• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#1 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

I was just listening to the live stream season announcement for the Kennedy Center for 2013-2014. Mariinsky is bringing a week of Swan Lake. (The Bolshoi is also coming, but no mention in the conference of what ballet they will be doing.)

I'm clearing my schedule.

#2 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

I was just listening to the live stream season announcement for the Kennedy Center for 2013-2014. Mariinsky is bringing a week of Swan Lake. (The Bolshoi is also coming, but no mention in the conference of what ballet they will be doing.)

I'm clearing my schedule.

I found the page listing the companies. Has anyone found more information, most especially, dates?
http://www.kennedy-c.../newseason/#DBC

#3 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

Mariinsky is at the KC Jan 28-Feb 2, 2014

(Bolshoi dates are May 20-25, 2014)

#4 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Wonderful, wonderful news! All we need now is the right casting.

#5 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

(The Bolshoi is also coming, but no mention in the conference of what ballet they will be doing.)

A word of caution on the Bolshoi: when they came to the Orange County Performing Arts Center (now Segerstrom) in spring 2010, they announced they would be doing La Bayadere for the entire week. Late in the game (although before single tickets went on sale), they switched that to Don Quixote - probably a better choice for that audience, although they never gave any explanation for the change.

#6 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Hope they bring a better batch than what we got in October. Though seeing Big Red was worth it all, I guess!

#7 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:30 AM

Wonderful, wonderful news! All we need now is the right casting.

Finally, once again, a full-length Petipa-era classic!

Best-case scenario: Terioshkina and Kondaurova as Odette-Odiles...and - if we're really lucky - 'miraculous' appearances by Lopatkina and Pavlenko as O/O.

Worst case: (your guess!)

#8 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:31 AM

Given that the Olympics in Russia will take place starting Feb 7, would it be fair to conclude that some of the Mariinsky's top stars may be taking part in special events and may therefore skip a trip to the US around the same time?

I hope that the Mariinsky will rent the Koch during Jan 2014 and swing by NYC (when NYCB is on hiatus), but I'm not holding my breath.

#9 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

Mariinsky is at the KC Jan 28-Feb 2, 2014

(Bolshoi dates are May 20-25, 2014)

Do we know whether either or both of these companies are coming to New York as well?

Do we know whether a foreign ballet company is coming to the Lincoln Center Festival this summer (2013?)

#10 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

Given that the Olympics in Russia will take place starting Feb 7, would it be fair to conclude that some of the Mariinsky's top stars may be taking part in special events and may therefore skip a trip to the US around the same time?

Good point, abatt. Well, there goes Lopatkina, who is part of the official 'VIP crew' that regularly promotes the Sochi Olympics. She has been interviewed about participation in the opening ceremonies. Even though the KennCenter run ends Feb 2 and the Oly Opening Cerems are five days later, there are many days of rehearsals and prep for the ceremonies.

It will be interesting to see if Bolshoi AD Sergei Filin will be well enough to attend by then. Speaking of Bolshoi, they will be in Paris sometime in Jan/Feb 2014 timeframe (in Ratmansky's Lost Illusions), possibly overlapping with the Olympics. I'm betting that they will also tour Lost Illusions to DC, based on past 'touring patterns' - what goes to Paris or London, later goes to DC.

#11 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

Natalia wrote:

...Terioshkina and Kondaurova as Odette-Odiles...and - if we're really lucky - 'miraculous' appearances by Lopatkina and Pavlenko as O/O.

I'm ITA with you.

Worst case: 'The SSK' - Somova, Skorik and/or Kampa. I wouldn't be surprised if, by the time January 2014 rolls around, Fateev will have given Kampa the role...so prepare yourselves. Heck, I'll even bet that Skorik and Kampa may be gifted 'principal' status before the tour, not necessarily due to talent and abilities.

Re Skoryk, IMO there's an 80 - 100% chance this could happen - to her and Timur Askerov.

#12 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

The problem is that SL sells really well regardless of who is performing, so these performances will sell very well even if we get mostly second tier (or worse) dancers in the lead roles.

#13 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

we may need to start a petion to both Kennedy and Mariinsky management, kindly asking them to bring the cast we like ;-)) Lopatkina, Tereshkina, Kondaurova - PLEASE

#14 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:09 AM

YID, one of your wishes might come true. I received the season-subscription brochure a couple of days ago. The photo in the Mariinsky-Swan Lake section is of Lopatkina (with Korsuntsev). I realize that this is not a scientific fool-proof indication but, in the past, the p.r. materials have shown photos of the correct ballerinas who eventually were among those featured, e.g., Somova as Aurora in 2010, Lopatkina in Scheherazade 2011/12, Osmolkina Cinderella 2012/13, Vishneva as Giselle three yrs ago.

#15 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

Let's do somehing. Gergiev (sounds like) conducting openning Eugene Onegin at Met Opera next week. Only Gergiev can make Fateev place Lopatkina (or others Fateev didn't place). Otherwise, Kennedy will see the heavy load of Ms. Skorik (who's not a Mariinsky level swan - i suffered thorugh my performances in CA), and WILL BY NO MEANS pay to see another Swan lake with her. Should we write a group letter and try to pass it to Gergiev? He aslo conducts at Carnegie Hall in October. There's still time for visas and travel arrangements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):