This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Mikhailovsky dancers

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 aqualia2008

aqualia2008

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

What do you think about the Mikhailovsky dancers? Not only the international names like Osipova and Vassiliev, or Sarafanov, but also the less famous principals Borchenko, Perren, Lebedev, Shemiunov etc.

#2 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Just some fleeting impressions: I liked both Borchenko (a rather melting Odette) and Bondareva (more soubrette style in the Act I pas de trois in Swan Lake) when I saw them in London a couple of years ago. Not all-time "great" dancers but both very fine. I believe Perren was a hit in London in one of the full length roles--Giselle I think--but I myself only saw her in Spring Waters and she simply didn't have the daring (perhaps was just too tall) to pull off the flamboyant nonsense aspect of the choreography. Shemiunov did not make much of an impression as Siegfried. Those are the only ones I remember by name. I think on the whole, speaking of the company and its soloists/demi-soloists, I thought they were very good with some interesting repertory but, in the three performances I saw, did not strike me as a world-class "great" company--though the character dancing in Swan Lake and "Le Halte de Cavalerie" was terrific: in the latter ballet "character" dancing in both senses of the word was excellent...at least I thought so. Others on this board have seen more of them than I.

#3 aqualia2008

aqualia2008

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:10 AM

Irina Perren is a very fine dancer who performs the whole classical and contemporary repertoire. Her Giselle is impressive - I saw her London performance and it was really touching. With her husband Marat Shemiunov they are one of the most popular ballet couples in Petersburg with many fans. Marat performs both character and classical roles, maybe better in character ones.
Ekaterina Borchenko is famous mainly with the role of Odette/Odile in the Messerer's "Swan lake" that brought her a Golden Mask nomination for the Best female role in ballet and with "Nunc dimittis" created by Nacho Duato specially for her. An interesting fact - after finishing Vaganova, she was invited to join Mariinsky (but without her twin brother) and she refused. She is tall, with very long and beautiful lines, very flexible, with regal posture, musical, with excellent style and feeling. Today she dances mainly with the very young Viktor Lebedev, who is the most promising classical dancer in Petersburg.
Among the others I want to mention Oksana Bondareva who will dance Kitri in London (with Denis Matvienko), Valeria Zapasnikova who just made her debut as Laurencia, Andrey Yakhnyuk, Ivan Zaytsev, Anton Ploom, Sabina Yapparova - all great dancers.

#4 Tiara

Tiara

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:47 AM

I recently saw two performances both with Valeria Zapasnikova in Laurencia at Mikhailovsky Theatre. She is an outstanding ballerina, with virtuoso technique and great presence. The scenes where she incites the villagers to go and fight and her triumphant final scenes were just amazing - especially her expression, which penetrated to the very back row of the theatre. She is a great talent. Lebedev is a truly elegant danseur, with smooth, creamy technique and was in the pas de six, clearly the best male dancer on the stage, also deserving of principal status in any company, and by far better than Marat Shemiunov, whose Frondoso was really extremely sloppy technically.

#5 aqualia2008

aqualia2008

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Irina Perren in Le Corsaire:

Ekaterina Borchenko in Swan lake (not Messerer version):

#6 aqualia2008

aqualia2008

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Film about Nacho Duato's Sleeping beauty:

#7 aqualia2008

aqualia2008

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

Nacho Duato's new Romeo & Juliet

#8 aqualia2008

aqualia2008

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

Complete Don Quixote with Osipova & Vassiliev:

#9 aqualia2008

aqualia2008

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

Complete Romeo & Juliet with Ossipova and Vassiliev

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Jv4Y4apRlgA

#10 aqualia2008

aqualia2008

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:23 AM

Black Swan: Ekaterina Borchenko-Marat Shemiunov

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=R1ypTAF243E

#11 aqualia2008

aqualia2008

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:25 AM

La Sylphide - Vassiliev & Ossipova

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=PqsDBAzhIGc

#12 aqualia2008

aqualia2008

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:27 AM

The Sleeping beauty (Duato) - Bondareva, Sarafanov

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=rOehXoRg1ww

#13 aqualia2008

aqualia2008

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

Swan lake official broadcast:

http://paraclassics....victor-lebedev/

#14 tamicute

tamicute

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

For me, Duato's choreography is all wrong for classical ballets, such as what he staged at Mikhailovsky for Sleeping Beauty and Romeo & Juliet. The previous versions were vastly superior. I am not a fan of any of his choreography, but many like his contemporary choreography. I am old fashioned and over 70 years old.

#15 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

For me, Duato's choreography is all wrong for classical ballets, such as what he staged at Mikhailovsky for Sleeping Beauty and Romeo & Juliet. The previous versions were vastly superior. I am not a fan of any of his choreography, but many like his contemporary choreography. I am old fashioned and over 70 years old.

From what I have seen of Duato's work I totally agree with you. I hate it. Hopefully, the Mikhailovsky will retire some of his ballets. I think his tenure there was a big flop!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):