3 replies to this topic

#1 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:49 AM

Tulsa Ballet will present "The Four Temperaments."

"It is a little odd how certain pieces become popular all of a sudden," said Victoria Simon, one of the people entrusted with setting Balanchine's ballets on other companies. "A few years ago, there were a lot of requests for 'Western Symphony.' 'Serenade' and 'Who Cares?' are done quite a bit.

"And this year, 'The Four Temperaments' is a ballet a lot of companies are wanting to do," she said.

Related.

Cong is the third of the company's veteran dancers - following principal dancer Alfonso Martin and senior soloist Alexandra Bergman - who will be retiring as performers at the end of this season.

"It is definitely the end of an era for the ballet," said Marcello Angelini, the company's artistic director. "Tulsa Ballet has a storied history, built by people who have dedicated their lives to the organization. Ma Cong definitely belongs in this group."

#2 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:51 AM

An interview with Henry Danton.

Sadler’s Wells Ballet (later the Royal Ballet) and The International Ballet also were starting. The scarcity of men in ballet worked for and against him. Hired by International Ballet’s owner/director/principal ballerina, he soon became her partner. “It was absolutely ridiculous. I had 18 months behind me of training and I was dancing principal roles with a leading ballerina.” Pushed fast beyond his capabilities, he wanted to be in Sadler’s Wells Ballet, which might slow it down. Same thing happened there. “But it was wonderful because I got to dance the things I should not have been doing.”

#3 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:54 AM

Pia Catton writes for the Wall Street Journal on Edward Villella:

http://online.wsj.co...0754156626.html

The official line goes like this: In September 2011, Mr. Villella announced that he would depart MCB after the 2012-2013 season. He then accelerated those plans in September 2012 and turned over the company to the new artistic director, Lourdes Lopez. The clash between Mr. Villella, who is 76, and the MCB board reportedly centered around the future and the finances of the company. According to the Miami Herald, Mr. Villella was given a choice: agree to leave or the company would be forced to declare bankruptcy. (Miami City Ballet declined to comment for this column.)

#4 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:58 AM

Houston Ballet performed a new Rite of Spring by Stanton Welch:

http://blogs.houston...inues_legac.php

This program is essential viewing, even outside of the main attraction. Audiences will surely remember the impressions of beauty in both Pacific and Murmuration, but it's the shocking images of Welch's reimagining of Spring that will last a lifetime. His red-blooded choreography is so carnal, so grounded in the human impulse of ritual, it's almost obscene.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):