• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#16 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

Technically, it can't be called a stranglehold yet. This would be Zakharova's fourth appearance out of 16 broadcasts, the fifth if you add the Bolshoi re-opening gala. Maria Alexandrova and Nina Kaptsova have had more broadcasts.

That Zakharova's broadcasts tend to be fast-tracked for DVD release while more interesting performances are left waiting is another matter.

#17 tamicute

tamicute

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

Technically, it can't be called a stranglehold yet. This would be Zakharova's fourth appearance out of 16 broadcasts, the fifth if you add the Bolshoi re-opening gala. Maria Alexandrova and Nina Kaptsova have had more broadcasts.

That Zakharova's broadcasts tend to be fast-tracked for DVD release while more interesting performances are left waiting is another matter.

Maybe you can help me sort out the Bolshoi offerings.

I  am unaware of much for Kaptsova

Here is my list (not in chronological order)

1. Flames of Paria - Osipova

2. Nutcracker - Kaptsova

3. Giselle, class Concert - Lunkina

4. Coppelia - Osipova

5. Don Quixote - Osipova

6. Esmeralda - Alexandrova

7. Swan Lake - Alexandrova

8. Raymonda - Alexandrova

9. Bayadere - Zakharova

10. Sleeping Beauty - Zakharova

11. Bright Stream - Lunkina, Alexandrova (only ballet on list which I feel 2 ballerinas can be counted as stars)

12. La sylphide - Krysanova

13. Corsaire - Lunkina

14. Pharaoh's Daughter - Zakharova

15. Romeo & Juliet - Nikulina

Based on this list, here is the order of performances

4 - Alexandrova

3 - Osipova, Zakharova, Lunkina

2 - none

1 - Kaptsova, Krysanova, Nikulina

This adds up to 16 out of 15 offerings, since Bright Stream has 2 ballerinas

Osipova was running away from everyone before she departed, with possibly 3 of the first 5 or 6 offerings.

#18 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:56 AM

Alexandrova was also Gamzatti, and both she and Kaptsova were among the soloists in Class Concert. Many of Kaptsova's broadcasts were as secondary heroines. That's a reflection of her repertoire: Adeline, Florine, Gulnare, Ramze. But those parts are not unimportant, just as Maria Allash's appearances as Myrtha and the Lilac Fairy have to be counted, and Ekaterina Krysanova's Fleur-de-Lys. If anyone is underrepresented it's Shipulina. I would like to see her Aegina.

#19 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

I emailed Ballet in Cinema today about the fact that they have appeared to drop the Royal Ballet broadcasts from their lineup for the 13/14 season. Apparently they needed to pick between broadcasting one company exclusively for the year (not sure what prompted this--the companies or Ballet in Cinema themselves) and chose the Bolshoi. So unfortunately, any one in America who receives their cinema screenings through Emerging Pictures/Ballet in Cinema are out of luck for the (more interesting, in my opinion) Royal Ballet line-up this year.

I will say that I appreciate that they responded very quickly to my email.

#20 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

I'm sorry to hear about this policy (although am impressed with their response)

#21 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

Apparently they needed to pick between broadcasting one company exclusively for the year (not sure what prompted this--the companies or Ballet in Cinema themselves) and chose the Bolshoi.

Since Canadian Cineplex shows both, it wouldn't appear to be a demand made by the ballet companies.

#22 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:44 PM

Apparently they needed to pick between broadcasting one company exclusively for the year (not sure what prompted this--the companies or Ballet in Cinema themselves) and chose the Bolshoi.

Since Canadian Cineplex shows both, it wouldn't appear to be a demand made by the ballet companies.

Yes, I saw that and thought the same. With these complicated contracts, who knows honestly?

I would suggest (if anyone has the urge) taking the time to contact them via their Contact page on the website. A company that still personally answers those form submissions may inclined to be more swayed by a group request.

#23 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:07 AM

I hope this isn't because the Bolshoi issued an ultimatum that it had to have exclusivity for ballet film screenings.  Why are people so afraid of competition?  There is enough demand in the marketplace so that people will go to see both the Bolshoi and the RB. 

