This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky at the Kennedy Center 2013-2014

Anastasia Kolegova is a Sweetheart. You'll fall in love with her immediately ! She's also a very fine dancer and she's not tall making her all the more special for a Mariinsky Odette-Odile.

Added Beseechment:

I'm putting her in your hands, Abatt. Please see that she is given a wonderful reception and very well cared for. flowers.gif

How is Kolegova?

Yes! Tereshkina! Happinesshappy.png

I think Anastasia Kolegova is wonderful. I actually like her better than many Principals at the Mariinsky. She has an introverted persona on stage, so she is a great Odette, but she can also be spicy as Odile, although I feel she is always subtle in demeanor (less aggressive), and her dancing is technically impeccable. However, Tereshkina is probably the best Odile, because she drips confidence and evil. Tereshkina wows you mainly as Odile. I think she is good as Odette also, but her Odile is the more exciting than her Odette.

YID, I don't know if this is the right place to discuss this, but I'm curious as to what Valery Gergiev feels about and how he relates to the ballet company. If you can offer some insights into this, either here or at another topic, I'd be very glad to read what you have to say.

How is Kolegova?

Yes! Tereshkina! Happinesshappy.png

I saw Kolegova in Swan Lake last year in California. These are the thoughts I posted back then:

"I also saw the Kolegova/Askerov Sunday matinee, and I agree with ksk04 about Kolegova. She is a beautiful woman and she danced well, she was traditional, a very soft Odette. She did all the steps but I found her boring, unemotional and unfocused."

I got tickets for Friday, both Saturday performances and the Sunday matinee. I, too, am thrilled at the prospect of seeing 2 Tereshkina/Shklyarov Swan Lakes. I'm also looking forward to seeing Maxim Zyuzin and hope that Ms. Somova and Kolegova will have grown in their interpretations.

Thanks for the insights, YID. Of course, I'd love Lopatkina and Kondaurova to come but I believe that this tour dovetails with pre-Olympic Opening Cerem rehearsals in Sochi, which will occur the following week, so any ballerinas pegged for the opening ceremonies -- which will have a 'Firebird' theme -- will not be able to dance in DC.

I bought a ticket for each of the first performances of each cast, i.e., I'll be going on Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday, regardless of who dances/possible cast shufflings. It's important to report. 'We report - you decide!' Between nysusan and I (and, of course, many others), we're covering all bases.

I think Anastasia Kolegova is wonderful....although I feel she is always subtle in demeanor (less aggressive), and her dancing is technically impeccable.

For those who've never seen Anastasia Kolegova, this video clip gives at least a hint of the loveliness and talent that I saw her display at her two Costa Mesa, California "Swan Lake"s last October. As Birdsall has written, her expression can be a subtle and quiet one, but as I posted elsewhere after Costa Mesa,
" How can so much amazing talent be compressed into such a lovable little package ? "
(posted by the Latvian National Opera in HD, where she appeared at a gala)
Added:
In Costa Mesa, one thing that I was particularly impressed with was the fineness and articulation of her hands, which I think can be seen here. She also got a great audience response, receiving a standing ovation from some front seat viewers after her White Swan duet, a first in my viewing experience.

Yes, Kolegova is good. I really enjoyed her Gamzatti in one of the Bayaderes that I attended in Ottawa, in 2011. She has a very striking face/eyes and very nice technique. She used to be one of the major stars of the Maly-Mikhailovsky before Kekhman took it over.

I thought her Aurora was so beautiful when I saw her in it. Her looks helped because she is such a pretty ballerina and it is an extra plus when Aurora is pretty, in my opinion. Not a must, but it makes everything more magical. I also saw her as Medora in July and she was terrific although when she is brought out to the men after being captured, she was not as heroic as other ballerinas but everything else was wonderful. Her Tsar Maiden in Ratmansky's Humpbacked Horse was also nice. I was worried about the parts where some pop dancing is done, but she did that naturally as well.

Please allow me a little poetic distance on this one.

In the second video above, I've stood in front of the Winter Palace several dozen times and the lovely mint tinted color, at least on my screen, would be the ideal for the beautiful color that is actually there. As a backdrop for Anastasia Kolegova (or any other Mariinsky 'angel') the interior would be artistically splendid. The sky above, on the other hand, would be dreamlike perfect.

