This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Bolshoi's 2013/14 cinema season has been announced. There will be four live cinemacasts instead of five, and the McGregor/Ek bill has not been rescheduled at this point. (This as the Royal Ballet is increasing its live broadcasts from three to five.) With the broadcast of La Bayadère the Bolshoi has run out of its existing 19th-century repertoire, so I suppose the appearance of more Grigorovich ballets was inevitable, though I am disappointed surprised to see two of his ballets in one season. I'm more surprised by the absence of Lacotte's Marco Spada, which the Bolshoi is supposed to acquire next fall, and Cranko's Onegin, premiering this July, but getting any sort of Cranko on video seems to be nearly impossible.

Bolshoi Ballet

October 20 - Spartacus

November 17 - Le Corsaire (repeat)

December 22 - The Sleeping Beauty (repeat)

January 19 - Jewels

February 2 - Lost Illusions

March 30 - The Golden Age

http://www.pathelive.com/fr/news

Royal Ballet

October 16 - Don Quixote

December 12 - The Nutcracker

January 27 - Giselle

March 19 - The Sleeping Beauty

April 28 - The Winter's Tale

http://www.roh.org.u...eason-announced

I saw the Bolshoi's Spartacus live at the Kennedy Center when Ivan Vasiliev was still with that company. He was thrilling. Second cast w. Pavel D. was adequate but not terribly impressive, IMHO. Unless Vasiliev is planning a return guest stint, who would be dancing the lead in this? (Assuming that Pavel D. is tied up with other matters, like his trial, or fired.)

Since they are doing Jewels, which requires numerous lead dancers, maybe we will get to see some dancers other than Zaharova and Alexandrova, who have dominated these broadcasts. Perhaps some Obratsova or Smirnova?

Does the Mariinsky still do live transmitted performances? I thought it was possibly another company that does them but that they did.

Good lineup. I'll skip some of the "dram-ballet" but Jewels, Don Q, the new Wheeldon...not bad.

The Cineplex chain has announced dates for Canada. As in the past, Bolshoi and Royal Ballet performances will probably be broadcast same-day rather than live.

September 18 - Swan Lake in 3D (Mariinsky Ballet) + September 22

October 16 - Don Quixote (Royal Ballet)
October 20 - Spartacus (Bolshoi Ballet)

November 17 - An Evening with Crystal Pite (Nederlands Dans Theater)
December 12 - The Nutcracker (Royal Ballet) + December 22

January 19 - Jewels (Bolshoi Ballet)
January 27 - Giselle (Royal Ballet)
February 2 - Lost Illusions (Bolshoi Ballet)
February 23 - Moulin Rouge (Royal Winnipeg Ballet) + February 26, March 8

March 19 - Sleeping Beauty (Royal Ballet) + April 13

March 30 - Golden Age (Bolshoi Ballet)

April 28 - Winter's Tale (Royal Ballet)

They're finally getting around to the Crystal Pite program. Canadian content and all. Too bad it's the sole offering from NDT.

http://www.cineplex.com/Events/DanceSeries/Home.aspx

For some time preliminary casting has told us that the screening of the Royal Ballet's new Don Quixote is to star Marianela Nuñez and Carlos Acosta.

The Bolshoi has not yet posted any casting for October, but Svetlana Zakharova's personal site indicates that she will be dancing in Spartacus, presumably as Aegina, on October 20.

http://www.svetlana-zakharova.com/Calendar.html

For some time preliminary casting has told us that the screening of the Royal Ballet's new Don Quixote is to star Marianela Nuñez and Carlos Acosta.

The Bolshoi has not yet posted any casting for October, but Svetlana Zakharova's personal site indicates that she will be dancing in Spartacus, presumably as Aegina, on October 20.

http://www.svetlana-zakharova.com/Calendar.html

La Zakharova seems to have a stranglehold on the Bolshoi broadcasts...

Technically, it can't be called a stranglehold yet. This would be Zakharova's fourth appearance out of 16 broadcasts, the fifth if you add the Bolshoi re-opening gala. Maria Alexandrova and Nina Kaptsova have had more broadcasts.

That Zakharova's broadcasts tend to be fast-tracked for DVD release while more interesting performances are left waiting is another matter.