By the way, for those who want to see the Royal Opera House opera in cinema in New York, Symphony Space on the Upper West Side, through a partnership with WQXR,  will be showing these productions.  (Nothing listed for the RB screenings, though) .  You may recall that Peter Gelb prohibits any movie chain carrying the Met Live In HD shows from showing the Royal Opera House opera in cinema offerings.

#24 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

I would have thought that if it were a matter of choosing only one company, the ROH would be a more obvious fit for Emerging PIctures because its ballets and operas could be bundled together. But if the company's client cinemas find that the demand for ballet is insufficient to warrant 10 or 11 performances, it may have come down to looking at box office returns. If the Bolshoi has drawn more viewers than the RB in the past, a company trying to make a profit would make its choice accordingly.

It's a shame. I suppose those living close enough to the norther border could cross over for screenings, but it's hardly a practical solution.
http://www.cineplex....ngTheatres.aspx

#25 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

I'd rather see the Royal Ballet. I'd like to see Het Nationale and Paris Opera as well. Royal Danish and National Ballet of Canada. I'm less interested in the Bolshoi offerings.

#26 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:13 AM

And yet if American ballet fans don't attend the Bolshoi screenings en masse the likelihood of getting the Royal or POB are extremely slim. I can't see the distributors expanding their offerings unless large audiences lead them to believe that the market has potential.

In Canada the experiment began with the Bolshoi, and initially I was also sorry it wasn't a different company. As it happens, I subsequently changed my mind and came to love the Bolshoi broadcasts. Of course I was only too happy to see the series expand to the Royal Ballet as well, but I doubt this would have happened if the Bolshoi had flopped. Not that I'm unsympathetic to your position. Now that the Bolshoi has run out of 19th-century repertoire and is avoiding repetition for the present, we're probably going to be treated to the complete Grigorovich canon, a prospect that does not exactly appeal to me. But I also know that if I don't vote with my pocketbook, the whole enterprise could disappear, and that would be worse than sitting through Spartacus.

#27 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:45 AM

Maybe more people would go in New York if the showings weren't at 11 AM on Sundays.  Big Cinema is using the Emerging Pictures films as fillers for time slots when none of their regular customers would ever attend a movie anyway. This time slot made sense when they were actually being shown as a live simulcast.  However, since that practice has been abandoned, the 11AM Sunday time slot is just annoying.

#28 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:56 AM

I think your point is right on the nose. The fact is that most American movie theaters aren't going to give up their normal fare and evening time slots to show arts programming, at least not if they haven't got multiple screens at their disposal. And that may ultimately be what's working against the Royal Ballet and its weeknight broadcasts. The number of people willing to come watch ballet on Sunday at 11 am, however small, is still likely to be bigger than the number able to come on Wednesday afternoon at 2:30.

Incidentally, Big Cinemas Manhattan will be showing Spartacus live on October 20 at 11:00 am ET, and the winners of the casting sweepstakes are Mikhail Lobukhin (Spartacus), Anna Nikulina (Phrygia), Svetlana Zakharova (Aegina) and Alexander Volchkov (Crassus).

#29 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

I think the 1pm Sunday slots for the Bolshoi Ballet, are to make them family friendly. (Live would be too early.) I've seen a lot more kids in Vancouver at the tutu balets. I wish they were earlier in the morning, even if not at live time.

#30 art076

art076

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:18 PM

An update!  Fathom Events (the company that distributes the Met Opera broadcasts) will be showing three Royal Ballet broadcasts in the United States this autumn.

Don Quixote on Oct 16 (the new one, with Nunez and Acosta):

http://www.fathomevents.com/#!don-quixote/more-info

Alice in Wonderland on Nov 19 (presumably the one from last spring, with Sarah Lamb & Federico Bonelli):

http://www.fathomevents.com/#!alices-adventures/more-info

The Nutcracker on Dec 17 (not clear whether it will be this year's broadcast, or the one from last year):

http://www.fathomevents.com/#!the-nutcracker/more-info

Hopefully they will carry the planned Giselle and SLeeping Beauty broadcasts from the Royal this year as well.  And this is also nice because Fathom generally has many more cinemas available than Ballet in Cinema...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):