• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

I haven't seen Duato's Sleeping Beauty or Romeo and Juliet (need to carve out time to watch above videos), but my hometown company does perform Jean-Christophe Maillot's R&J, and I've heard some people express reservations about it in terms of what they think of as the original productions (Lavrovsky and Macmillan)  I think of the Maillot in much the same way I think of Matthew Bourne and his alternate versions of Swan Lake and other heritage works -- I don't expect them to follow the choreographic pathway of the original productions, but I'm curious to see what he does with such central works.  Some of them have been more successful than others on their own terms, but I know that if I were hoping to see a restaging or reconstruction of the original choreography I would be confused and upset.  I wish that the Mikhailovsky could have kept their earlier productions in play along with Duato's new versions -- that could have been a fascinating experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):