This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky at the Kennedy Center 2013-2014

I just noticed that the casting in DC has changed slightly. The Kennedy Center website now lists Esina....Tereshkina is no longer listed.....

PRINCIPAL CASTING (subject to change)

Tue., Jan. 28, Fri., Jan. 31 at 7:30 p.m. & Sun., Feb. 2 at 1:30 p.m.

Alina Somova, Vladimir Shklyarov

Wed., Jan 29 at 7:30 p.m. & Sat., Feb. 1 at 1:30 p.m.

Anastasia Kolegova, Maxim Zyuzin

Thu., Jan. 30, Sat., Feb. 1 at 7:30 p.m.

Olga Esina, Timur Askerov

Slightly? Tereshkina out and Somova now opening & closing the engagement? Perhaps, as Buddy says, any of them can deliver a great performance but I've seen them all in Swan Lake and I haven't seen anything close to a great performance from any of them. Except Esina - she was very good when I saw her 7 or 8 years ago and I'm looking forward to seeing her again.

But truthfully, I wish I could gt a refund on my tickets. Its going to be an expensive weekend and I would never EVER have spent the money on this casting. The Mariinsky has so many great O/Os - Lopatkina, Tereshkina, Kondaurova, Pavlenko. And wouldn't we all love to see Osmolkina or Novikova. It was one thing when Tereshkina was leading it off and then maybe you sat through 1 Somova and 1 Kolegova performance to see if they've improved - but switching Somova for Tereshkina really makes this "D" level casting

By the way, Esina is wonderful too - I totally agree with Buddy...the addition of Esina is a delight.

Natalia, I knew that I love you ! flowers.gif

Abatt and nysusan, the reason that Viktoria Tereshkina won't be there is that she's been traded to the Bolshoi that week for three pitchers and a slugger.
Please don't despair. Any one of the now scheduled ballerinas is capable of setting off Fireworks !
Added comment:
Reference to the Bolshoi has nothing to do with current news events. It was only meant to be a bit lighthearted.

I suspect Skorik will be featured at the Olympics ceremonies, since she is not coming to the US.

Given all that has happened between the Kremlin, Russian ballet and the Olympics, there is only one choice to dance the central Firebird as the Olympic torch is lit: Nikolai Tsiskaridze!

The wisdom of leaving Florida the last day in January for a ballet performance in DC is always in question, particularly now ... However, I already have plane tickets and ballet tickets and if turns out that Johnny Weir is dancing Odette in his swan costume, it won't surprise me. While I understand there are injuries and illness, does anyone change casting for no discernible reason more than the Bolshoi and Mariinsky? Fortunately, I wasn't wedded to any of the principals, but the reactions above are distressing.

LOL Kristen. Now, seeing Johnny Weir do Swan Lake w. the Mariinsky would be something. Johnny has lined up a nice gig for himself. He will be a reporter for NBC during the Sochi games. For all you figure skating fans, Johnny is already doing commentary for NBC for the men's singles events on the Grand Prix circuit.

I agree - Johnny Weir is a VERY good commentator. The link between ballet and figure skating is obvious - sad that NBC doesn't seem to understand that pairs and Ice dancing might be of interest to their viewers, but that's another topic for another forum, I suppose .... sigh.

Kristen, I don't know what Cable provider you have, but the entirety of every one of the figure skating Grand Prix events (including all pairs and ice dancing events) have been broadcast on an NBC sports oriented sister station through Time Warner Cable. In NYC, that is channel 481, I think. Check your listings.

Tereshkina will not be in DC (confirmed personally by her). Somova has an ankle injury (has been treating it, but it may not heal over due to her persistency to heavily perform now). The "surprise" may be that Fateev will add Skorik at the last moment - that's what i heard. IMHO and what i saw in last 7 days is Tereshkina is back technically and emotionally, she is delicate with her back, and does not overextend. Somova got more emotional, but a tiny extra (compared to her old self) around hips articulates her imprecision, and the ruined ankle doesn't help her dancing. Novikova delivered a baby girl, and Osmolkina is expecting. Lopatkina & Kuznetsov made me cry in the Legend of Love. Why don't they bring it oversees, it's a very impressive ballet.

Thanks for the news (good and bad). Congrats to Novikova and Sarafanov on the birth of their baby girl! So happy to read that Osmolkina is next to expect! smile.png

Well, YID, the Kennedy Center has already published latest casting, as someone pointed out a few days ago. Somova/Schklyarov now have opening night (so far...) and Yesina takes over 3rd-cast Odette/Odile, with Askerov. As posted above, I'm still waiting for the "Skorik Shoe" to drop, as I cannot imagine Askerov dancing Siegfried with anyone but Skorik, his real-life lady (the film with Kondaurova being an oddity).

We need to begin a Betting Board: I bet $100 on (a) Yesina moving up to opening cast and (b) Skorik getting the call to dance 3rd cast with Askerov.

I agree about Legend of Love. Somehow it doesn't "sell" in the West as it does in Russia and the East. Parts were performed on a Bolshoi UK tour a few years ago. Shuraleh is another lovely 'eastern' ballet that never tours.

