This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Mariinsky at the Kennedy Center 2013-2014

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#46 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

Petition or no petition, YID, the timing of your early-November trip to St-P is quite auspicious. You'll be in the thick of things. Take good mental notes but, of course, we can only report what's in official media here...so just observe. :)

According to this article (posted on the Vaganova news thread too), Ilya Kuznetsov is quoted as being prepared to quit if the Tsiskaridze appointment goes through....in which case Kuznetsov may not be joining the troupe in DC to dance his famous role of Von Rothbart.

http://news.yahoo.co...-164552389.html

#47 tamicute

tamicute

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

Petition or no petition, YID, the timing of your early-November trip to St-P is quite auspicious. You'll be in the thick of things. Take good mental notes but, of course, we can only report what's in official media here...so just observe. smile.png

According to this article (posted on the Vaganova news thread too), Ilya Kuznetsov is quoted as being prepared to quit if the Tsiskaridze appointment goes through....in which case Kuznetsov may not be joining the troupe in DC to dance his famous role of Von Rothbart.

http://news.yahoo.co...-164552389.html

My personal opinion is that every member of the Mariinsky Ballet should be prepared to quit, if Fateyev is not removed from his position. However, Skorik and Askerov will be exceptions, along with Mr. and Mrs. Shklyarov..

#48 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

I just noticed that the casting in DC has changed slightly. The Kennedy Center website now lists Esina....Tereshkina is no longer listed.....

PRINCIPAL CASTING (subject to change)
Tue., Jan. 28, Fri., Jan. 31 at 7:30 p.m. & Sun., Feb. 2 at 1:30 p.m.
Alina Somova, Vladimir Shklyarov

Wed., Jan 29 at 7:30 p.m. & Sat., Feb. 1 at 1:30 p.m.
Anastasia Kolegova, Maxim Zyuzin

Thu., Jan. 30, Sat., Feb. 1 at 7:30 p.m.
Olga Esina, Timur Askerov

#49 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:46 AM

Thanks, Birdsall, for the update.

Any of the ballerinas, from my viewing experience, can deliver an unforgettably great performance.

Alina Somova, I've always felt, has the ability to be one of the very best.

Anastasia Kolegova, along with being the more quiet one that you fall in love with, has extremely fine technical ability that you may not grab you until it's time to applaud, and then the audience unexpectedly can go crazy. 

Olga Esina can perform like an ethereal gem.

If it weren't for living at the other side of the continent and having gone through my ballet funds several times over this year, I would surely be there . I still haven't ruled out making it somehow.

#50 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:40 AM

Ah, so Somova gets opening night! No Terioshkina? Wow...I know a lot of people who will be disappointed and may cancel travel plans.

By the way, Esina is wonderful too - I totally agree with Buddy...but my prediction of Skorik being brought in to dance with her real-life partner, Askerov, is off. Or maybe not. More changes may come? I hope not, as the addition of Esina is a delight.

#51 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:52 AM

I just noticed that the casting in DC has changed slightly. The Kennedy Center website now lists Esina....Tereshkina is no longer listed.....

PRINCIPAL CASTING (subject to change)
Tue., Jan. 28, Fri., Jan. 31 at 7:30 p.m. & Sun., Feb. 2 at 1:30 p.m.
Alina Somova, Vladimir Shklyarov

Wed., Jan 29 at 7:30 p.m. & Sat., Feb. 1 at 1:30 p.m.
Anastasia Kolegova, Maxim Zyuzin

Thu., Jan. 30, Sat., Feb. 1 at 7:30 p.m.
Olga Esina, Timur Askerov

Slightly?  Tereshkina out and Somova now opening & closing the engagement? Perhaps, as Buddy says, any of them can deliver a great performance but I've seen them all in Swan Lake and I haven't seen anything close to a great performance from any of them. Except Esina - she was very good when I saw her 7 or 8 years ago and I'm looking forward to seeing her again.

But truthfully,  I wish I could gt a refund on my tickets. Its going to be an expensive weekend and I would never EVER have spent the money on this casting. The Mariinsky has so many great O/Os - Lopatkina, Tereshkina, Kondaurova, Pavlenko. And wouldn't we all love to see Osmolkina or Novikova. It was one thing when Tereshkina was leading it off and then maybe you sat through 1 Somova and 1 Kolegova performance to see if they've improved - but switching Somova for Tereshkina really makes this "D" level casting

#52 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

Ugh. My day is officially ruined. No Tereshkina.   

#53 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

By the way, Esina is wonderful too - I totally agree with Buddy...the addition of Esina is a delight.

Natalia, I knew that I love you !  flowers.gif

Abatt and nysusan, the reason that Viktoria Tereshkina won't be there is that she's been traded to the Bolshoi that week for three pitchers and a slugger. 

Please don't despair. Any one of the now scheduled ballerinas is capable of setting off Fireworks !

Added comment:

Reference to the Bolshoi has nothing to do with current news events. It was only meant to be a bit lighthearted. 

#54 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

I suspect Skorik will be featured at the Olympics ceremonies, since she is not coming to the US. 

#55 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:35 AM

By the way, Esina is wonderful too - I totally agree with Buddy...the addition of Esina is a delight.

Natalia, I knew that I love you !  flowers.gif

Eeeeek!  helpsmilie.gif     (Just kidding. A flowers.gif  to you, too, Buddy.)

#56 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:56 AM

I suspect Skorik will be featured at the Olympics ceremonies, since she is not coming to the US. 

Given all that has happened between the Kremlin, Russian ballet and the Olympics, there is only one choice to dance the central Firebird as the Olympic torch is lit:  Nikolai Tsiskaridze!

#57 Kristen

Kristen

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

The wisdom of leaving Florida the last day in January for a ballet performance in DC is always in question, particularly now ...  However, I already have plane tickets and ballet tickets and if turns out that Johnny Weir is dancing Odette in his swan costume, it won't surprise me.  While I understand there are injuries and illness, does anyone change casting  for no discernible reason more than the Bolshoi and Mariinsky?  Fortunately, I wasn't wedded to any of the principals, but the reactions above are distressing.

#58 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

LOL Kristen.  Now, seeing Johnny Weir do Swan Lake w. the Mariinsky would be something.  Johnny has lined up a nice gig for himself.  He will be a reporter for NBC during the Sochi games.  For all you figure skating fans, Johnny is already doing commentary for NBC for the men's singles events on the Grand Prix circuit. 

#59 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:28 AM

Johnny is a wonderful commentator on NBC, abatt!

#60 Kristen

Kristen

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

I agree - Johnny Weir is a VERY good commentator.  The link between ballet and figure skating is obvious - sad that NBC doesn't seem to understand that pairs and Ice dancing might be of interest to their viewers, but that's another topic for another forum, I suppose .... sigh.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):