It turned out to be a bad day for me to go off to the theatre so I missed out. I hope you found the perfromance to be entertaining.

There was definitely not a word of marketing around this event in Southern California.

#55 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

I agree the ballet offerings don't get as much pr as the opera ones. I hate to admit it, but opera does seem to have more fans than ballet. And I love opera, too, but I think it has something to do with the "story." People feel they can follow the "story" in an opera and they are afraid they won't be able to follow the "story" of the ballet. Other factors could be location. When I see the National Theatre Live in Hartford, there's about 20 people. When I go in Amherst, it sells out. Amherst is a very intellectual town. In Hartford, it is also shown at a university. It just doesn't seem to get noticed.

#56 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,125 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

I've only seen one Ballet BC performance since these HD screenings started, and I don't know if there are any program ads, but Scotiabank Theatre in Vancouver usually has someone announce upcoming non-opera arts events -- Ballet in Cinema and theater from the UK -- before the HD showings. (Someone from Vancouver Opera also speaks if there's an upcoming production.) There used to be posters in the hallway on the way to the theater -- there may still be some near the upstairs overflow theater -- but the main theater entrance next to the coffee/yogurt place is hard to find and doesn't have posters around it.

#57 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

For what it's worth, last week's screening of the Royal Shakespeare Company's Richard II was no better attended than most of the ballet screenings. Evidently, David Tennant wasn't given any marketing either.

Off topic, but was Tennant's Richard II worth seeing?  I'm debating whether to attend the upcoming screenings in New York during December.  I just saw Ben Whishaw's performance of the role in The Hollow Crown series, so I'm considering passing on Tennant's performance. Thanks.

#58 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

off%20topic.gif I think so, even though I found Whishaw more compelling. The screening came across as a peculiar sort of hybrid; it certainly didn't feel like watching a play live, with all those giant close-ups on the screen and actors' voices caught through body microphones rather than reverberating through space, but it was nothing like a cinematic adaptation. The production itself was beautiful, though probably more beautiful in three dimensions (I suspect in the same way that Rouben Ter-Arutunian's Nutcracker sets look very different on film), and the performances were uniformly strong. I was glad for the opportunity to compare the two versions.

http://www.independe...on-8887542.html

#59 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:02 AM

It turned out to be a bad day for me to go off to the theatre so I missed out. I hope you found the perfromance to be entertaining.

There was definitely not a word of marketing around this event in Southern California.

I did enjoy the program, and I hadn't necessarily expected to.  I have a feeling that this is a very different ballet in the theater -- some of the special effects (up and down the rabbit hole, wall full of doors) seemed to get a kind of 3D treatment (not real 3D, but they fill the screen in a way that the other material does not).  But a few of the effects were quite charming -- I'm a sucker for the old-fashioned stuff like fake waves in the ocean.  I thought a lot about Alastair Macaulay's comments on Wheeldon's duets (that they didn't give the woman much breathing space) and I think I could see what triggers that response.  But actually, I thought they really reflected the Ashton influence, especially in the way they changed direction through the center of the body rather than following a limb on a outward arc.

The performances were universally very good, but Steven McRae as the Hatter and Zenaida Yanowsky as the Red Queen were extra special.  They ran a couple of explainers during the intervals -- Wheeldon and Yanowsky talking about the Tart Adagio (which sends up the Rose Adagio), Joby Talbot talking about his score, Eric Underwood talking about his solo as the Caterpillar. 

#60 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

I don't know if this was linked before. While not about the ballet broadcasts, these are the results of research into those attending the Met Live in HD shows. It gives a bit of insight into those attending cultural showings at local movie theaters.

http://www.operaamer... HD Article.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):