Technically, it can't be called a stranglehold yet. This would be Zakharova's fourth appearance out of 16 broadcasts, the fifth if you add the Bolshoi re-opening gala. Maria Alexandrova and Nina Kaptsova have had more broadcasts.

That Zakharova's broadcasts tend to be fast-tracked for DVD release while more interesting performances are left waiting is another matter.

Maybe you can help me sort out the Bolshoi offerings.

I am unaware of much for Kaptsova

Here is my list (not in chronological order)

1. Flames of Paria - Osipova

2. Nutcracker - Kaptsova

3. Giselle, class Concert - Lunkina

4. Coppelia - Osipova

5. Don Quixote - Osipova

6. Esmeralda - Alexandrova

7. Swan Lake - Alexandrova

8. Raymonda - Alexandrova

9. Bayadere - Zakharova

10. Sleeping Beauty - Zakharova

11. Bright Stream - Lunkina, Alexandrova (only ballet on list which I feel 2 ballerinas can be counted as stars)

12. La sylphide - Krysanova

13. Corsaire - Lunkina

14. Pharaoh's Daughter - Zakharova

15. Romeo & Juliet - Nikulina

Based on this list, here is the order of performances

4 - Alexandrova

3 - Osipova, Zakharova, Lunkina

2 - none

1 - Kaptsova, Krysanova, Nikulina

This adds up to 16 out of 15 offerings, since Bright Stream has 2 ballerinas

Osipova was running away from everyone before she departed, with possibly 3 of the first 5 or 6 offerings.

Alexandrova was also Gamzatti, and both she and Kaptsova were among the soloists in Class Concert. Many of Kaptsova's broadcasts were as secondary heroines. That's a reflection of her repertoire: Adeline, Florine, Gulnare, Ramze. But those parts are not unimportant, just as Maria Allash's appearances as Myrtha and the Lilac Fairy have to be counted, and Ekaterina Krysanova's Fleur-de-Lys. If anyone is underrepresented it's Shipulina. I would like to see her Aegina.

I emailed Ballet in Cinema today about the fact that they have appeared to drop the Royal Ballet broadcasts from their lineup for the 13/14 season. Apparently they needed to pick between broadcasting one company exclusively for the year (not sure what prompted this--the companies or Ballet in Cinema themselves) and chose the Bolshoi. So unfortunately, any one in America who receives their cinema screenings through Emerging Pictures/Ballet in Cinema are out of luck for the (more interesting, in my opinion) Royal Ballet line-up this year.

I will say that I appreciate that they responded very quickly to my email.

Apparently they needed to pick between broadcasting one company exclusively for the year (not sure what prompted this--the companies or Ballet in Cinema themselves) and chose the Bolshoi.

Since Canadian Cineplex shows both, it wouldn't appear to be a demand made by the ballet companies.

Yes, I saw that and thought the same. With these complicated contracts, who knows honestly?

I would suggest (if anyone has the urge) taking the time to contact them via their Contact page on the website. A company that still personally answers those form submissions may inclined to be more swayed by a group request.

I hope this isn't because the Bolshoi issued an ultimatum that it had to have exclusivity for ballet film screenings. Why are people so afraid of competition? There is enough demand in the marketplace so that people will go to see both the Bolshoi and the RB.

By the way, for those who want to see the Royal Opera House opera in cinema in New York, Symphony Space on the Upper West Side, through a partnership with WQXR, will be showing these productions. (Nothing listed for the RB screenings, though) . You may recall that Peter Gelb prohibits any movie chain carrying the Met Live In HD shows from showing the Royal Opera House opera in cinema offerings.

I would have thought that if it were a matter of choosing only one company, the ROH would be a more obvious fit for Emerging PIctures because its ballets and operas could be bundled together. But if the company's client cinemas find that the demand for ballet is insufficient to warrant 10 or 11 performances, it may have come down to looking at box office returns. If the Bolshoi has drawn more viewers than the RB in the past, a company trying to make a profit would make its choice accordingly.

It's a shame. I suppose those living close enough to the norther border could cross over for screenings, but it's hardly a practical solution.
http://www.cineplex.com/Events/DanceSeries/ParticipatingTheatres.aspx