This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Mariinsky at the Kennedy Center 2013-2014

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#121 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:49 AM

I was disappointed in the management of the rehearsal. No announcement. No hand-out to tell us who was dancing, like they do at both NYCB and ABT. I saw a lot of people with audio sets, but have no idea where those came from or what they were hearing. They weren't handing them out as you walked into the theater. 

They usually hand those out in a booth in the Hall of States. However, while I wasn't there, the commentary is usually on a casual fan's level, so you may not have missed much.

#122 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

Back to Olga Esina for a moment. I've seen her five times, three of them were Swan Lakes, and she's been Extremely Beautiful, solid and vibrant. Last autumn in Naples, Italy, she danced Swan Lake twice, with only a one day break, and she was perhaps even more exciting and full of energy the second time. She was a breathe of fresh air !

#123 Swanilda8

Swanilda8

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

Thank you for all the reports on the performances! 

It's good to hear that Somova is having a great run. I've been charmed by her ever since seeing the videos of her in the Little Humpbacked Horse on youtube.

#124 soubrette_fan

soubrette_fan

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

You seem to describe the Spanish Dance (just 2 couples). The guy in the light outfit dances with Anastasia Petushkova...I'm 99% sure that it is/was Kamil Yangurazov, who was a huge hit in DC a few seasons ago as Espada in DON Q.

Thank you Natalia, he's the one!  My eyes were starting to glaze over from googling and trying to figure out who it was.  His dancing is quite unforgettable, and I shall keep my fingers crossed that this is the first of many times I have of watching him dance.

#125 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

Count me as one more witness to the miraculous transformation of Alina Somova. I could hardly believe it was the same dancer who grated on my nerves so many times before. Gone were the awkward transitional steps, the lack of musicality, the uncontrollable flying limbs and constant 180 degree extensions. Her Odette was just gorgeous, beautifully classical, beautiful line, strong technique and strong acting. She reverted just a tiny bit in the black act but thats ok, she was vamping.

I don't know what the problem was with Schklyarov on opening night, but he was his usual fantastic self tonight. No wig, no partnering problems, beautiful double tours and a series of absolutely gasp inducing grand jetes in his 2nd black swan solo variation.

As always, the #1 star of the night was the Mariinsky corps. Bravi.

#126 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:38 AM

You warm my heart with your report, nysusan...especially the part about "NO WIG" on Schklyarov & his return to high form. He has the most gorgeous head of youthful, full hair. No need for a teased Bubble Wig. Sorry to miss seeing you. It was great seeing Abatt earlier!  Have fun, y'all.

#127 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:08 AM

I wish someone could have snuck a pic of this bubble wig and posted it here! I can't picture it! It sounds ridiculous! I don't think the Mariinsky usually puts a wig on Siegfried, so it is very strange.

#128 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:58 AM

I found this picture online:

http://www.dcmetroth...arolyn-kelemen/

Looks less like a wig than hair extensions.

#129 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:27 AM

Okay, not as bad as I pictured! LOL

#130 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

Schklyarov was back to his usual wonderful high level of dancing on Friday night. I also thought Somova's Act III (black swan act) was much better performed on Friday than Tuesday. So glad that the KC brings this troupe to the East Coast every year.

#131 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

This is ancient. This is absolutely NOT his hair in 2014 Swan Lake. That is how I wish he would wear his hair now.

If someone has a photo of the 2nd picture that accompanied Sarah Kaufman's review of last Tuesday'sopener -- the photo in one of the inside pages of thePost's Style section -- THAT is the Bubble 'Do. You could also look at photos of Anton Korsakov in past tours, with this 'do. For a couple of minutes. I had to ZOOM my binoculars to see that the guy dancing at the KC was indeed Schklyarov and not Korsakov, 'he' so looked like Korsakov in hair and slightly -rounded figure.

#132 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

Just to clarify, I didn't see the bubble wig, I just have seen V.S. wear what might be called hair extensions. I follow him on Instagram and he posts performance pics where sometimes for the more romantic roles he wears extrensions to give his hair the poof of Korsuntsev, Hallberg, or in the past, Ruzimatov. And then in more neoclassical stuff he wears his shorter, flatter non-poofy hair (more attractive, IMO). Seems as in Russia, ''poof" is de riguer for males in romantic roles, whereas in the US male danseurs prefer a slicked back look.

#133 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

the poof makes them slightly taller

#134 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:55 PM

And in the US the ladies will give themselves a slight poof in their buns or a part down the middle to frame the face, while in Russian companies the ultra severe pulled back bun is the standard look.

#135 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:20 AM

This is pretty much exactly what his hair looked like on Friday night, so no bubble wig!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):