The first video of the two, the Russian dance, is one of the finest visual experiences that I've enjoyed in a long time. I sometimes focus on the flow of the arms and hands, which, along with the shape and motion of the ballet skirt and the airy shawl, all together -- an ethereal cluster -- float magically through a center of support. This center of support is the earthy poetry of a russian folk dance with a brilliantly phrased juxtapositioning of the head, further enhanced by the sculptural loveliness of the legs and the vibrance of the steps.

An ethereal mass rotates around and through a structural excitement of rhythm and articulation.

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/news1/news2/23_231oct/

Dmitry Medvedev congratulates Ulyana Lopatkina

Today Mariinsky Theatre prima ballerina Ulyana Lopatkina, People’s Artist of Russia, celebrates her birthday.

Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev sent his congratulations to the ballerina – “You are one of the greatest stars ever to shine,” his birthday telegram read. Medvedev noted that the dancer’s virtuoso technique and stunning plastique make her every role emotionally intense and expressive, while her interpretations of the roles of Odette-Odile, Giselle, Nikia and the Lilac Fairy among countless others have enchanted audiences at the world’s greatest theatres and brought glory to Russian dance.

And I want the US audience to WATCH THIS MIRACCLE, "one of the greatest stars ever to shine". I've been reading the reviews about Ms. Lopatkina Swan Lake in Asia this month and her Giselle on 10/22, and she's in the greatest artistic and physical form.

[i'm not within inner circle of Mr. Gergiev], but i will deliver my petition which i handed to him to the Mariinsky's theater Admin office in November. I hope critics will join us in asking for her performance in DC. I've seen her SL in February in Saint Pete. It's worth the trip

YID: I would be grateful if you have any links to the reviews of Lopatkina's performances in Asia. I have seen some discussion (and short excerpts) of the Giselle you mention on youtube.

However, I do think that it's a forlorn hope that she would come to D.C. if she is participating in the opening ceremonies for Sochi--as seems very likely (and indeed, if ballerinas are being featured, quite as it should be).

And I want the US audience to WATCH THIS MIRACCLE, "one of the greatest stars ever to shine". I've been reading the reviews about Ms. Lopatkina Swan Lake in Asia this month and her Giselle on 10/22, and she's in the greatest artistic and physical form.

[i'm not within inner circle of Mr. Gergiev], but i will deliver my petition which i handed to him to the Mariinsky's theater Admin office in November. I hope critics will join us in asking for her performance in DC. I've seen her SL in February in Saint Pete. It's worth the trip

Now that Lopatkina is Vaganova artistic director, she should not go on any tours, since she is much more needed at home to fix Asylmuratova's sinking ship, in the words of Valery Gergiev. However, in the words of everyone knowledgeable in ballet, which Gergiev has proven to have no knowledge or interest in, Asylmuratova left with a great foundation and great staff that loved her and great students who worshiped her.

If your petition is all about Lopatkina, i am opposed to it because Mariinsky is sending outstanding ballerinas to perform Odette/Odile and clearly, Lopatkina has a new position and her new school does not need it's artistic director gallivanting to USA to perform for one week to satisfy her fans in USA, when her students and teachers, need her more than her USA fans.

The official report was that she'd COMBINE her active performing and holding the Vaganova post.

Have you seen her swan and the outstanding balerinas you quote? I had seen them all (Lopatkina in February, Kolegova in Oct, and others before). As such I am petitioning. And as she's not in the age group of the others her performing age is not indefinite. Of the posted cast, I will look forward to seeing Tereshkina, but not the other two.

Added later after tamicute's response. The policy of this forum forbids me from publishing a lot of information here. I will just say, that i know and been told (first hand) a lot of things about Kennedy cating/engagement and Mariinsky internal politics. But as i don't have printed sources of such, i can't publish it. I will let you be and post whatever you like. I vote with my dollars (besides braving to appeal to Gergiev in person) ;- )) by fliying to see whom i want to see (Tereshkina+Shklyarov, LOPATKINA!, Tereshkina+Yermakov) PS: work interviened to see Lopatkina's Giselle ;- ((

The official report was that she'd COMBINE her active performing and holding the Vaganova post.