Thanks for the news (good and bad). Congrats to Novikova and Sarafanov on the birth of their baby girl! So happy to read that Osmolkina is next to expect! smile.png

Well, YID, the Kennedy Center has already published latest casting, as someone pointed out a few days ago. Somova/Schklyarov now have opening night (so far...) and Yesina takes over 3rd-cast Odette/Odile, with Askerov. As posted above, I'm still waiting for the "Skorik Shoe" to drop, as I cannot imagine Askerov dancing Siegfried with anyone but Skorik, his real-life lady (the film with Kondaurova being an oddity).

We need to begin a Betting Board: I bet $100 on (a) Yesina moving up to opening cast and (b) Skorik getting the call to dance 3rd cast with Askerov.

I agree about Legend of Love. Somehow it doesn't "sell" in the West as it does in Russia and the East. Parts were performed on a Bolshoi UK tour a few years ago. Shuraleh is another lovely 'eastern' ballet that never tours.

I remember seeing the Bolshoi tour Legend of Love many years ago--at the State Theater in NY and with Bessmertnova and Bogatyrev as the leads. (Aaahh...I just looked up how to spell Bogatyrev's name and see that he died quite young in 1998: I will quote the obit that turned up on Google: "tall, outstandingly good-looking, and with a style that was elegant and academically pure." In my memory, he decidedly answers to that description.)

Topic? Hmmm, well, if the Mariinsky were to include a Soviet ballet or indeed 'eastern' ballet on tour I would be just as happy to see Legend of Love as Fountain of Bakhchisarai which they brought to the Met ca. a decade ago--or indeed happier (especially if Lopatkina were dancing it, as she just did a few nights ago in Petersburg). Shurale I have never seen at all so perhaps that ought to be my first choice. I would certainly be very pleased to have the chance to see it. Impresarios please pay attention.

Kristen, I don't know what Cable provider you have, but the entirety of every one of the figure skating Grand Prix events (including all pairs and ice dancing events) have been broadcast on an NBC sports oriented sister station through Time Warner Cable. In NYC, that is channel 481, I think. Check your listings.

Abatt - Thanks for your help - I know that Universal Sports shows all of the Grand Prix events, but unfortunately Comcast doesn't provide it here on the east coast of Florida. I tried to stream it directly, but that apparently isn't an option.

I need to sell ONE ticket for Mariinsky open Dress rehearsal on 2/28 12pm, face value + Kennedy center charge, i think total is about 15. The ticket is in NYC but i will be willing to mail it. If i do not reply right away, i am travelling, back on 6th. Happy Holiday season

I need to sell ONE ticket for Mariinsky open Dress rehearsal on 2/28 12pm, face value + Kennedy center charge, i think total is about 15. The ticket is in NYC but i will be willing to mail it. If i do not reply right away, i am travelling, back on 6th. Happy Holiday season

Hi YID,

If it's still available, I'm interested! I sent you a personal message.

Best,

soubrette_fan

It was sold out from the beginning of Jan. Though today i saw that besides saying it's sold out, there's a sign that on sale for members only. (?!?) well, interesting whom they really bring... I've so far have only 1 ticket for Sat matinee. Wonder if they will offer the standing room tickets (the ticket office said it will be decided once the company gets in town, by Mariinsky's management)

It was sold out from the beginning of Jan. Though today i saw that besides saying it's sold out, there's a sign that on sale for members only. (?!?) well, interesting whom they really bring... I've so far have only 1 ticket for Sat matinee. Wonder if they will offer the standing room tickets (the ticket office said it will be decided once the company gets in town, by Mariinsky's management)

Yes, I noticed that too. When I log-in as a member, it shows seats still available. So it must be a new tactic or bonus just for members.

I just checked the Mariinsky playbill site (back home in StP) and it shows that Terioshkina is dancing Giselle while this DC tour will be going on. Lopatkina is also dancing. So they are not so indisposed; they could have been on this tour. Terioshkina could very well have been dancing in DC on opening night, as originally scheduled.

I also see that a lot of young up-and-coming dancers will not be coming to DC, as many had hoped, because they are scheduled to dance in StP during the DC tour, e.g., Sofia Skoblikova-Ivanova and Xander Parish, who have been dancing the A1 Pas de Trois often during this season.

I logged in out of curiosity to see what seats were available. On the first two nights, they have four seats together in the back row, far side of the first tier. That's it. Does Kennedy Center accept donations of tickets people can't use? That might explain it. Nothing else is available for the run, but if other donations come in, that might change.

I logged in out of curiosity to see what seats were available. On the first two nights, they have four seats together in the back row, far side of the first tier. That's it. Does Kennedy Center accept donations of tickets people can't use? That might explain it. Nothing else is available for the run, but if other donations come in, that might change.

Yes. Those donated tickets can show up for sale at any time.

Hi,

I m new here, and so interested to read all your posts and opinions (many different opinions!).

Am writing because am wondering if anyone has a ticket they might be selling for the Mariinsky Swan Lake open rehearsal, January 28th at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC. It seems it's all sold out, but if someone finds they have a ticket they won't be using, would be delighted to buy it, even last minute could work.

Thank you, and look forward to visiting this site to read the posts about Swan Lake!