This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Royal Ballet 2013-2014 season

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

I wonder if the cinema broadcast was cancelled because the lighting and special effects are so complex that they might not translate to a cinema screen. And that might also make it very difficult to tour. I believe this is a co-production with National Ballet of Canada, so eventually it will be seen in North America.

The ballet is still being broadcast live, it's only the North American screenings that are being delayed, postponed or whatever the deal is. But I think you're right about the National Ballet's performing rights. It, and not the Royal Ballet, brought Alice's Adventures in Wonderland to the Kennedy Center. The Canadian premiere of The Winter's Tale will take place in November 2015, and if that ballet gets any North American tours, I imagine that the National Ballet of Canada will be doing them.

#32 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

Yes, NBOC has N American rights to Winter's Tale, as it has for Alice so any N American touring of it will be done by NBOC.

#33 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

But the Royal broadcast their production of Alice here this year, and is doing it again next year.  I have a feeling that rights for co-productions are negotiated individually, and are very complicated.

Re: the difficulty of touring a complex set -- when PNB took their production of the Maillot R&J to City Center last year, it was an incredible task to get all that stuff there, to load it in to a theater it wasn't built for and make it all work.  And that was just for one theater -- taking something like that on a multiple theater tour would be even harder.

#34 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

I doubt that the Royal Ballet would sign away broadcast rights. As you say, the Canadian screening of Alice took place on March 28, 2013, the same day it was filmed in London.

Unless I'm mistaken, the National Ballet of Canada was the first ballet company to go live-to-cinema, as opposed to prerecorded-to-cinema, when it screened its Nutcracker on December 22, 2007. But apparently the enterprise turned out to be too costly, and after another Nutcracker the following year, the company did not re-appear at the multiplex. Since the NBoC is unlikely to present its own film of Winter's Tale, and since any Canadian tour of the ballet would be unlikely to reach places like Thunder Bay, Grande Prairie or Kamloops, it would seem entirely unreasonable to deny the Royal Ballet access to Canadian--or U.S.--movie screens. Besides, I'm going to hold the Canadian distributor to its word when it says that it "expect[s] that this title will return next season."

#35 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

I'm glad to hear that the Canadian distributor is still optimistic about Winter's Tale coming at some point -- I was less than excited about the works included in the 14-15 listings for the Royal Ballet cinema series. 

#36 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:59 AM

. . . In the final performance April 9, Yuhui Choe was quite special. She has an elegant, silken movement quality that is never rushed, never seems like she's just anxious to get something over with. I've been struggling with metaphors to describe it -- pulled taffy, perhaps? Everything is drawn out, appreciated to the fullest. The partnering was fine this time and she was more gracious to Golding during the bows -- giving him a flower, e.g., which she skipped Saturday night. . . .

Royal Ballet just posted a YouTube of rehearsals for Sleeping Beauty, with Yuhui Choi, coached by Anthony Dowell. I did enjoy her performances with Matthew Golding:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):