Have you seen her swan and the outstanding balerinas you quote? I had seen them all (Lopatkina in February, Kolegova in Oct, and others before). As such I am petitioning. And as she's not in the age group of the others her performing age is not indefinite. Of the posted cast, I will look forward to seeing Tereshkina, but not the other two.

I have seen all 3 scheduled performers dance Swan Lake live, Kolegova 7 times, both Somova and Tereshkina twice and I have seen Lopatkina perform Swan Lake 6 times. Of course, some were not at Mariinsky, but most were.

Yes, Lopatkina's dancing years are limited, but her new position takes more importance than her American fans, plus she is almost certainly schedule to perform at Sochi Olympic opening ceremonies on February 7. Everything seems to indicate a wasted effort on your part to hand a Lopatkina petition to MT management during your upcoming November trip.

Regarding Lopatkina combining performing and working at Vaganova, there would be no criticism if she performs at home, but much criticism if she spends one week in USA to satisfy her American fans. A trip to USA would actually entail leaving Russia on Sunday and arriving back the following Tuesday which would be 10 days out of Russia, but of course, she could come for one performance which realistically would require her to leave two days prior to her performance and arrive back home, two days after her performance, still amounting to 5 days away from home. Even if she opts for the 5 day venture, i would call such an action as being negligent of her Vaganova duties.

Petition or no petition, YID, the timing of your early-November trip to St-P is quite auspicious. You'll be in the thick of things. Take good mental notes but, of course, we can only report what's in official media here...so just observe. :)

According to this article (posted on the Vaganova news thread too), Ilya Kuznetsov is quoted as being prepared to quit if the Tsiskaridze appointment goes through....in which case Kuznetsov may not be joining the troupe in DC to dance his famous role of Von Rothbart.

http://news.yahoo.com/russian-ballet-star-breaks-ranks-over-switch-top-164552389.html

Petition or no petition, YID, the timing of your early-November trip to St-P is quite auspicious. You'll be in the thick of things. Take good mental notes but, of course, we can only report what's in official media here...so just observe. smile.png

According to this article (posted on the Vaganova news thread too), Ilya Kuznetsov is quoted as being prepared to quit if the Tsiskaridze appointment goes through....in which case Kuznetsov may not be joining the troupe in DC to dance his famous role of Von Rothbart.

http://news.yahoo.com/russian-ballet-star-breaks-ranks-over-switch-top-164552389.html

My personal opinion is that every member of the Mariinsky Ballet should be prepared to quit, if Fateyev is not removed from his position. However, Skorik and Askerov will be exceptions, along with Mr. and Mrs. Shklyarov..

I just noticed that the casting in DC has changed slightly. The Kennedy Center website now lists Esina....Tereshkina is no longer listed.....

PRINCIPAL CASTING (subject to change)
Tue., Jan. 28, Fri., Jan. 31 at 7:30 p.m. & Sun., Feb. 2 at 1:30 p.m.
Alina Somova, Vladimir Shklyarov

Wed., Jan 29 at 7:30 p.m. & Sat., Feb. 1 at 1:30 p.m.
Anastasia Kolegova, Maxim Zyuzin

Thu., Jan. 30, Sat., Feb. 1 at 7:30 p.m.
Olga Esina, Timur Askerov

Thanks, Birdsall, for the update.

Any of the ballerinas, from my viewing experience, can deliver an unforgettably great performance.

Alina Somova, I've always felt, has the ability to be one of the very best.

Anastasia Kolegova, along with being the more quiet one that you fall in love with, has extremely fine technical ability that you may not grab you until it's time to applaud, and then the audience unexpectedly can go crazy.

Olga Esina can perform like an ethereal gem.

If it weren't for living at the other side of the continent and having gone through my ballet funds several times over this year, I would surely be there . I still haven't ruled out making it somehow.

Ah, so Somova gets opening night! No Terioshkina? Wow...I know a lot of people who will be disappointed and may cancel travel plans.

By the way, Esina is wonderful too - I totally agree with Buddy...but my prediction of Skorik being brought in to dance with her real-life partner, Askerov, is off. Or maybe not. More changes may come? I hope not, as the addition of Esina is a delight.