59 replies to this topic

#31 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,021 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

I remember the shock, even though I knew it intellectually, when I was in Adelaide at the beginning of December, where it was 80F/27C and I was in short sleeves, and suddenly Christmas carols were being blasted off a loudspeaker at the top of a huge Christmas tree at a major intersection of their pedestrian shopping zone.

We're so Northern Hemisphere-centric Posted Image

#32 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

I remember the shock, even though I knew it intellectually, when I was in Adelaide at the beginning of December, where it was 80F/27C and I was in short sleeves, and suddenly Christmas carols were being blasted off a loudspeaker at the top of a huge Christmas tree at a major intersection of their pedestrian shopping zone.

We're so Northern Hemisphere-centric Posted Image

But you're likely to experience those same warm temps in December in southern California and south Florida (and elsewhere in the south), yet they have plenty of Christmas enthusiasm, trees, and Nutcrackers. The oddest thing for visitors is that the sun sets so early in December, when the weather feels summer-like.

#33 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

I felt the same way at Christmas time in Buenos Aires and latter in Missiones for the actual day. The decor is everywhere, yet the humidity is stifling. It felt more like 4th of July or Canada Day to me. Everyone in shorts, the men barbecuing outside, and the women preparing salads and desserts. There were even fireworks at midnight (I hope none of them hit Santa's sleigh!)

Teatro Colon did not have Nutcracker that December, but they were dealing with theater worker strike issues, so it's hard to say what they would normally put on.

#34 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

In Jupiter, FL where my parents live you are more likely to see menorahs in shop windows, and I like that. It is nice to see all kinds of things! There are whole plaza with nothing but Hannakuh decorations.

And as others said it can be downright hot at Christmas in Florida. What's funny is that all the tourists are swimming, but native Floridians find the water too cold in winter!

#35 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,217 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

And as others said it can be downright hot at Christmas in Florida. What's funny is that all the tourists are swimming, but native Floridians find the water too cold in winter!

It is still frozen...

#36 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

By the way, I got my subscription renewal in the mail today. That is something new to get it this early. I think the last couple of years I had to call them and ask when I can renew and that was in summer and one time I was put off. With hindsight it makes no sense for subscribers to call them and ask, "When can I renew?" They should be beating down the doors to make sure we do! So this is a change, and it is a positive change.

It's slightly earlier than last year. They tie rapid renewal (by April 5) in with an invitation to a company class, probably presented from the stage of each of MCB's theater venues.

Birdsall, did you also get the automated call (taped message) from Lourdes Lopez, alerting us that the subscription material was in the mail? I liked the idea. She sounds young, smart, cheerful, and welcoming. A good way to introduce her to those who haven't met or heard her. She's a really good communicator with audiences.

No, I didn't get a call. Maybe because I have a Tampa number (out of town)? I have no idea. Or maybe I missed the call. I ignore calls if I don't recognize the number (my friends come up with their names showing). But I would think an automated call would leave a voicemail.

#37 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

I got her call on my answering system in Chicago! So Tampa mustn't be too far. Are you sure MCB has your number?

But yes, she reads her copy well, with style, not like so many people do, trying to read aloud. She is a ballerina, after all, and I try to remind myself never to underestimate dancers!

Although, when she mentioned that they sing in West Side Story Suite, I winced from memory of hearing NYCB singing in Call Me Ben, because, as that rolled on, exhibiting no-expense-spared production values, I sat there thinking, What Suzanne Farrell could have done with that money, and got angry. (Farrell gets enough money to hire a score of dancers for a dozen weeks and puts some larger companies to shame, IMHO.) But I imagine Robbins's work might be superior to Miriam Mahdaviani's.

#38 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

Oh, and speaking of mid-winter Florida weather, anyone who lives in the latitude of New York or Chicago or Washington, even, already has good reason to visit Florida in the wintertime, and if you're reading this site, you may not need to be reminded to check the MCB schedule when you plan your season, but do also check the forecast when you pack. The visit that taught me to do that, the air temperature didn't get above 55o during the day, and went to 40o at night, and some cheaper places to stay (favored by yours truly) have no heat. Swim? I toured the Everglades that trip, wearing some of my Chicago clothes. (At night, my "Florida" clothes supplemented the bed clothes, heaped on top.)

Some of my Chicago clothes, and some of my friend's mosquito repellent! They swarmed around me, but didn't land on me.

#39 brokenwing

brokenwing

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

According to the latest brochure, featuring big, glossy photos of various dancers in studio shots of the ballets premiering, there have been several promotions.

Kleber Rebello and Renan Cerdeiro are newly minted principals (both having risen VERY quickly), while Christina Spigner and Sarah McCahill join the corps. Damian Zamorano is also new to the corps and Leanna Rinaldi is an apprentice. Congrats to all!

#40 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,021 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

Congratulations to Mr. Rebello and Mr. Cerdeiro on their promotions :flowers:

#41 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

Both Rebello and Cerdeiro are great!

#42 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,217 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

I also noticed that Garcia Rodriguez is out of the roster-(he had been very inactive for a long time). Congrats to Rebello and Cerdeiro.

#43 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,217 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:07 PM

Very tasteful.

http://www.youtube.c...hGd0X0_c#at=119

#44 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

We are starting to get information about the preparation for the season.

-- already posted that Patricia Neary was down in Miami to coach Episodes.  (With the Paul Taylor solo coached by Peter Frame.)

-- Jason Fowler has been down to work on Christopher Wheeldon's Polyhymnia.  There's an excellent series of studio shots of Katia Carranza (guest artist) and Chase Swatosh working with Fowler

https://www.facebook...44171089&type=1

-- Merrill Ashley is working on Ballo della Regina (the ballet that Balanchine choreographed for her)..  Here is a brief clip of Ashley talking about the part, with a video that suggests how much warmth, and even the suggestion of floating through, the air can be injected into the technical challenges of this piece ... with the right dancer..

#45 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

-- Jason Fowler has been down to work on Christopher Wheeldon's Polyhymnia.

That would be Polyphonia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):